• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

COVID vaccine mass law tort?

A false attestation would probably have primarily been an issue if one were to have been deployed. If you attested as being vaccinated, and then DAG red because your immunizations are not up to date, that might be problematic.
False Statements is a NDA Section 125 offense, regardless of deployment or not.

Yes, but a false attestation could have flown under the radar for an extended period, particularly if the member were ResF. We did not ask for proof of vaccination from ResF pers.

Irrelevant to my statement about the legality.

And yet one third of your post was dedicated to the legality. I was answering that. Not sure what your point is by listing things that have no bearing but you forgot « failure to follow lawful command » as a reason to be dismissed or career action taken against a member.

It was. It’s in the order. And it was a choice with consequences. So, get the vaccine as ordered.

An order was given. By the CDS. And was in writing.
I wasn't speaking about legality in the sense of breaking the law, ie criminal behaviour. I was talking about them doing an end around current regulations. They could have changed the regulations. Breaking your own rules when they are inconvenient is a particular trend that pisses me off with the leadership. I once had a discussion with someone about how the new rules he had written essentially made the RCAF combat ineffictive. When I pointed out how long it would take to follow all the rules in a war time scramble situation, his response was that he would probably just break the rules and ask forgiveness later. To his credit, he did see reason when I pointed it out. I think it was just long exposure to that rules are suggestions rather than hard and fast constraints. However they are constraints we have the power to change. If the old rule doesn't work, make a risk assessment, make decision and change the rules.

The problem was that no one wanted the accountability that came with a real order or that came with opening up privledged medical information to the CoC. There were a number of ways they could have gone about getting the CAF vaccinated using the lawful authority already present within the CA. They chose none of those ways and the leadership's already poor reputation suffered for it.

I wasn't speaking about legality in the sense of breaking the law, ie criminal behaviour. I was talking about them doing an end around current regulations. They could have changed the regulations. Breaking your own rules when they are inconvenient is a particular trend that pisses me off with the leadership. I once had a discussion with someone about how the new rules he had written essentially made the RCAF combat ineffictive. When I pointed out how long it would take to follow all the rules in a war time scramble situation, his response was that he would probably just break the rules and ask forgiveness later. To his credit, he did see reason when I pointed it out. I think it was just long exposure to that rules are suggestions rather than hard and fast constraints. However they are constraints we have the power to change. If the old rule doesn't work, make a risk assessment, make decision and change the rules.

The problem was that no one wanted the accountability that came with a real order or that came with opening up privledged medical information to the CoC. There were a number of ways they could have gone about getting the CAF vaccinated using the lawful authority already present within the CA. They chose none of those ways and the leadership's already poor reputation suffered for it.

That presupposes that there can only be one lawful way to achieve a certain end, when in the policy/regulatory realm that’s often not the case. Doing something a different way does not necessarily mean that some other rule was broken.

Feet and knees together...

External review found military's COVID-19 vaccine policy violated Charter of Rights​

• Policy resulted in 299 people being released and another 108 leaving the armed forces on their own

A tribunal that is part of the military grievance process has found that the Canadian Armed Forces' COVID-19 vaccine policy violated its members' Charter rights.

The Military Grievances External Review Committee reviews grievances that are referred to it by the chief of defence staff, and provides the chief with non-binding findings and recommendations.

In all, 157 grievances have been filed with the independent tribunal over the military's vaccination policy, which took effect in the fall of 2021 and remained in place for nearly a year before being updated to apply more narrowly.

Because dozens of similar grievances are being considered at the same time, the committee took the step of releasing three annexes in mid-July that laid out its analysis in order to streamline future cases.

Feet and knees together...

External review found military's COVID-19 vaccine policy violated Charter of Rights​

• Policy resulted in 299 people being released and another 108 leaving the armed forces on their own

A tribunal that is part of the military grievance process has found that the Canadian Armed Forces' COVID-19 vaccine policy violated its members' Charter rights.

The Military Grievances External Review Committee reviews grievances that are referred to it by the chief of defence staff, and provides the chief with non-binding findings and recommendations.

In all, 157 grievances have been filed with the independent tribunal over the military's vaccination policy, which took effect in the fall of 2021 and remained in place for nearly a year before being updated to apply more narrowly.

