• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2011

I am especially upset by this latest leak and I hope that when, not if, the Conservatives form the next government they root out the person who leaked the AG's early DRAFT report and very publicly drum him or her out of the public service, and then fight hard against the inevitable appeals to the PSSRB.

dapaterson said:
Governments routinely manage the news cycle to release bad news on Fridays, good news during slow news weeks... and get copies of OAG reports in advance and negotiate to have them amended, and thus are well aware of the contents in advance of their release.

It's no tinfoil conspiracy theory to point out that having a damning OAG report on the street would be damaging to the Tories, and that having an election without that on the table would be in their best interests.  Joe Clark aside, most political leaders, even with a minority, are able to channel and arrange for battle at times of their choosing; choosing a time before the enemy gets some new artillery is a sound tactic.
But even the Tories are OK with releasing the final version, no?  (Although all that means is that it's FAR less damaging than the earlier draft shared with CP).

If it is the Auditor General's practice to make over the top accusations in initial reports as part of a process to negotiate final reports, it must end.  I fail to see how there was any attempt by the government to falsify anything.  Every point, at the time, was the subject to daily attack in the media.  Nothing new here.

"Over the top"?  Hardly.  If, as alleged in the news,  claiming funds were for the conference when they were expended a hundred KM away on things that were not associated with the event is signficant and misleading to Parliament at the very least.

Not that others have not done similar things in the past; but if things are as asserted it speaks poorly to the probity of some individuals.

(Mr Campbell has also raised the problem of the source of this leak; governments require a degree of confidentiality to do their work; this sort of event corrodes the relationship between government and the public service.  Regardless of the outcome, this will set back relations and make governance more difficult.)

E.R. Campbell said:
My guess is that the ethics, accountability and contempt issues are, finally, starting to take hold, thanks to a very well timed leak, which I suspect came from an anti-Harper civil servant in a federal government line department (not from the Office of the Auditor General). I expect Duceppe, Ignatieff and Layton to go after Harper, endlessly, on those issues – that may backfire if some (many? most?) Canadians feel their economic and health care issues are being ignored for a bunch more “inside the greenbelt” stuff.

Unfortunately it's exactly this kind of issue that continues to prevent the Conservatives from breaking out into solid majority territory.  Trust issues (especially in vote-rich Ontario) existed right from the start as the Reform Party was seen as too socially conservative for many Central and Eastern Canadians.  While they may have been able to overcome that concern by delivering on their other policy track of a more open and cleaner government, the tightly controlled leadership style of Harper and his inner circle have just added another dimension of mistrust to what already existed.  I personally don't think many people see the Harper Conservatives as any different than the rest of a bad bunch of political leaders we're stuck with.

While not suprising in light of the economic downturn and the stimulus actions of every other industrial nation, the fact that the Conservatives in all honesty DON'T have a great economic track record to fall back on leaves them vulnerable to attack there as well. 

Yes, Canada has suffered much less in the downturn than other western countries but to be honest it has much more to do with our natural resourse based economy (and a pretty well regulated banking sector) than with any policies followed by the Conservatives.  The Conservatives promised NEVER to run a deficit and then run record deficits.  They spend huge on dubious summit related expenses.  It all adds up to a big wasted opportunity that the CPC had to make a fresh start.  Sad.  Not a huge suprise I guess...but sad none the less.

GR66 said:
Unfortunately it's exactly this kind of issue that continues to prevent the Conservatives from breaking out into solid majority territory.  Trust issues (especially in vote-rich Ontario) existed right from the start as the Reform Party was seen as too socially conservative for many Central and Eastern Canadians.  While they may have been able to overcome that concern by delivering on their other policy track of a more open and cleaner government, the tightly controlled leadership style of Harper and his inner circle have just added another dimension of mistrust to what already existed.  I personally don't think many people see the Harper Conservatives as any different than the rest of a bad bunch of political leaders we're stuck with.

I'll go one better and suggest that at least a few see them as worse.  Including life long conservatives who are not happy with the idea of supporting the party anymore.  My parents are great examples, but there's many, many more than that.

GR66 said:
While not suprising in light of the economic downturn and the stimulus actions of every other industrial nation, the fact that the Conservatives in all honesty DON'T have a great economic track record to fall back on leaves them vulnerable to attack there as well. 

Yes, Canada has suffered much less in the downturn than other western countries but to be honest it has much more to do with our natural resourse based economy (and a pretty well regulated banking sector) than with any policies followed by the Conservatives.  The Conservatives promised NEVER to run a deficit and then run record deficits.  They spend huge on dubious summit related expenses.  It all adds up to a big wasted opportunity that the CPC had to make a fresh start.  Sad.  Not a huge suprise I guess...but sad none the less.

That's what did it for me.  They made a whole series of boasts in 2008 when the writing was on the wall about how bad things were getting, and our relatively soft hit had little to do with anything they did.  The sound financial regulation that got our banking system through the mess without a penny in public money wasn't their doing (it was in part the Mulroney government, and the Liberals refused to engage in deregulation during their term), and I suspect they would have pushed ahead with deregulation earlier on if they thought the public had the stomach for it.

PuckChaser said:
That's a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory if I've ever heard one.

The gossip in Ottawa is that Harper's wife wants a divorce. She has been living in the Chateau Laurier for months. A divorced Conservative does not have much traction with the base. There is more to the gossip that makes now a good time to finally try for a majority.

Nemo888 said:
The gossip in Ottawa is that Harper's wife wants a divorce. She has been living in the Chateau Laurier for months. A divorced Conservative does not have much traction with the base. There is more to the gossip that makes now a good time to finally try for a majority.

He could take after our very first Conservative Prime Minister, Sir John A. and head out to a quiet Tavern on March Road, well removed from the Capital city and escape scrutiny..........I guess he'd now have to head way out to Almonte.

