• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

Depends on when. If the line is closed by then, the sticker shock would scare us off, or the "dumbass, none are available now" would make us grimace.

The line closing was a little bit of Boeing hard bargaining. It's was a bit of yes it isclosing but not really. Plus Germany just ordered too. There is talk of others too.

I am super amazed they got it across he line. Cross fingers till airframes on the tarmac. Where is the PM? How they they maneuver around him. Good job who was manhandling the file.

The line closing was a little bit of Boeing hard bargaining. It's was a bit of yes it isclosing but not really. Plus Germany just ordered too. There is talk of others too.

I am super amazed they got it across he line. Cross fingers till airframes on the tarmac. Where is the PM? How they they maneuver around him. Good job who was manhandling the file.
I wonder if Anand demanded that the P-8's get bought and She would take her lumps in Treasury. Helped the base in her childhood home.

Now, will we 'Canadianize' or change-order this into procurement purgatory?

My (uneducated) guess is this will be like the C17s or C-130Js- we get the bog standard model, except paint job.

Which is a good thing.
Based on the timelines in the release I suspect you're correct
The first P-8A should be delivered in 2026, and with an average of one aircraft delivered per month, all of the aircraft could be delivered as early as fall 2027. We anticipate full operational capability by 2033.

lets start that fight, go really old school,bring back NCO pilots, flight Sergeant, etc
There’s a thread about this but the only folks who have non-officer (to include US Warrant Officers, which are actually officers, not like our version of Warrant Officers) are the British Army. And even then, they have commissioned Pilots (e.g. Prince Harry was a Capt flying Apaches).

Nobody else has actual NCM pilots. There’s probably a reason there.

There’s a thread about this but the only folks who have non-officer (to include US Warrant Officers, which are actually officers, not like our version of Warrant Officers) are the British Army. And even then, they have commissioned Pilots (e.g. Prince Harry was a Capt flying Apaches).

Nobody else has actual NCM pilots. There’s probably a reason there.

NCM pilots are a solution in search of a problem. Pay would not be materially different; the RCAF contracted pilot training capacity would continue to be a significant limiting factor; the only "saving" would be no requirement for a university degree - but that time would otherwise be spent waiting for training.

NCM pilots are a solution in search of a problem. Pay would not be materially different; the RCAF contracted pilot training capacity would continue to be a significant limiting factor; the only "saving" would be no requirement for a university degree - but that time would otherwise be spent waiting for training.
Yup.

Also, say we do get NCM Pilots. That’s fine in Canada, but they deal with the world and let’s be honest here, a Capt or Maj has a bit more clout than a MCpl or Sgt in other countries.

Imagine being the Aircraft Commander as an E-7 (WO) and going to somewhere like the Middle East, where NCMs are from the “lower classes” or from other countries. How seriously would they take a request for fuel or services from an NCM, regardless of country?

As much as we talk about rank inflation and the number of GOFOs, part of that is because the rest of the world expects a certain rank to be a certain position. If everyone else is bringing a BGen to the table and Canada says “well the job is really a LCol, so we’ll bring a LCol”, that LCol is not going to have the same voice at the table despite any work they do.

Back