Because dozens of similar grievances are being considered at the same time, the committee took the step of releasing three annexes in mid-July that laid out its analysis in order to streamline future cases.

One of the cases, which includes the three annexes:

“The Military Grievances External Review Committee, formerly the Canadian Forces Grievance Board, is an administrative tribunal with quasi-judicial powers” and those powers are: to make recommendations. This official web page seems to have a bit of an inflated description. The committee does some great work, but the terms “tribunal” and “powers” seem grandiose. I also wonder about the qualification of the committee to “rule” on what is or is not constitutional. There’s a retired CAF lawyer, a member with degrees in dispute resolution law, and the rest have educational background covering public administration, project management, and engineering.

“The Military Grievances External Review Committee, formerly the Canadian Forces Grievance Board, is an administrative tribunal with quasi-judicial powers” and those powers are: to make recommendations. This official web page seems to have a bit of an inflated description. The committee does some great work, but the terms “tribunal” and “powers” seem grandiose. I also wonder about the qualification of the committee to “rule” on what is or is not constitutional. There’s a retired CAF lawyer, a member with degrees in dispute resolution law, and the rest have educational background covering public administration, project management, and engineering.
I wondered about that, too.

They are not a judicial body; the Committee is not composed of judges. For them to declare a decision a charter breach seems way outside their pay grade.

I wondered about that, too.

They are not a judicial body; the Committee is not composed of judges. For them to declare a decision a charter breach seems way outside their pay grade.

They aren’t a court, but there’s case law to establish that administrative tribunals have authority to consider Charter issues in the context of an individual case, without establishing binding precedent. The MGERC is such a tribunal, albeit not one that’s very highly empowered. “Administrative tribunal” is an administrative law term that broadly describes quasi-judicial bodies empowered by statute to rule on administrative matters within a relatively narrow set of arcs.

So the MGERC is able to lawfully reach the decisions it did, even if it’s a stretch, and the decisions themselves unlikely to withstand judicial review.

They aren’t a court, but there’s case law to establish that administrative tribunals have authority to consider Charter issues in the context of an individual case, without establishing binding precedent. The MGERC is such a tribunal, albeit not one that’s very highly empowered. “Administrative tribunal” is an administrative law term that broadly describes quasi-judicial bodies empowered by statute to rule on administrative matters within a relatively narrow set of arcs.

So the MGERC is able to lawfully reach the decisions it did, even if it’s a stretch, and the decisions themselves unlikely to withstand judicial review.
I get that. I am just thinking that they could have reached the same decision without opening the door to a judicial review, had they tempered their language.

One of the cases, which includes the three annexes:

Did a quick scan of the linked summary and the first annex ("Constitutionality. . ."). Without commenting about the authority of the committee (or the quality of its decision making) to make such a "recommendation", I was surprised that there was no reference in either the summary or the annex of 15(1), 15(2) or 15(9) of the CHRA, nor of DAOD 5023-0 as well as no mention of "universality of service" or "bona fide occupational requirement".

I would have assumed (as always subject to being judged an ass) that a basic requirement for the universal vaccination of all active CF members against COVID 19 was to make them available (and prepared) for duty regardless of location.

Edited to add:

In the understanding that the committee reaches it conclusions solely on the written submission of the griever and any subsequent responses to that grievance without an open hearing in which parties to the process can question or challenge, I should also make clear that the "references" that I noted above as not appearing in their decision were also absent from the first two CDS directives on implementing COVID vaccination in the CAF. However, while those complete magic phrases did not appear, in the first directive the CDS's "intent" was stated.
CDS Intent. To introduce COVID-19 vaccination as a requirement for CAF members to perform work-related duties in order to ensure the health and safety of the Defence Team and to increase the force health protection of the CAF.

Last edited:
Many employers imposed COVID vaccine mandates functionally equivalent to CAF, including termination of employment for noncompliance. Plenty of other cases have litigated various measures and restrictions in the context of the COVID pandemic. None of them rely on S.126 NDA or on the authority of military superiors to give orders to be lawful, and so far they have an strong record of being upheld in court, including in some cases when subjected to a S.1 Charter analysis. See Harjee v Ontario 2022 ONSC 7033 beginning at paragraph 85 for a good survey of a number of these cases.