GR66 said:
The Conservatives promised NEVER to run a deficit and then run record deficits.  They spend huge on dubious summit related expenses.  It all adds up to a big wasted opportunity that the CPC had to make a fresh start.  Sad.  Not a huge suprise I guess...but sad none the less.

Do not forget that when the world's economy started tanking it was the three opposition parties that went around crying the "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" shouting that the government has to start to spend, spend spend. That's what happened and now the same three Chicken Little's are castigating the government for following their wishes.

Retired AF Guy said:
Do not forget that when the world's economy started tanking it was the three opposition parties that went around crying the "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" shouting that the government has to start to spend, spend spend. That's what happened and now the same three Chicken Little's are castigating the government for following their wishes.

Amen, Brother.  Preach it.

Retired AF Guy said:

Strange that eh?

Anyone else watch the debate? You can tell all 3 parties are banding together to try to stop a likely Conservative government. Layton can debate well, but physically just looks so sick. I hope his campaigning doesn't make his health take a turn for the worse. Duceppe is so out of touch I have no idea why he is even allowed at the debate. Ignatieff had such a "I'm smarter than you, I'm right and here's how things are attitude" I wanted to punch the TV.

Nemo888

That is a very old rumor, and you did not include the juiciest part.

On a leadership course you will find that a leader finds out what is circulating amongst the troops, gets the facts, and informs the troops. Rumors destroy moral and are dangerous in war.

By the way, rumor has it Nemo888 spreads unfounded rumors without substantiation or source.

.........and we don't allow rumourmongering at Milnet ;) Nuff said.

Milnet.ca Staff

PuckChaser said:
Anyone else watch the debate? You can tell all 3 parties are banding together to try to stop a likely Conservative government. Layton can debate well, but physically just looks so sick. I hope his campaigning doesn't make his health take a turn for the worse. Duceppe is so out of touch I have no idea why he is even allowed at the debate. Ignatieff had such a "I'm smarter than you, I'm right and here's how things are attitude" I wanted to punch the TV.

I would love for someone to call Jack on his bluffs with something smart like "It's easy to promise everything when you know you aren't going to get elected, I'm waiting for you to promise everybody a free car," but what Iggy said about "Your party has never been elected" just made him look like a sulking baby.

Nemo888 said:

1)  I don't place my vote based on gossip. What an absolute assinine statement to be making on here. WTF does that have to do with how he could/could not lead the party and/or this nation?

2)  That's as bad as saying "well, the Yanks think Ignatieff is a Yank ... so, can't vote him in as PM."

I'd much rather see the facts with regards to the 2nd item ... 30 years of out of country with an alleged statement of "I am an American Democrat" certainly may make me pause to think about where my tick in the box should go.

Tories destined for a majority: Pollster
By ANTONELLA ARTUSO QMI Agency
Article Link

Stephen Harper's Conservatives have gained a massive 21-point lead over Michael Ignatieff's Liberals, according to a new COMPAS Research poll obtained exclusively by QMI Agency.

In Ontario, the Liberals trail their Conservative opponents in every area of the province except Toronto — although Harper leads in the city's suburbs.

The poll, the largest telephone survey of the campaign, also found that Ignatieff is trailing both the Conservatives and the NDP in Quebec, as NDP Leader Jack Layton shows some surprising strength in the province.

Pollster Conrad Winn said Harper is particularly strong in Ontario and all points west.

"The way things are going, he's destined for a majority," Winn said. "The only chance they have is to prevent him from forming a majority, and for that they would need far higher public confidence in the leaders of the opposition than exists."

The COMPAS poll results differ from other recent surveys that found the Conservatives were about nine points ahead of the Liberals, although most appear to place Harper in at least minority government territory.

The Liberals are a distant second place in Alberta and Ontario, but only three points behind in the Atlantic provinces.

Layton's New Democrats are stronger than the Liberals in B.C., Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

And in what Winn calls one of the most interesting revelations, the New Democrats are doing relatively well in Quebec.

The Conservatives are fighting it out for first place in Quebec City and Eastern Quebec; the NDP is a contender in Montreal and the rest of Quebec, the poll says.

"New Democrats have been praying for openings in Quebec for half a century," Winn said. "It's like a man lost in the desert praying for rain. Occasionally, the prayer works."

Bloc support in Quebec tops that of the second place Conservatives by 12 percentage points.

In Ontario, the Conservatives lead the Liberals by 17 points, although they trail in Toronto. The NDP has strength in the northern part of the province.

The Conservatives dominate in Manitoba and Saskatchewan with a 35-40 point lead, the poll found.

The Atlantic provinces give Harper only a small edge because people are concerned about his plans to cut spending, Winn said.

Alberta, always fertile vote-hunting ground for the Conservatives, shows Harper with a 50-point lead.

B.C. voters polled favour the Conservatives by 20 points.

"Falling short of a Kim Campbell-style shellacking, the Liberals nonetheless face the prospect of a historic shutout in French Quebec and being limited to islands of support in Atlantic Canada, English-speaking Montreal, the City of Toronto, parts of southern and eastern Ontario, and parts of Vancouver," a poll analysis says.

The COMPAS poll surveyed 2,300 voters by telephone April 6-11, and is considered accurate within 2.1 percentage points.
end

PuckChaser said:

I had it on, and paid attention when I was in the room. I got a good laugh out of Layton citing Iggy's poor attendance record. It's true, if I skipped that many days of work, I wouldn't get promoted. Heck, I'd've been s*******ed within a couple months, if not, weeks! Definitely knocked him down a peg or 8. Completely agree about Duceppe. I'd almost rather have seen them let May take to the podium in lieu of Duceppe, but I'd also rather be punched in the gut than kicked in the teeth.

Back