• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don Cherry Supports the troops! - MERGED THREAD

Don Cherry only talks to hear his own voice.. he's nothing but a wind bag.. and he's learnt from all the other major networks.. you say something that is un-PC, you get more ratings... that's all that it is.. he's a moron that should not be taken seriously..

But then again.. had the comment been directed towards americans and not french quebecers then what? (Oh, and S_Baker... no offense meant) Most probably the Canadian majority would have laughed, while the american public (who even get to see Coaches Corner) would have been outraged....

meh.. just my $0.02

Don Chery is:

Canadian
A lover of the game of hockey
A TV host and personality
A man
Former hockey player and coach

The people who tune to his show are expecting to hear something that is loud, perhaps crude and pro Canadian.  I was not surprised by his comment about the % of  Europeans and French Canadian players wearing visors.  After some research by the local news papers, his claim was found to be true.  There ARE a larger percentage of French Canadians and Europeans in the NHL who DO wear visors.  I will look for the numbers and post them when I find them.  If it turns out I'm wrong and I'm just hallucinating, then I will admit it and not say another word about it.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Love him or hate him, be sure to vote for him for "Greatest Canadian" (just to tick-off the CBC): http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/OtherSports/2004/11/05/701892.html
Cherry victory a bomb for CBC?
By ROB BRODIE -- Ottawa Sun

A few quirky items that grabbed the attention of this viewer in the television week that was:

- So Don Cherry is among the frontrunners in CBC's much-ballyhooed series, The Greatest Canadian? While the fact the bombastic one rates among the 10 finalists -- as determined by a network audience poll -- is open to great debate, it's much more fun to consider what might transpire before this process is done.

More to the point ... what happens if Cherry wins?

How, then, can the tall foreheads at the CBC who'd like to send the Coach's Corner star and his loud suits packing ever get their wish?

Talk about a nightmare waiting to happen.

I can see the headlines now: "CBC axes Greatest Canadian."

Let's see the public relations spin doctors work their way out of that one.

OK so I took a look around the web and found this article on a Detroit site.  I have provided the link.  After all the data was compiled, Don Cherry is RIGHT.  "French Guys" and Europeans do wear a larger % of visors than other players.  Heres the link:

http://gregdooley.com/archive04/0210Visors.html

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

so because he got one fact right, that makes him the Greatest Canadian?  ::)

Just what is so great about him anyways? Ok, so he's
The Army Guy said:
Canadian
A lover of the game of hockey
A TV host and personality
A man
Former hockey player and coach

I'm a Canadian, I love the Game of Hockey, i'm a man... sure i may not be a TV host/personality or a former hockey player, nor a coach, but i just don't get the hype around him

I got an email from a woman thinking www.canadiansoldiers.com might be the place to turn to, but I don't have a clue. Complete text is as follows and is self explanatory. Where can I direct her?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My husband and I would like to buy some caps that don cherry was wearing and promoting on the hockey playoffs

I believe that CBC would be the right people to talk to. I remember Don Cherry saying something about hats available through the CBC.

Hope that helps

Don Cherry said he got his hat from www.cfpsa.com/canex on one of his Coach's Corners.  Try there, they might have something.

EDIT:  https://www.cfpsa.com/en/canex/wyn/generalPublic/shoplist_e.asp?uid=586926&location=&dept=6  Here is the merchandise page.

Hats off to Don Cherry. He plugged the hats hard during Game 6 and 7 of the Finals.

He is the freakin' man, always sticking up for the CF.

:salute:

THe hats that have the yellow ribbon on them? They can be ordered from

https://www.cfpsa.com/en/canex/wyn/generalPublic/shoplist_e.asp?uid=507021&location=&dept=6

probum non poenitet said:
Hats off to Don Cherry. He plugged the hats hard during Game 6 and 7 of the Finals.

He is the freakin' man, always sticking up for the CF.

:salute:

+1 Grapes for Prime Minister

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061107/don_cherry_061107/20061107?hub=TopStories

Bloc Quebecois MPs booed loudly in the House of Commons Tuesday, but their criticism wasn't directed at any new Conservative bill -- they were reacting to hockey analyst Don Cherry.

While several MPs cheered when Speaker Peter Milliken introduced Cherry, a few French Canadian MPs gave him a less-than-welcome reception.

Cherry has sparked anger in the past by suggesting French Canadian hockey players are less tough than others. Two years ago, he said they were the only ones who needed protective visors, along with some European players.

Outside the House of Commons, Cherry denied he was biased against French Canadians.

"Who's anti-French? I know a lot of good French guys I like," Cherry told reporters.

He also said he felt at home in the House "with all that yelling and hollering," because it reminded him of his own television appearances.

After the Bloc MPs booed, some Liberal MPs - including Montreal MP Jean Lapierre - said Milliken should not have recognized Cherry's presence, citing his controversial opinions.

But Prime Minister Stephen Harper, a self-proclaimed amateur hockey historian, welcomed Cherry. The two were later photographed together in Harper's office.

Cherry later said he was a firm supporter of Harper.

"I give a thumbs up to Stephen Harper for sure. He supports the troops and I support the troops," said Cherry.

We have a another supporter of Mr. Harper! Don always does good coaches corners were he supports us.

I love Don Cherry!!!!!!  ;D  Loved him since I was a little kid.

For give me if I am stepping out of line here but isn't this new thread now just 3 totally different subjects, something from 2004 about him perhaps speaking when he shouldn't have, one from June 06 about Don Cherry hats, and now one about some Quebec MPs that can't keep there personal feelings personal when they are in a professional environment....If there is a reason that the powers that be on this site may know about that I don't then excuse me for sticking my foot in my mouth...Just seemed that a new thread got merged into two dead threads...

Yup, all hail the Don Cherry Superthread!!!!

Makes it easier to keep track.....

Good ole Grapes
He had the Gunner's back when the city of Kingston collectively turned their back on the military and refused 2 RCHA freedom of the city. I remember Don (Kingston's his hometown IIRC) taking them to task over that one.
Love or hate him ya gotta admire the way the guy'll stand up for what he believes and not back down.

Petard said:
Love or hate him ya gotta admire the way the guy'll stand up for what he believes and not back down.

He's Anglican.. how can you hate him?!  ;)

Back