• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who see a "pinko prevert"* in every media story ... take a look at this, from the Calgary Sun. There are media outlets, e.g. the Sun chain and, I would suggest, the National Post and the Globe and Mail, which range from "Harper friendly," to, at least, neutral in their coverage of the prime minister and the CPC.

Every major newspaper outlet tries for a range of opinion: that's why e.g. NDP candidate and loony left dingbat Linda McQuaig used to have a job on the National Post when Conrad Black ran the paper: he wanted a resident leftie to offset the general rightward tilt of the paper. If you find Lawrence Martin and Jeffrey Simpson too Liberal then look at the Report on Business section or the frequent guest articles by e.g. Andrew MacDougall (I posted a link one, here, yesterday). The Good Grey Globe also strives for editorial/content balance.

____
* How's that for an old, maybe obscure, pop-cultural reference? 

>The liberal party needs trudeau more than trudeau nerd the liberal party.

I agree his presence helped it to rebuild.  I believe, however, that but for him, they could be in first place in polls as "change".

E.R. Campbell said:
Maybe, when the "team," part of it, anyway, named Rob Burton, the Mayor of Oakville, ON ( @OakvilleMayor ) goes online (on Twitter at 9:18 PM - 28 Aug 2015) and compares the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, who have been hired to provide security at Conservative events, to the NAZI brownshirts ...

524717965w4mdg2yx7.jpg

And the public can put their faith in the current Liberal party that they have veterans and military personnel best interests at heart?

The title of this article, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, It could backfire, but at least Liberals finally have a message to sell, defines the risk M Trudeau and his team are taking and the potential rewards, too:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/it-could-backfire-but-at-least-liberals-finally-have-a-vision-to-sell/article26155211/
gam-masthead.png

It could backfire, but at least Liberals finally have a message to sell

ADAM RADWANSKI
The Globe and Mail

Last updated Saturday, Aug. 29, 2015

It may be the fuel for the campaign machine that Justin Trudeau’s Liberals have spent the past several years constructing. Or it may be the dynamite that blows it up.

When Mr. Trudeau set himself apart from other federal leaders by announcing on Thursday that he would run deficits for the next four years to fund a massive infrastructure program, he for better or worse addressed the big criticism of his election effort even members of his own party have raised: that despite an improved ability to make their case to Canadians, it hasn’t been easy to explain exactly what that case is.

To talk to Liberals working on the ground recently has been to hear virtually unanimous praise for the way Mr. Trudeau and his team have rebuilt the organization of their party. The biggest volunteer base in the Liberals’ modern history has been recruited and trained. Fundraising operations have finally been modernized. Candidate recruitment, notwithstanding the odd controversy, has been strong. The collection and analysis of voter data may now surpass what the pioneering Conservatives have. Communication between party headquarters and local campaigns is better than most Liberals can remember it.

The performance of Mr. Trudeau himself, about which there were enormous questions coming into this campaign, has also generally received good reviews of late. By performing competently in the first leaders’ debate and generating nice-looking television clips at high-energy tour events, he has quieted internal dissent that was brewing as recently as July.

None of that much matters, though, if there isn’t a coherent message the leader and his party are selling. And it took Mr. Trudeau a long time to land on one.

The lead that the Liberals enjoyed in the polls until early this year helped with organization-building, especially attracting candidates. But it also contributed to stasis, as they tried to play it safe during a period they could have used to better define their leader and his agenda.

Risk aversion led to positions, most notably quasi-support for the Conservatives’ anti-terror legislation, the Liberals would come to regret. And as they held off on fleshing out their own policies, it meant their pitch was about the possibility of change more than what that change would entail.

When they were the only party that seemed to have a realistic chance of replacing a Conservative government unpopular with about two-thirds of voters, and the leader’s youthful charm was working in their favour, that made some sense. When Thomas Mulcair’s New Democrats suddenly surged ahead of them in the polls, as Mr. Trudeau’s image as a fresh face was battered by Conservative attack ads, it became less clear what the Liberals were offering.

The unveiling in May of their plan to increase taxes on the rich to fund middle-class tax cuts and benefits began to address that, but it was muddled. The Liberals inexplicably announced that pledge on the day before Alberta’s election, which overshadowed it. They wrongly guessed the Conservatives would take the bait by staunchly defending high-income earners. The television ad with which they initially touted their proposal was too soft-focus. As some of their candidates privately concede, the various proposed changes to tax and benefit programs – unlike, say, the NDP’s $15-per-day child-care promise – proved challenging to concisely explain to voters.

