• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Be hard to engage targets outside the bubble while maintaining integrity of it as well...unless it has something similar to torpedo tubes on a submarine.

MM

medicineman said:
Be hard to engage targets outside the bubble while maintaining integrity of it as well...unless it has something similar to torpedo tubes on a submarine.

MM

And, of course, it`s not like we could construct the bubble out of anything other than gold or platinum to increase it`s structural integrity and ability to fend off incoming rounds and/or shrapnel.

Forget if we accidentally dropped said bubble soldier from a height or they fell off the back deck of their LAV - some sort of deceleration device or shock absorber would be necessary as well. 

MM

ArmyVern said:
And, of course, it`s not like we could construct the bubble out of anything other than gold or platinum ...

This is the only other solution I can see:

20090414152807!Energy_shield-1-.jpg

Get busy, DLR!

Wow, an entire army allegic to their dog tags...man the RMO is behind the 8 ball there.

MM

Well, since the medics have chimed in, I have a question.

Wouldn't that member also require an "incoming, nonmetallic bullets, spalling, and shrapnel" chit?

medicineman said:
As long as they are somewhere that's standardized, who cares.  For the OP, most of us at one point or other have had to slide the chains through some paracord or plastic tubing...as for the actual tag, ballz was onto something - don't laminate per se, just use map talc and punch out holes for the chain.

MM

No, the only way to correctly protect the skin is the liberal use of asphalt undercoating spray on a 6 square inch part of your chest, and 1 inch up and around the neck.

The added bonus would be the protection of your chest from stone chips.

The downside would be looking very odd indeed at the beach.

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. It is appreciated. 
I know it may seem like a joke to some of you but to some of us it can be painful. I am ok touching metals but having extended exposure to them on my skin, especially when sweating, can cause great discomfort.

Thanks again for the advice

Just a quick note on the Air Force side, assuming you are AF by your name and location  ;D.

If you are aircrew in the future, you must wear them next to skin under your dual layers IAW 1 CAD Flying Orders (can't remember which one off the top of my head) and in the interest of not having para-cord or plastic tubing melt into your skin in the event of fire, you might want to ask your Flight Surgeon or med staff about an alternative solution.  The folks at CFSSAT will tell you that on AMT as well.  They even show you a neat video of an Apache pilot that got brewed up after a fuel spill, and you'll likely not want to have paracord around your neck after you see the results.

But until you are flying/if you are flying, the paracord idea is a great one, I've used it for years now.  The paracord also might help your hair (depending on how long it is) from getting wrapped up around the chain and stuff too.

Thanks for the advice :D

Although I am airforce I am not flight crew, so dont need to worry about that aspect.

(My mother always said I was a expensive child... And now my husband agrees lol)

Just my opinion, but unless you have been ordered to wear them, don't.  I haven't seen mine since I graduated from Cornwallis in 84.  No, that's a lie.  I got a new set when we switch to Service Numbers vice SIN.  Either way they're in a box with the other set somewhere.  :)

Ignoring all the sarcastic replies from people who've obviously never experienced a metals allergy, I too am allergic to my id discs. Specificly, the nickel content in the chain (The id disc itself seems to be nickel free, aluminium if I remember right). Produces a rather nasty eczema rash.

To those making the sarcastic replies, nickel allergies are very real, and not hazardous in any way, just extremely irritating... typically results from direct skin contact with nickel containing metals, for an extended period (If I wear a watch containing nickel, it will produce rash within 20 minutes...). I purchased a titanium watch a while back, which happened to be all titanium with the exception of a few tiny exposed screws... even these produced a nasty rash by the end of the day... all titanium watch now... works great.

To be quite honest, I've solved the problem by just not bothering to wear them. They're around the house somewhere. I had a length of paracord around them with the chain run through the core for the longest time, with the ends of the paracord melted shut, but the ends opened up resulting in a nasty rash on the back of my neck, the ends were then too short to melt back together, and I couldn't be bothered going through the trouble of finding more paracord (hard to get these days). I have no operational need to wear them right now, so I couldn't be bothered.

That being said, if anyone is interested, I looked into the cost of nickel free bead chain... identical in size and appearance to the issued ones, just nickel free.... it's cheap, maybe $1-2 per length, unfortunately, only available in quantities of 100 chains.  Since it's come up, and there's clearly other people beside myself with nickel allergies, if anyone is interested, I'll order the full quantity, and send it out at cost plus the price of a stamp. (With regards to whoever said it was "special metals" they're full of it. It's just regular out steel bead chain, same as what holds on to your bath plug.)

(Side note: http://www.nonickel.com/ is a good source for nickel free belt buckles, etc, I've ordered a few things from them, no more rash on my stomach, hooray!)

Thanks !

GLad to know I am not the only person that has this allergy  :D

I'm hoping I can just throw them in a drawer after basic.. lol.
I wasn't sure about that. I know in my dad's time, he had to have his on at all times. But i'm sure things have changed in 16 years lol.

AirBratt said:
I'm hoping I can just throw them in a drawer after basic.. lol.
I wasn't sure about that. I know in my dad's time, he had to have his on at all times. But i'm sure things have changed in 16 years lol.

It all depends on your unit and your chain of command.  I have had some that don't care and others that on coy parade would order everyone to pull out their dog tags.  So my advise is don't throw them in a drawer keep them in your wallet or someplace handy as you never know when you need them.

Sheesh, whatever happened to keeping them in the back pouch of your respirator carrier with your DT-60 attached?

Kat Stevens said:
Sheesh, whatever happened to keeping them in the back pouch of your respirator carrier with your DT-60 attached?

I still have a set like that! ;D

recceguy said:
I still have a set like that! ;D

Me too. A couple of years ago, our CO asked to see our dog tags just before we departed on a BFT work-up ... I was the only one who had mine ... pulling them out of my gas mask carrier to present to him; "WTF is that black thing?" he asks. LOL.

ArmyVern said:
Me too. A couple of years ago, our CO asked to see our dog tags just before we departed on a BFT work-up ... I was the only one who had mine ... pulling them out of my gas mask carrier to present to him; "WTF is that black thing?" he asks. LOL.

Shouldn't this be in the "you're past your prime  when....." thread?

8)

Back