• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND/VA HELP PLEASE!

The Centre

Site map for the Centre's services

ABOUT THE CENTRE

THE CENTRE is a new and unique initiative in inter-departmental cooperation, designed to bring the joint efforts of both the Department of National Defence (DND) and Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) together in providing information and services to injured and retired military members and their families.

Situated within National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa, THE CENTRE has staff employees from both Departments in serving the needs of a broad client base. THE CENTRE Director is a member of the Canadian Forces who reports directly to Chief of Staff/Assistant Deputy Minister (Human Resources - Military) and has a reporting relationship to the Project Manager of the VAC - CF Project in Charlottetown, P.E.I. The VAC staff at THE CENTRE report on a daily basis to the Director and has a technical relationship to the Project Manager in Charlottetown.

MISSION
The DND-VAC Centre for the Support of Injured Members and their Families will support and serve, with dignity and respect, injured and retired members of the Canadian Forces and their families.

To speak with a representative call:
1 (800) 883-6094 / All calls are Confidential
Mon - Fri 08h00 to 16h00 EST

Voice mail will be active at all other times
We will return your message the next business day.

Use this information, and hold them accountable for the Mission statement they made.

Handing you a cheque and a letter saying thanks for coming out, just does not cut it.

Use this information, and immediatly start your plan of attack receiving the help you deserve.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
What about SISIP, has your military case manager informed you of the details responsible with regards to them looking after your needs?

I have been in touch with SISIP, not recently though, I've got to get a new contact since I've left the Barrie area.  My military Case MisManager was more then useless, she gave me loads of wrong information and I had to tell her what my status was (she didn't even have my release message, I gave her a copy of it).

Otto Fest said:
Just for interest sake, your unit might be....?

It was supposed to be CFSCE Kingston, but I was one of the many PATs holding on PRETC and wasting away there.

Corvin said:
I have been in touch with SISIP, not recently though, I've got to get a new contact since I've left the Barrie area.  My military Case MisManager was more then useless, she gave me loads of wrong information and I had to tell her what my status was (she didn't even have my release message, I gave her a copy of it).

It was supposed to be CFSCE Kingston, but I was one of the many PATs holding on PRETC and wasting away there.

This is totally disgusting, and unacceptable.

You should relay this to the Ombudsman's office soonest, but right now your priority is to sort out your situation.  Tomorrow morning you will do the following, starting at 8am (Yer a civvy now, revel in it!), in this order.

1. Contact the Centre at 1 (800) 883-6094.  Explain your situation that you need a case manager as you have moved (Never mind the last one, and the faults she/had let's concentrate on acquiring some help)

2. Contact SISIP at 1-800-267-6681, have your service number at the ready, and ask to speak with someone who can give you the status of your case.

3.Your third call of the day will be to the Veteran's Review and appeal board 1(800) 450-8006 .  Explain that you want to appeal the decision by VAC.

As for the cheque deposit it, and start using the money.  There will be no quick fixes, so you will need to use the money now.

I advise you have a pen and pad handy, write down everyone's name that you speak to (Tell them to spell it if you have to) and the times you spoke to them (and date of course).

I will be on these means through out the day, and will check on your status, here, tomorrow evening.

dileas

tess

My situation is completely different. However, I found that if VAC needed any information, I faxed the info directly to the head office in PEI. By doing this, my case was settled much quicker (3-6 months) as opposed to those widows that dealt with their case worker at the local office. I wish you luck. Our cases were cut and dry - no investigations needed (husbands KIA) and for some of us, it took over 6 months to get the claim settled.  ::)  I cannot imagine how frustrating this must be for you. Don't be afraid to demand help. They are there, after all, to serve you.   :salute:

I sent you a private message. 

There is a new ombudsman in place if you do not get the information you need.  Definatly get in contact with the Appeal Board, as per previous posts, the number is there.  The Appeal Board can take some time, we are still going through some things about 2 years after our first claim and more than a year after our appeal was submitted. 

It whole process does take a while, and it can be very frustrating but be persistant and things will happen.  Just keep calm and things will work out for the best.

Elisha

TCBF said:
Good work Tess, well done.

Cheers Brother.

We need to stick together and help ech other out, it still blows my mind away that this is lack of support still going on...

dileas

tess

Hi RHFC_piper I was over seas with you I know who you are we were together when we got shot up that morning by that A-10 anyhow my question to you is how long ago did this happen because its been a year for my claim and im still waiting they made me see there doctor vac and they told me they have till the 26 nov to pay me out anyhow I have multiple shrapnel wounds also and I hope they dont come back saying the same thing they did to you cause we did put in for veterans affair pretty close to each other anyhow take care

RCR___ said:
Hi RHFC_piper I was over seas with you I know who you are we were together when we got shot up that morning by that A-10 anyhow my question to you is how long ago did this happen because its been a year for my claim and im still waiting they made me see there doctor vac and they told me they have till the 26 nov to pay me out anyhow I have multiple shrapnel wounds also and I hope they dont come back saying the same thing they did to you cause we did put in for veterans affair pretty close to each other anyhow take care

I was told that, for my physical wounds (Legs, back/kidneys, arm, etc.), I would not receive a "favorable return" until one of two conditions are met;
1) I am released from the forces due to these injuries, in which case they would pay out due to loss of employment, or;
2) I am released from medical care directly associated with the injuries; basically meaning that the army is no longer seeing me at the Health services centre for my injuries... which wont be for a loooong time.