Coming out of this week, though, it would be difficult to accuse the Liberals of not offering an alternative governing vision. Paired with their proposed tax shift (which they have begun to explain more digestibly), their embrace of running deficits to fund transit and housing and “green” infrastructure projects offers a sharp contrast – not just to the Conservatives, but also to an NDP promising consistently balanced budgets.

Mr. Trudeau’s top officials insist the infrastructure commitment was crafted many months ago. But they say the way the NDP is trying to reassure voters, now that it’s the party trying to protect a lead, has led them to “sharpen” their message by contrasting their willingness to run deficits with the NDP’s alleged austerity.

The obvious reference point for what the Liberals are doing is last year’s Ontario election, when Kathleen Wynne’s winning campaign involved expressing more ambition for the role of government than did the NDP. But whereas that Ontario campaign saw the Liberals rallying left-of-centre voters behind them to stop the Progressive Conservatives, Mr. Trudeau’s team sees this contest differently.

They argue that with the Conservatives having had a rough first few weeks of this campaign, their vote is on the verge of collapsing to the extent there is an NDP-Liberal fight for power. Or, if not quite that, a murky three-way race in which voter allegiances to any of the three parties are soft, and Mr. Trudeau is able to emerge as the only leader seen to be levelling with voters about what he believes needs to be done.

Clearly, what they are pitching still involves targeting Liberal-NDP swing voters above others. Mr. Trudeau’s advisers acknowledge that as long as Mr. Mulcair’s party has a significant lead in the polls, its supporters will overlook its alleged shift from its traditional values. The Liberals hope is that if that lead starts to erode, more and more change-seekers will be put off by the NDP’s caution – a strange sort of reverse of what happened earlier this year.

There is a decent chance the Liberals’ strategy will backfire on them. Their seemingly out-of-the-blue embrace of deficits and claims of NDP austerity could make them look desperate. Existing concerns about Mr. Trudeau being the riskiest of the major-party leaders could be reinforced. Suddenly veering to the left on economic issues, after appearing more centrist previously and alienating some left-leaning voters on C-51, may only add to confusion about what sort of prime minister he would be.

But at least the Liberals now have a discernible strategy. All their work on a ground game will serve them well if they’re on the verge of winning a lot of seats on Oct. 19. We’re about to find out if their new message gets them closer to making good use of that machine, or makes it a moot point.

That's it: this policy is either the fuel to move M Trudeau closer to his goal of forming a government, or it's the dynamite that will blow his dreams, and him, away.

I I was a Liberal insider I would be terrified.

I would know that Brian Mulroney, Jean Chrétien and, now, Stephen Harper all worked hard, for most of the past 30 years, to persuade Canadians that balanced budgets, not deficit financing, are the way to go. And I agree, broadly and generally. But, contrary to the Mulroney/Chrétien/Harper mantra, deficits are not, in an of themselves, evil. They simply mean that we are going into debt. We, most of us, do that ourselves: some of our debts, our mortgages, for example, might be (often are) productive in that the asset we borrowed to buy appreciates in value by more than the cost of servicing the debt. Other debts, consumer loans, for example, are less ~ far less ~ productive. Money we borrow to finance a lavish vacation, for example, is worse then unproductive, it is counterproductive. It is similar with public debt. Money borrowed, at low interest rates, to repair and maintain e.g. water-mains and sewers is good, productive debt; money borrowed to build public housing or a new hospital or a library might be socially beneficial but it is, likely, economically unproductive. Money borrowed to pay for social programmes, including child care tax credits, is counterproductive debt.

I'm not sure that's an easy argument to make to most Canadians.

I salute M Trudeau for being bold.  :salute:  I am waiting, patiently, to see if he will advocate for good, productive debt or for counterproductive debt ... my guess is that there are HUGE argument about that going on right now on the campaign busses. I also wonder if M Trudeau, himself, is the right person to sell this.  :dunno:

Bold?  Maybe.  More truthful than I am used to hearing from a politician?  To my ears, yes.  They usually claim, balanced budgets or lower taxes for this program or that and shortly after we buy in an give them a mandate, it's like any plan after first contact.  It all goes pear shaped and we end up with deficits and higher taxes.  At least the kid is showing some candor and being more or less up front with what will happen if he gets the nod.  That, is refreshing and strange to hear coming from a politician's lips.

jollyjacktar said:
At least the kid is showing some candor and being more or less up front with what will happen if he gets the nod.  That, is refreshing and strange to hear coming from a politician's lips.

Yes, but his lips are moving and you know what that means.

This Internet and (I understand) radio ad suggests, to me that M Trudeau's polls are the same as the public ones: Thomas Mulcair is in first place. Note the target: M Mulcair. Stephen Harper is only mentioned once, (at the 15 second point), in conjunction with the child benefit cheques which M Trudeau promises to cancel.

