• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contradiction on the CF Recruiting Site

_Ditch_

Inactive
Reaction score
From One Section of the site...

Q. I‘m a woman - will that make a difference?

A. Absolutely not. The Canadian Army offers women and men exactly the same opportunities and expects the same performance from both.
Yet from Fitness Guide section...

Minimum Performance Objectives

Test Item - Men / Women
Push-ups
Under 35 years of age 19 / 9
35 and Older 14 / 7
Sit ups
Under 35 years of age 19 / 15
35 and Older 17 / 12
Hand Grip (in kilograms)
Under 35 years of age 75 / 50
35 and Older 73 / 48
(Sorry the table doesn‘t stay in the same format when copied and pasted)

Seems to me that the Army does not expect the same performance from men & women. Curious. :p

Ha well yeah...don‘t make much sense does it? The first statement *reeks* of the Liberal party..

:cdn: I understand your confusion / frustration with the different min. standards. This is how it was explained to me on my BFTA crse. (basic fitness trg assistant): The military decided to replace the "Step Test" as the standard test because it was time consuming and less accurate than other methods of testing. How the standards were established is they "evaluated approx 600 CF personnel on five common military tasks. (Stretcher carry, sandbag carry, high / low crawl, entrenchment dig, and sea evacuation) Statistical analysis of the results then yielded the pass / fail criteria." The CF Exercise Prescription (EXPRES) predictor was developed from the fitness profiles of both Males and Females that participated in the 1985 - 88 study of the 5 common tasks. In other words, the males that passed the 5 common tasks were able to do a min of 19 push-ups..., and the females a min of 14 push-ups. Long story short, a single standard for male and female was used to measure the 5 common tasks, they then translated that to the CF Expres prgm... Hope this kinda helps... :cdn:

I think you‘re taking it out of context. You‘re pointing out a fitness specification used during the application process but forgetting the much broader picture of a career in the forces.

An infantryman at a certain level would be expected to perform (within the expectations of his training, the requirements of the job, and the MOC) the same as another. Keep in mind that an infantryman performs various duties a naval weapons tech doesn‘t and vis-versa as an example. Levels of fitness, location of duty, deployments, and area of expertise is different so you can‘t possibly equate the two in terms of performance.

I‘d speculate the quote applies to members of the Forces in general and what is expected of them.

"Levels of fitness, location of duty, deployments, and area of expertise is different so you can‘t possibly equate the two in terms of performance."

That being said you should be a soldier first. You should be healthy and in shape. The army is so critical now days on apperence, how does it look to other countries to see a canadian officer or sgt who weights 350 pounds, can‘t see their feet and loses their break walking to lunch.

I agree, it‘s a little silly to assume a clerk should have the same level of fitness as an infantry soldier. That doesn‘t mean they can letr themselves go. Combat arms should have a higher then normal level of fitness. You have to admit, the fitness level of a lot of the guys and gals in the CF is just as bad as my grammar.

Umm, Ghost...who said anything about letting themselves go? :D Take your pet bitches to another thread!!! :p

I think the point was made (and answered) about a seeming contradition re: one standard for all.

The constant whine on this forum about the Liberal Party is getting old, nbk. Canada is a country where everyone is considered equal regardless of the colour of their skin, their genitals, what language they speak, or what name they have for God. Get over it. Better yet, if you don‘t like it, find a less "liberal" country in which to live. They tend to be more discriminatory than Canada about who they let in, though, so better hope you too have the right racial profile before you denounce that Canadian citizenship. ;)

During SHARP training on BMQ they told us that there was one fitness standards, but multiple ways of measuring that standard.
I did notice that on course, when it comes to PT, the females aren‘t given any special treatment. they are expected to do as many pushups and run as far and as fast as everybody else.

Ghost>

I didn‘t mean to imply that CF members were in or out of shape or that infantry are in better shape that clerks. That wasn‘t my point. Ditch‘s comment referenced only one little bit of information, physical fitness, but neglected other factors that affect overall "performance".

The constant whine on this forum about the Liberal Party is getting old, nbk. Canada is a country where everyone is considered equal regardless of the colour of their skin, their genitals, what language they speak, or what name they have for God. Get over it. Better yet, if you don‘t like it, find a less "liberal" country in which to live. They tend to be more discriminatory than Canada about who they let in, though, so better hope you too have the right racial profile before you denounce that Canadian citizenship.
Woops looks like I caused some confusion...what I meant by what I said, is that it seems like the Liberal govt because they always say one thing and do another. NOT because I am opposed in anyway to what they have said.

One hand is saying one thing and the other hand is doing the opposite.

Again, I‘m probably a lot more liberal minded and socially forward thinking then most people, even in this country.

Thats the point *I* was trying to make though. Obviously combat arms have more physically demanding jobs and i dont expect a clerk oir supply tech or whoever to lift weights every day or do 21 KM runs BUT some soldiers, combat arms included) are just way over the limit.

I‘ve heard that generally women are better in english type classes or tests and men excel at math. Yes some girls are great in math but some girls also out run and outlift men. My question is, how come the aptitude test isn‘t tailored to someones gender like the physical test is?

It‘s not really a contradiction...it‘s more of an equivalency. For example, 1000m is equivalent to 1km while 19 guy push ups are equivalent to 9 girl push ups. Yes I know distance cannot be compared to endurance in this manner but that is the way I justify it.

P.S Ghost....that care package from the unit won‘t reach you for awhile...it‘s got to go to Petawawa, then to somewhere in Germany before it gets to you in Bosnia.

I was the CNE this summer and usually make a habit of going to the recruiting desk that they set up to see what‘s what.
When I arrived at the desk I was horrified (YES HORRIFIED) to see what must have been a three hundred fifty pound individual (at that weight male or female doesn‘t matter-it‘s disgusting!) sitting there and trying to recruit people for the CF.
What sort of image is that going to portray to a prospective new reruit who may be interested in joining up?!
And they say they are having trouble recruiting these days...wonder why? :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

that seems to be universal with all the recruiting centres. couldn‘t quite make it to anything good.

While in the recruiting process, a WO told me each CF member gets an annual fitness assessment, either a 13 km march in the Army or a shuttle run in Air Force/Navy. Heres a link:

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/fitness/expres_e.asp#1

Granted theres all kinds of fitness levels and
meeting the minimums does not make you the Six Million Dollar Man. On the other hand, a 350 lb blob as you describe couldn‘t possibly pass that test. Either you‘re exaggerating or that 350 lb blob could outrun you. Whats the deal? If this makes you turned off from enlisting, do you think the pretty face of your MCpl won‘t?

Back