• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

LAV6, ACSV, TAPV, MSVS, LVM… 🤷🏻‍♂️
M777, LCMR, MMR, LRSS, GBAD, the list goes on. ;)

I'd feel better if the Indirect Fires Modernization project wasn't talking about equipping both the regular and the reserve force but was looking at only 16-18 guns (8 deployed, 8 force generation and 2 spares) We're once again thinking small in the extreme. When will we get out of the battle group rut that Afghanistan put everyone in - 6 guns here, 15 tanks there - crap we had a lot more than that on my CTCC (and yes @dapaterson , those were Centurions) and on Black Bear (Okay - Leo 1s)

🍻

So, on topic, one question is what to do with the Flight Engineers. The Aurora (and P-3 Orion) had them sitting behind the pilots, but the P-8 doesn’t.

That question has been mentioned a few times on social media, but I think they will either be shifted to the Griffon, Chinook, or Herc H (not J) fleets. Or, perhaps a VOT to another trade.

So, on topic, one question is what to do with the Flight Engineers. The Aurora (and P-3 Orion) had them sitting behind the pilots, but the P-8 doesn’t.

That question has been mentioned a few times on social media, but I think they will either be shifted to the Griffon, Chinook, or Herc H (not J) fleets. Or, perhaps a VOT to another trade.

Remuster them all to Hull Tech.

The FMS announcement is interesting. Gives a good view of all the kit that comes with the P8. I don't know if there is anything unusual in there, that would suggest any Canadianization.

Interesting that there are no munitions in the FMS announcement. I’m assuming the Mark54 torpedoes and sonobuoys from the CP140 will just transfer over but it would have been interesting to see air launched Harpoons or SLAM- ER included. I don’t believe those are in our inventory currently.

Maybe we will see FSM buys of LRASM and HAAWC in the near future.

Does the P-8 have a larger galley than the CP-140? More work for the Airborne Coffee Supply Officer?
I’m fairly certain that a galley large enough for OFFSTA pizzas and battlefield 3-course meals is part of the HLMRs.

And let’s be serious here - the Acoustics AES Ops are the masters at converting food to poop on the aircraft.

The FMS announcement is interesting. Gives a good view of all the kit that comes with the P8. I don't know if there is anything unusual in there, that would suggest any Canadianization.

The first P-8A is expected in 2026, followed by about one a month until the fall of 2027. Full operational capability is anticipated for 2033. The only Canadian modification will be the paint scheme.

And to top it off, to reduce costs the RCAF can no longer book 5 star hotels, 4 star max ;)

Oh My God Omg GIF

The “unusual” part will be the kit is integrated and “serviceable”; not a claim the fleet, PMO, WSM, or GDMS-C can honestly make about Block 4…

Modern EO/IR, CM suite. If I were a reporter asking questions, I’d ask if Canada is implementing HAAWC (announcement is purchase for P-8A vice P-8I; no MAD). My personal opinion is you need one, or the other. I’d opt for both.

There might be a group/project looking at all flying NCM trades and a form of “amalgamation/re-alignment”.

Interesting that there are no munitions in the FMS announcement. I’m assuming the Mark54 torpedoes and sonobuoys from the CP140 will just transfer over but it would have been interesting to see air launched Harpoons or SLAM- ER included. I don’t believe those are in our inventory currently.

The 140 isn’t currently carrying 54s. Current bombbay and wing stores are limited to torp and SKAD (no wing stores). A size sonos are A size sonos - the 140 launches them using CADs, the P-8 uses compressed air.

Last edited:

According to the Skies Magazine article "the government expects to spend C$10.4 billion on the new fleet, training system, advanced weapons, and upgrades to infrastructure."

So its very possible that the weapons systems will be bought separately.

As for sonobuoys, the same article states "The Aurora’s static passive sonobuoy system will be replaced by a multi-static active array system."

Back