It's a good ad. I actually agree with cancelling the child benefit, but I'm still not sold on either M Trudeau or his policies, to date.

Andrew Coyne, writing in the National Post, is skeptical ~ as am I ~ about just what M Trudeau plans in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from Canada.com:

http://www.canada.com/business/Andrew+Coyne+Spend+that+money+Trudeau+what/11325300/story.html
CanadaCom_OP.png

Spend all that money, Mr. Trudeau? Why and on what?

BY ANDREW COYNE, NATIONAL POST

AUGUST 29, 2015

Let’s get the politics out of the way first. Is Justin Trudeau’s plan to double federal spending on infrastructure and run deficits of $10-billion annually for the next three years, as a Winnipeg Sun headline had it, “POLITICAL SUICIDE”? Not likely.

If deficits were the political hemlock they’re made out to be, Kathleen Wynne, whose political philosophy Trudeau seems to have closely copied, would not be in power. For that matter, neither would Stephen Harper. Both made a policy choice to run large deficits, and both were subsequently re-elected. A taboo is only a taboo until it isn’t.

But that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. No, it won’t “wreck” the economy, as the Conservatives would have you believe — any more than it will “kick start” the economy, to use a verb the Liberals might prefer. Government policies, as a rule, simply don’t have that kind of transformative effect, for good or ill — certainly not in the mild doses the Liberals have in mind, i.e., deficits of one-half of one per cent of gross domestic product.

So it’s not that any great calamity would befall the country if the Liberals were to carry out their plan. The debt would rise, it is true, but not enough to prevent the debt-to-GDP ratio from falling. It’s just that it’s all so pointless and ill-conceived: unnecessary, at best, and likely to involve considerable waste of public funds.

There is a legitimate and long-standing debate over the efficacy of fiscal stimulus as a means of pulling economies out of recession. A skeptic would point to the signal absence of real-world examples of the success of this approach, versus the long string of failures where it has been tried — the U.S .in the 1960s, the U.K. in the 1970s, France in the 1980s, Japan in the 1990s, and so on.

But never mind. On paper, at least, it is still possible to describe a set of conditions in which fiscal stimulus might be of some use. But even its strongest advocates would concede that one of these should be that you are, in fact, in a recession.

As opposed, say, to now. We shall see next week whether the first two quarters of the year met the famous “technical” definition of a recession. Suppose it did: we are talking about conditions that applied anywhere from three to nine month ago. Even if we were in recession then, there is nothing to suggest that we are now.

The circumstances that created that early-year downturn — a sudden 50 per cent drop in the price of oil — have had whatever negative impact, largely confined to the energy sector, they were going to have. From here on in we are more likely to see the positive impact of cheaper oil, and the cheaper dollar that went with it, in terms of the competitiveness of central Canadian manufacturing.

There may be a case for fiscal stimulus in a recession, recognizing that it might well be over, as was our experience in 2009, by the time the stimulus is applied. There is none whatever for pulling a lever marked “deficit” any time the economy is growing a little slower than we might like.

Yes, yes, yes, some defenders of the plan sigh impatiently. But it’s not really about short-run stimulus. It’s about increasing the long-run productive capacity of the country. Interest rates are at historic lows. At such a time, it only makes sense to borrow to invest in infrastructure, of a kind that will pay returns — in higher productivity, and consequently higher government revenues — far into the future.

The use of terms such as “investment” and “infrastructure” are intended to distinguish this from traditional tax-and-spend liberalism. This isn’t borrowing to buy the groceries; it’s borrowing to fix the roof. If only it were that simple.

For starters, the Liberals are rather loose about their definition of infrastructure. The word came into use as a more impressive-sounding name for what used to be called public works: roads, bridges, transit, hard assets with an obvious connection to output and efficiency. But look in the Liberal plan, and you find much of it is to be spent on “social infrastructure” — for example, day-care centres — and “green infrastructure,” like water treatment centres.

Even roads and bridges are not self-evidently worth investing public funds in, just because you call them infrastructure. The economic answer to “How much should we spend on infrastructure”? is not “more” or “twice what the Tories spent.” It’s “as long as the social return still exceeds its social cost.”

We know the cost well enough. But how do we measure the social return? All kinds of things with all kinds of backers are forever clamouring for governments to spend money on them. Why this project and not that? As it happens, when it comes to roads and bridges, we have a very good measure of the value people put on them: the amount they are willing to pay to use them. By their nature, they are the sorts of things you can charge people to use — and if you can, you probably should, to limit over-consumption, reduce congestion and so on.

