• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Computer Engineering Technology related to becoming a Signal Operator?

Occam said:
Most of those skills won't be performed by anyone in uniform, the way things are heading.  You'll need to create/modify users in AD and other simple tasks, and the rest will be a second line function done by CS (civvies).

I think Joe was going with the more Black side of the house. especially in the LCSS. I find it hard to believe they would use a CS to fix a FOB LCSS kit, or a TSL, or an HCLOS outside the wire. We are in the business of MILITARY communications after all. We need pers that have the technical qulaifications, but are also trained at the core to shoot back when things get dicey. The message must be passed regardless of medium or tactical situation. Combat Techies are a necessary thing.

rmc_wannabe said:
I think Joe was going with the more Black side of the house. especially in the LCSS. I find it hard to believe they would use a CS to fix a FOB LCSS kit, or a TSL, or an HCLOS outside the wire. We are in the business of MILITARY communications after all. We need pers that have the technical qulaifications, but are also trained at the core to shoot back when things get dicey. The message must be passed regardless of medium or tactical situation. Combat Techies are a necessary thing.

Understood.  Those tasks you described (and anything else used "in the field') will be carried out by uniformed people out of necessity.  The TLANs, and domestic networks etc. are a different matter, though.  Rights are being pulled back to the civvies just about everywhere you look.

Occam said:
Understood.  Those tasks you described (and anything else used "in the field') will be carried out by uniformed people out of necessity.  The TLANs, and domestic networks etc. are a different matter, though.  Rights are being pulled back to the civvies just about everywhere you look.

For domestic / static networks that has been the case for the last few years that yes, they've been moving all those capabilities to the civvies, but with the cutbacks the military is looking at doing and trimming the 'civilian' contractor fat we have, I'm wondering if it's going to get axed again soon. Last I heard, civvies from 742 said they cannot get civvy IT people to come onboard often because it's all 1 year contracts with no pension and crappy benefits. Maybe that's changed since I've been overseas in the last little while though. It very well could have with the way the economy is going, I'm sure someone with the skills will jump on it.

As for LCSS (Tacnet), it is supported by DLCSPM which does has some civilians assigned to us and we have some contractors assigned to us on site sometimes but it's guys in uniform who run the whole thing.

Back