I can understand this, kind of; 
- I'm not out of work... the military is still employing me, so VAC doesn't have to cover loss of pay.
- I'm still covered by the CF's medical system, so VAC doesn't have to cover medical expenses what so ever.
- I'm not in need of medical devices...
- No long term disabilities have been diagnosed yet.
Because of all this, if VAC pushed my claim, they would probably not approve it, or approve it for a very low amount which would cause me to have to redress it about a million and a half times. 

I have been granted 5 5ths of the claim (as you should be too, due to the nature of our injuries), but the amount wont be set until I see their doctor, which I can't do until after I'm released from the care of the CF. 

My only real issue is with my other, non-physical injury claim...  which has been granted, but I've received no information about it beyond a letter which stated that a decision would be made 8 weeks after the original application, which was done about a year ago... I have yet to hear anything back from them.

Keep in mind, all this is from my limited dealings with VAC.  I'm more concerned with the fact that I haven't had a VAC case worker since I've gotten home... well, until now.
My VAC case worker is coming to see me today to discuss these issues.

I really hope your VAC experience goes better than mine (and some of our other platoon mates)...

I'll let you know what I find out today.   

Again,

This goes totally against what they state on their website;

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=forces/nvc/programs/da

Who can benefit from the disability award?

You may qualify for the disability award if you are:

a CF member or Veteran with a:
service-related injury or disease; or
non-service-related injury or disease that was aggravated by service.
a survivor (some conditions apply, please contact VAC for more information).

Important Notes

You do not need to qualify for a disability award to qualify for some of the other benefits under the New Veterans Charter.
The disability award is not linked to the Rehab Program. This means, you can be in the Rehab Program but not qualify for a disability award.
Financial advice
Under the New Veterans Charter, disability awards, detention benefits and death benefits are lump sum amounts. You may wish to seek out the advice of a financial expert to help you manage your lump sum payment. If the payment is $12,500 or more, some, or all, of the fees related to this advice may be paid by our Department, up to a maximum of $500.

Point this out to the Rep when they visit.

I received all of my benefits and payments while serving, although this was before the new Charter, however I was explained that serving members would not be affected by the new Charter.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Point this out to the Rep when they visit.

I plan to have a honest to the point discussion with her about my concerns...  and since my wife is home today, coincidentally, she will also throw in her 2 cents, which I'm sure will be even more honest and to the point.  >:D

I will post details once I have them.. if they're suitable.

the 48th regulator said:
1. Contact the Centre at 1 (800) 883-6094.  Explain your situation that you need a case manager as you have moved (Never mind the last one, and the faults she/had let's concentrate on acquiring some help)

2. Contact SISIP at 1-800-267-6681, have your service number at the ready, and ask to speak with someone who can give you the status of your case.

3.Your third call of the day will be to the Veteran's Review and appeal board 1(800) 450-8006 .  Explain that you want to appeal the decision by VAC. 

You forgot one...  ;D

4.  Keep your situation posted on Milnet.ca, where there are people with good advice who can help you.

Remember, full names.

Write it down, and do  it in front of the rep. so that they see you doing it.

I have been in many a meeting with people from Veteran affairs, that felt their "thoughts and opinions" were actual policy.

I have letters of appology, to prove this, from VAC.

I will post it later this evening, to prove that never feel that you can not speak up, or to these people.

dileas

tess

If it has not been said before, I will say it now.

Thank you Tess for your posts around here. Your knowledge and support is appreciated.

the 48th regulator said:
We need to stick together and help ech other out, it still blows my mind away that this is lack of support still going on... 

Sadly, I am not surprised at all.  I was unimpressed with the system over the last four years, and have yet to see a reason to change my opinion.  In the end, the only people who you can be sure that give a damn about injured soldiers are other injured soldiers.  There are a lot of exceptions scattered across the CF and VAC, but not enough to change the existing problems.     

kratz said:
If it has not been said before, I will say it now.

Thank you Tess for your posts around here. Your knowledge and support is appreciated.

Thank you Krantz.

You see I was Severely wounded by gunfire, many moons ago, when this type of thing just didn't happen to Canadian troops.  Being a reservist on top of that did not help.

I have jumped through every hoop, met every type of Bureaucrat, heard every comment from Positive to the most negative, all by people employed by the crown that wore a uniform and didn't.

I vowed that I would not allow, ever as long as I draw a breath, to have an injured person go through the crapolla that I did.

I hope my lessons learned will alleviate the BS, that still, continues to happen to our injured troops today.

genero ferocia decerto

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Cheers Brother.

dileas

tess

Well tess when did it start ? Getting ready to do a school Remembrance Day talk that has to be "politically correct, does not glorify war, is not controversial, does not reference violence, are a few of the "new" parameters these days I came across this:

"on his return to Toronto he settled down, had a leg removed. Obtained a good job in a Veterans shop, bought a house, produced two children and was a charter member of the now famous War Amputations Association( formerly The War Amputations of the Great War) in the foundation of which he played a leading role.

Back in Canada he and other leg amputees had trouble with their artificial limbs. As always, Treff's ingenuity stood him in good stead. He first devised an improvement of his own artificial leg. He made refinements and minor changes and then made legs for some of his pals. The gadget worked well so he patented his idea and tried to interest the Government in it. They were slow to appreciate it so he sold his rights to a limb manufacturer.

Thereupon the Government reduced his pension. This reduction was was distinctly contrary to a well-known principal established by the Amputation's Association, that an amputee's pension has been earned by the loss of a limb and should not be affected by a man's financial position of future earnings.

Treff did not get a square deal in this matter from the Canadian Government and he felt the matter keenly. He decided to take his wife and two small children back to the Old Country."

Source:

R. F. Zubkowski CD As Long as Faith and Freedom Last (page 282)

Back