• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Discovery Channel special: Anatomy of a Warship: HMCS Winnipeg

If anyone wants to see this it's on next week:
Mon, Oct 8, 2007 at 10:00 AM  (ET)

http://www.exn.ca/onTv/series.asp?series=43601428&TZ=0

As someone with interest in the navy, I really want to watch this (although I'll have to get someone to tape it for me - I don't have cable right now)

For the first time seeing the HMCS Winnipeg, I thought it was a great documentary. Nothing better then getting some good hype for the Navy and for our Forces, anything that will show us in a positive light I am all for.  If I could get permission I would even show it to my cadets, as I think they would find it interesting as well. Here is to hoping that we will see more of these documentaries for the Navy and all elements.

This may be horribly short notice, but I thought I would post it here in case someone was interested.  This program is back on Discovery in an hour so...

1pm Mountain Time, January 14th, 2008.

I haven't seen it yet, but it does look very interesting as I think it would directly relate to my MARS application  ;D .

Delicron said:
This may be horribly short notice, but I thought I would post it here in case someone was interested.  This program is back on Discovery in an hour so...

1pm Mountain Time, January 14th, 2008.

I haven't seen it yet, but it does look very interesting as I think it would directly relate to my MARS application  ;D .

Thanks Delicron. I was able to catch it during my lunch hour.

Watching it- especially the first 15-20 minutes which included a segment on the ship's NBPs- brought a number of questions to mind:

1.) Do the aircrew members of the Sea King helo detachment also get a chance to participate in NBP duty? Or their MOCs are such that they do not have time/schedule to do so?

2.) Do aircrew members get to wear those ship's crew baseball caps as well? Or they are not considered part of usual Aircom officers or NCMs' work dress for embarked air crews?

I'm just curious; thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer.

Future_Soldier said:
I saw it for the first time today. Kinda makes me wish I could be MARS. :-\

Braveheart/Future Soldier,

Please make up your mind what you want. First you want to be a CF-188 pilot then you want to become a MARS officer. For God's sake, finish school first and perhaps go to college!  ::)

Well, good luck on whatever path you choose. :-\

Having watched the show, it makes me think I made the right choice for my trade...but I'll know for sure during NOAB in March.  :D

Future_??? said:
It's very hard Cougar. This is a tough decision. This is my future were talking.

You must be the first to go through a decision process like this. None of us have ever faced similar decisions.

I find it funny how your always the first to try and get a shot in at me. Keep this on track.

You must be the first to go through a decision process like this. None of us have ever faced similar decisions.

There are others??  I thought it was only me!  :rofl:

.) Do the aircrew members of the Sea King helo detachment also get a chance to participate in NBP duty? Or their MOCs are such that they do not have time/schedule to do so?

2.) Do aircrew members get to wear those ship's crew baseball caps as well? Or they are not considered part of usual Aircom officers or NCMs' work dress for embarked air crews?

1- No.  There is no fat on a Sea King Det- it takes the entire Det to conduct flight ops on a sustained basis.  Also, the Air Det is not Ship's Company and would not be eligible for the Boarding Course.

2. I typically wore whatever was closest to my rack in the morning.  Both ship and Sqn ball caps were authorized when I sailed (as late as 2004)

SeaKingTacco,

Alright. Thanks for your responses.  :)

It was good I asked rather than just assume anyone in the aircrew detachment could be allowed to do NBP duty simply because they were on a ship, but I didn't realize the tempo of your work required the full attention of all aircrew and the helo's support/maintenance personnel.

Back