But if you can charge for them, they aren’t really public goods: the sorts of things that can only be paid for by taxes. Private investors should be willing to finance and build them, in return for the revenue stream they would yield. And if governments needn’t fund them, they probably shouldn’t: taxes, being finite, should be reserved for those things that cannot be paid for in other ways.

Probably there are some things that only government can pay for that are not at present being adequately funded. But it would be nice to see those identified and listed in order of priority, with a sum attached below, rather than, as one suspects in this case, picking a number first, then finding the projects to justify it after.

National Post

© Copyright (c) National Post

Yes, indeed, some details, please, M Trudeau (and Mr Butts). Are there going to be some useful, productive projects or just pork-barrelling in Liberal ridings to counter the effects of Conservative pork-barrelling in Tory ridings?

Here is a poll, from EKOS, that might matter before Labour Day:

11951336_1215855675107440_6920143399517054912_n.jpg

I'm reading "Ethics and Accountability" as Duffy et al. I'm not exactly sure what the distinction is between Fiscal and Economic: maybe Fiscal means Taxes, Taxes and Spending, Deficits?

E.R. Campbell said:
Maybe, when the "team," part of it, anyway, named Rob Burton, the Mayor of Oakville, ON ( @OakvilleMayor ) goes online (on Twitter at 9:18 PM - 28 Aug 2015) and compares the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, who have been hired to provide security at Conservative events, to the NAZI brownshirts ...

524717965w4mdg2yx7.jpg
Some updates:
1)  Said Tweet seems to have disappeared - funny that.
2)  He's apologized:
I apologize to all vets for my remarks. I regret any impact on their feelings or pride. I celebrate the way they went to fight for freedom.
3)  His Worship is now getting a lot of #ResignMayorBurton action in the Twittersphere.
Way to kick an "own goal" for Team Anti-Conservative, buddy.

Sadly, his Worship's "reveal" of how he really thinks isn't going to surprise anyone who pays attention to how "Progressives" think and operate. Indeed, for a lot of people, his remarks will not be seen as a bad thing at all, and they will be angry at his being "forced" to make a retraction and apology.

If you really want to use elections to "change" Canada, there is one to start working on now...

The next municipal election will be held Monday, October 22, 2018. Elections for municipal government are held every four years on the fourth Monday of October

E.R. Campbell said:
Ian Capstick, a very smart, very funny, very hard working, very professional NDP staffer]has a little fun with campaign gaffes in a really funny video.

That was, indeed, very funny!  I have always respected his commentary - and as smart a his Dad is, he is even smarter.

milnews.ca said:
Some updates:
1)  Said Tweet seems to have disappeared - funny that.
2)  He's apologized:3)  His Worship is now getting a lot of #ResignMayorBurton action in the Twittersphere.
Way to kick an "own goal" for Team Anti-Conservative, buddy.

I'm actually surprised at how much media attention it got. It was a silly comment by a silly man ... hardly earth shattering either in its scope or in the depths of its stupidity.

To appease a large segment of new arrivals to Canada, Justin Trudeau proposes scrapping the new Citizenship laws.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Trudeau campaigns in Toronto; vows to scrap Tory citizenship law
News 1130
NATIONAL
by THE CANADIAN PRESS
Posted Aug 29, 2015 11:45 am PDT

OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) – Leader Justin Trudeau says a Liberal government would repeal the Conservative government’s two-tier citizenship law, and ensure a strong and united Canada where all citizens are treated equally.

Trudeau told Canada’s largest Islamic conference on Saturday that “Liberals believe in a Canada that is united _ strong not in spite of its differences, but precisely because of them.”

Trudeau told the gathering in Mississauga, Ont. that under Stephen Harper, Canadians are being encouraged to be fearful of one another, and there has been a decline in family reunification, refugees, and citizenship applicants.

He believes Harper and NDP Leader Tom Mulcair are playing the politics of division and fear, while his party will ensure a more equal society.

Harper spoke to the group Friday, mentioning the issue of homegrown terrorism and praising Muslim leaders for their efforts to curb youth radicalization. Harper had no public campaign events planned this weekend and NDP Leader Tom Mulcair is off the campaign trail until Sunday.

LINK

For those of you who may be wondering what he wants to undo, here is the link to what changes were made to the Law, on 12 June 2015:

http://citizenshipcounts.ca/citizenship-act-changes

I wonder if it is cumulative.....Justin Trudeau just keeps giving reasons not to vote for his party.....

Stephen Lautens ‏@stephenlautens  · 60m60 minutes ago 
.@chernjones @jenditchburn Have a look at his security motorcade in last week's visit to ISIS hotbed Fredericton https://youtu.be/_KEVe6q0gZI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back