As I've stated before, there was already evidence from such employer imposed mandates, including those for municipal emergency workers in places such as Toronto, that these workplaces were beginning to experience mass outbreaks not long after laying off their unvaccinated workers. And this was well before the CAF mandate came into force... why would this be?

The medical literature at the time did not give strong evidence that vaccines were highly effective at preventing spread specifically... and preventing spread to others was the main justification for imposing the mandates, not that the unvaccinated persons themselves were at higher individual risk of sever outcomes if they contracted COVID. Importantly, in my opinion, is that most of the vaccine mandates and "passport" policies were coupled with the loosening of restrictions (capacity limits, masking requirements, etc.), both formally and informally, for vaccinated individuals without hard proof that being vaccinated significantly reduced the risk of spread, only the reduced risk of symptomatic infection and severe outcomes for the individual. There was a general assumption that reducing symptomatic infections (which the vaccines did) would significantly reduce viral spread but we knew since the early days of the pandemic that one of the most difficult characteristics of COVID was its ability to spread amongst the asymptomatic. When the omicron virus was starting to spread like wildfire, many were beginning to flock back to packed sports arenas, concerts, theatres, restaurants/bars, without any restrictions... except that the undesirable "unvaccinated" were not welcome.

Several judges have stated that these infringements of rights were justified at the time, but they all seem to gloss over the actually trying to justify how such policies, targeted towards those of working age, were expected to produce better health outcomes.

As I've stated before, there was already evidence from such employer imposed mandates, including those for municipal emergency workers in places such as Toronto, that these workplaces were beginning to experience mass outbreaks not long after laying off their unvaccinated workers.

I just know how the union arbitation went,

Requiring employees to become vaccinated is by a considerable measure the most effective protection against transmission and/or the serious consequences of infection. The requirement to be vaccinated attempts to protect both the unvaccinated employee and those vaccinated employees working with unvaccinated employees.
Robert J. Herman
Arbitrator
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onla/d...UrlHash=&resultIndex=7&offset=12758.400390625

Unvaxxed union members who were fired were eventually offerred their jobs back.

With only one mandate ( same as members unvaxxed for influenza ): "Wear full PPE on all respiratory illness calls."

There was no back pay for lost wages.

Unvaxxed non-union employees were not re-hired. They are free to hire lawyers. Good luck to them.

I agree, make reservists uproot their families at the whim of an MWO/Maj every 2-5 years. Fair is fair after all. If they don't like it, they can wait six months to get out of the job too.

Let's start at just making them to show up 1 night a week.

Baby steps young Padawan ;)

Requiring employees to become vaccinated is by a considerable measure the most effective protection against transmission and/or the serious consequences of infection. The requirement to be vaccinated attempts to protect both the unvaccinated employee and those vaccinated employees working with unvaccinated employees.
Robert J. Herman
Arbitrator
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onla/d...UrlHash=&resultIndex=7&offset=12758.400390625
My argument is that the first half of the arbitrator's statement is simply not true, and thus the reasoning for the decision is faulty. There was never considerable scientific literature proving that the available COVID vaccines meaningfully prevented spread, and now there is substantial evidence that they don't. This is not just looking back in hindsight but concerns that were brought up by health professionals at the time. And by stating that it is "by a considerable measure the most effective protection against transmission", he is stating that vaccination is significantly more effective than masking and other preventative measures from preventing transmission... find me a study that suggests CAOVID vaccination was more successful than masking and limiting contacts (such as through capacity limits) at preventing viral spread. The data seems pretty clear now that when we had vaccine passports and let vaccinated individuals freely mix amongst themselves (without masks or capacity limits) while keeping the unvaccinated out of public spaces, the virus (then Omicron) spread like wild fire to the point where over half the population had experienced an infection.

In April 2022, over 6 months after workplace mandates started being instituted, the following study was published and lauded widely as "proof" that unvaccinated individuals posed a significant risk to vaccinated individuals. However, the study was based solely off mathematical models that compared different levels of "baseline immunity", without ever using real data from the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 vaccines were later shown to not provide much, if any, "baseline immunity" but rather to be effective at reducing symptoms (for a time).

An example of how the study was held up by much of the media as justification for vaccine passports:

An example of the criticism to the study:

Back