• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Degree in Kinesiology

winchable

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Posting this after a chat I had with a buddy of mine who just got his degree in Kines, He's abroad right now so I'm just doing this as a favour. It's also a program I've been accepted to at Acadia next fall, though I'm not sold on it.

He was wondering what he could do in the military with a kines degree, I'm wondering the same too as I'm not sure what (apart from the trades that accept all degrees) he would do where he could actually apply his kines knowhow.

So if there's any Kinesiologists out there, stand and be heard.

EDIT: Just read up on This "kinesiology" you speak of and i would suggest bio science oficer

just a thought

http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/home/jobs_e.aspx

Thanks aesop, I never noticed that "health services" career heading.

Don't sell it too short 48, it does have a reputation as "jock" degree but it can be as hard as one wants depending on the area you choose to concentrate in.
There's also doctors, physiotherapists (I'll take the rapists for 100) coaches, etc. basically anyone who deals with the movement of the body.

Physed is one of the concentrations you can take though.

Does the CF have anything like the British Army Physical Training Corps?  That might be an option, getting into something like that with the CF.  Although like Che said Kinesiology can be applied in many different areas and not just for teaching gym class.  I know a couple of people with Kinesiology degrees out here on the West Coast, one of them is a physiotherapist another works for a company that makes custom running shoes for people...so yes there are alot of different options...

Does the army employ physiotherapists, physical trainers and what not?  Are they actually serving CF personnel or are they contracted civilians?

It is contracted to civilians. The Physical education and recreation Branch of the CF dispeared in the mid-90s.  The PERI trade used to be a remuster for NCMs and was pretty demanding.  Now it is run by civilians, some ex-PERI, and part of CFPSA.

darn shame

Hi
I graduated with a Human Kinetics degree 10 years ago...I am a Med A reservist and as a civi I work as a computer programmer, go figure?? Most of my fellow grads went on to teacher's college, but some have found a career in public health or health admin jobs(but that is all civi side). Check out the health services in the CF....you may find something?
Good luck...

I've got a few friend taking Kines at Acadia, though they're not in the reserves. Most of them plan on going into physiotherapy, education and things in the health care line.

Yeah I was just talking to him on messenger a minute ago while he's on his vacation.
He's more the lab-type so I told him to look into the health services field in the CF.

Pending A student loan I'll be there in the fall and with any luck with the West Novies shortly thereafter.

Thanks all.

Che said:
Don't sell it too short 48, it does have a reputation as "jock" degree but it can be as hard as one wants depending on the area you choose to concentrate in.

I didn't intend that comment as an insult or anything.  Kenisiology actually does have some military applications considering how many injuries we get.  I know most sports-therapists have kinesiology degrees....seems like it could be a good thing to have on courses too.

Che,

Or you could join the Service Battalion and drive 120 km with me every night!  LOL

Back