• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

TL/DR: White Snr NCM bad.

At least by the end the survey clarified that it didn't dig into what parts people had issues with, and expressed that perhaps better research is warranted.

It’s more - most of the CAF doesn’t like it. Your more likely to not like them if your older, in a leadership position, and not part of a visible minority / LGBTQ. I don’t think it ever implies good or bad frankly. Honestly the whole survey seems to point out the giant nothing burger that this controversy actual is in the CAF.

It’s more - most of the CAF doesn’t like it. Your more likely to not like them if your older, in a leadership position, and not part of a visible minority / LGBTQ. I don’t think it ever implies good or bad frankly. Honestly the whole survey seems to point out the giant nothing burger that this controversy actual is in the CAF.
I don't agree that it's a "giant nothing burger" if, as you say that most of the CAF doesn't like it.

No, I meant your constant "Army is bad" bias as if there's never been anything wrong with RCN culture, dress or deportment.

Doesn’t like it, but not strongly opposed to, look through the stats. It’s all pretty minor stuff.
It was all pretty minor stuff before they made the changes. It always starts with minor changes...death of a thousand cuts...

No, I meant your constant "Army is bad" bias as if there's never been anything wrong with RCN culture, dress or deportment.

That's not fair, I am a huge supporter of the ARes. I completely feel in love with that organization during my time at 36 CBG.

And I have always given the Army credit for my time as MS and PO2, and I have been vocal about both of these.

This forum has a bias towards Green, and so does my Branch. And I will push against that. That doesn't mean Army is bad; it means often the Army, being the majority of the CAF, forgets there are other things the CAF does.

The slides towards the end I find were more indicative of some of the culture issues these dress issues have identified. If you are older and/or higher up the food chain, you are more comfortable making appearance changes, and feel they are more accepted. Does this imply that we believe Jr personnel haven't earned the right to look non-conforming?

The slides towards the end I find were more indicative of some of the culture issues these dress issues have identified. If you are older and/or higher up the food chain, you are more comfortable making appearance changes, and feel they are more accepted. Does this imply that we believe Jr personnel haven't earned the right to look non-conforming?
I suspect some Jr. pers feel like they can't embrace the regs because their bosses have expressed a dislike for the regs.

There really isn't any way around that, unless we forbid people from expressing their personal opinion on all topics CAF. Might make this site a tad boring if that happens...

The results of that survey are not surprising and should have been fully anticipated by leadership with a clue. This radical dress reg change was just another example of misplaced efforts to improve things but did the opposite. Did the CAF really think the majority of it's service personnel identify with those kinds of things? Do most people who join a life of service and self sacrifice hold florescent colored hair and face piercings in high regard or necessity for a life in uniform?

"Whew, I wasn't going to sign that blank cheque offering my life to this country if I couldn't come to work in blue dreadlocks" - Said no current CAF member or recruit ever.

Of course the dress regs needed modernization, but this was pure idiocy designed to appease a tiny faction and/or attempt to recruit those who'd not likely commit to a life of service to begin with. Total disregard for the majority of it's members, the most likely recruit base, and damaging to the culture of uniformity and discipline military service requires.

Hilarious to watch unfold, however. :ROFLMAO:

Of course the dress regs needed modernization, but this was pure idiocy designed to appease a tiny faction and/or attempt to recruit those who'd not likely commit to a life of service to begin with.

If we were trying to recruit people who are currently occupying the lawns of Canadian Universities, it was a perfect change.

While a person's hair colour doesn't generally matter to me, I can say that most fluorescent hair colours don't appeal to me personally. However, I have yet to have anyone provide any empirical data that indicates it poses more of a threat in an operational environment than someone with bleach blonde or pure white hair, both of which have always been allowed in the dress Regs.

It was all pretty minor stuff before they made the changes. It always starts with minor changes...death of a thousand cuts...
I’d say that BEARDFORGEN (and to a lesser extent PONYTAILFORGEN) would disagree.

Remember, there was much gnashing of teeth on social media when BEARDFORGEN came out, calling that “unprofessional”…

My big takeaway is actually that in all respects, there is a decently large chunk who are neutral.

While one could argue that “neutral” means that they would have been fine if the changes weren’t made, it also means that they’re good with the current changes.

Also, just looking at the questions, Questioons 7-10 (the implementation) would be the ones I’d focus on, especially if I was a junior member.

My big takeaway is actually that in all respects, there is a decently large chunk who are neutral.

While one could argue that “neutral” means that they would have been fine if the changes weren’t made, it also means that they’re good with the current changes.

Also, just looking at the questions, Questioons 7-10 (the implementation) would be the ones I’d focus on, especially if I was a junior member.

Or, they are happy with some beard/hair length permissions but question a lot of other things so they are 'undecided/neutral' on the whole package...

While a person's hair colour doesn't generally matter to me, I can say that most fluorescent hair colours don't appeal to me personally. However, I have yet to have anyone provide any empirical data that indicates it poses more of a threat in an operational environment than someone with bleach blonde or pure white hair, both of which have always been allowed in the dress Regs.
I think hair colour is often a distraction from the main complaint that I hear, people look scraggly and unkempt. Neon hair in a professional looking style (short, up in a bun, brushed shoulder length, etc.) is better than hair in a natural colour that is all over the place.

Back