• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chest Rig vs Tac vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Realising that the issue Tac vest is a piece of junk, I thought id start a discussion on viable alternatives. Ive been discussing this alot with people back at my home unit and in other forums. Id like to hear from some of the infantry types who have been overseas using the different systems. what do you think of a chest rig vs maybe a modular tac vest? Ive been thinking about what to buy myself when I go over, assuming im driving a G wagon on patrols what do you think would be the best option?

I can't say what works best because everyone is different in what they need/ want but here are the top 3 that guys want. (That I carry)

1. High Speed Gear -  Warlord series

2. TAG  -  Operators chest rig

3. High Speed Gear -  Silverthrone

It's very much personal preference based on what your mission/loadout is going to be.

If you're going to be driving/vehicle mounted the majority of the time and your primary weapon will be a C-7A2 (?), I'd recommend a chest rig as it will interface well with your environment (G-Wagen)
Have a look at what we've got available at ICE for a modular setup http://www.icetactical.com/chest-rig.html and if you've got something specific in mind we're more than happy to do custom requests.  We've got Khaki/Coyote Brown and TW Cadpat Cordura available to order.

Driving a G-Wagon with both a tac vest and frag vest on and minimum 6 feet tall sitting on a ballistic blanket pushes you near the steering wheel. Depending on how YOU set up the driver's seat seat you could be right against the steering wheeling impeding your driving. This does not matter what MOSID you are in

I realise it is per preference, thats why im asking you what has worked best for some of you guys, and the positives and negatives, just to give me an idea.

You might want to try a split front chest rig like the TT 2 Piece MAV, or SO Tech Hellcat MK3, the Hellcat has 6 integral magazine pouches. 

There's already 17+ pages of spirited discussion here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41201.0.html

Gentlemen,

At Drop Zone Tactical we are seeing alot of sales in our ModCan Vest as well as our Modular Chest Rig/ Belt Rig in CadPat ™ Ar. In fact we delivered a case of our Chest Rigs to the PPCLI Kit Shop just this week. I was told by kit shop personel that the entire shipment was pre-ordered and was going to A-Stan.

Kind Regards
Brian Kroon

I'm using a 2 peice MAV over hear right now and I couldnt be happier. I would definitly suggest a split front rig as normal chest rigs can be a pain in the ass to get on over armour when they are fully loaded. I would further suggest a chest rig as opposed to a full vest. G Wagons are tight inside, particularily when filled with blast blankets. A chest rig is basically your lowest profile option. Keep in mind that unlike green ops, the training we are used to at home, over here you basically only need to carry ammo, and a med kit on you. Water can be camelbak and the rest of your gear can be in a bug out bag in the wagon.

Just a question for dropzone, how much real estate is there on your modular chest rig? how many pouches can you fit? I was thinking of 3 triple mag pouches, two C9 pouches with grenade pouches piggybacked, as well as one or two field dressing pouches and a rolly polly dump pouch. Also, do you make a Mules Bib to attach to the carrier as well?

allright pretty sound advice. I got one more further question seeing as how the fighting order and the boot type were both a major topic in the news lately regarding deployed troops. Have any of you used the ft lewis danners in afghanistan, I purchasded the black ones and was just curious as to there performance in a place like afghanistan, or whether or not they will make you wear tan boots.

If you are leaving the wire you can wear pretty much whatever you want. However, keep in mind ... ITS HOT! A pair of tall, heavy insulated boots is not usually the best idea. What I see a lot of guys hear doing is going with either the issue vibram boots (which I hate, imaging CWWB with canvas sides and tan), or Swats/Magnums for normal wear. Then bringing a second sturdier boot should they have to operate on foot in steep terrain. From what I can see the boots of choise are generally European. Lowa's and Hanwags. This is just what I am seeing.

Phil's right, once you leave the wire it's your game (depends what brigade your with). Right now we're allowed to wear our own rigs, tac-vests, and lbv's . I have a long range patrol vest in OD from Arktis, Awsome. It holds all 10 mags, nvg's, first aid gear, camelback (internal pouch) and grenades. I've done every thing here so far in terms of LAV and G-wagon (except CC). Driving I found was pretty easy. There are guys here with warlords, blackhawk and TAG rigs who also driven, they never complained. In the end it's your preferance, but I have to say this. I don't care what anyone says, even RSM's, when soldiers look exactly alike, unitimidating. When soldiers purchase, they know what works and can think for themselves and look intimidating. Whatever, good luck!

FourNinerZero,

Unfortunately our Chest Rig will not hold all that stuff, close but not all. It is based on a early British Style and not the "bib" style.

Sorry.

There are lots of photos of it our website if you care to view it.

Kind Regards
Brian

Im gonna go look at your website now brian. Just to clarify about the danners, they are uninsilated, insilated ones are crap for an infanteer I think. Does anyone have any experience with the uninsilated ft lewis danners in afghanistan? I mainly bought them for use in canada, but im just curious as to there performance in the hot sandy weather in astan.

Regarding chest rigs, ive never worn one, when loaded up with 10-15 loaded mags and equipment, are they overly front heavy, or is it a similar feel to the issued TV?

Like Britney Spears said just try one on. From my experiance with them, they aren't too front heavy, aslong as you know how to adjust it to your body an know hot to load it up an spread out the weight on the front an sides your good to go.

Aside from the obvious answer, why is a reservist going overseas to a war zone to begin with, a more appropriate answer would be what is your role? I mean no offence by my first comment (jeez, what is the army coming to when you have to worry about offending people).

Like I said, it is determined by your role. Are you a rifleman, a C9 gunner, a C6 gunner? Of course it is by personal preference, but that is more of a comfort value. The obvious choice is modular. Make it so you can attach and detach pouches as you see fit. If you go with a vest then you naturally have less room since you have to leave the back open for your ruck sack or patrol pack. If on day patrols then a detachable rear back pouch is one option but keep in mind of water IE. camel back. Just go with a separate patrol pack although less comfortable.

The other option is a webbing style. Although it is unpopular it may be what your looking for. Modular or fixed it can alleviate some problems and it will carry more and interfere less with a back pack. Some like it. Some don't. You can consider it.

Whatever your choice, flexibility is the key. You are no doubt aware the TV is grossly inadequate. The bigger question is wether or not you are allowed to wear it.

@mike01

The guys in my unit deployed in astan are doing DNS, convoy security, and some may get on the odd foot patrol. Some of the guys have been issued up to 15 mags. So there playing a fairly significant part in this big picture.

I could be doing those things, however since i got my drivers course im gonna assume I might be driving a g wagon. If not that then possibly either DNS, convoy security, or maybe individual augmentee which I doubt due to the lack of experience I have. But who knows, currently my assumption is I will be a G wagon driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back