• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Exempt Drill and Training Form - Merged

lagacer

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I joined the res last week and I'm suppose to do my BMQ/SQ this summer my question is if I get a internshipe that start in september am I allow to continue when I get back .. the internship is in brezil and i don't want to miss the chance and its 6 month so I woudln't miss the next summer BIQ .. I want tho know if I'am allow to continue next summer or if I have to quit then rejoine in march

tanks

Your recruiter is the best person to talk to about this.

That being said, yes, it's possible to get a six month LOA, but your unit may not send you on BIQ the summer immediately following if you haven't been parading/training all winter.

I'd like to get some information on EDNT. I searched through the QR&Os, CFAOs and DAODs and couldn't find anything to help me (as well as searching these forums).

What's the policy on it? What is it? What does it stand for? How are you placed on it, how long can you be on it, what are the stipulations?

Thanks.

BKells said:
I'd like to get some information on EDNT. I searched through the QR&Os, CFAOs and DAODs and couldn't find anything to help me (as well as searching these forums).

What's the policy on it? What is it? What does it stand for? How are you placed on it, how long can you be on it, what are the stipulations?

Thanks.

It's actually ED and T - Exempt Drill and Training.  It's the Reserve equivalent of taking a leave of absence from a civvy job.  Anyone can ask for ED&T.  If you cannot parade for 30 days or more, apply in writing through your chain of command.  This will prevent you from being posted NES (Non Effective Strength).  You can be exempted for up to a year.

BKells said:
Any link to official policy?

Start here: (from http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/2004_admhrmil_e.asp?section=4&cat=4)

3.8 Exempt Duty and Training (ED&T)

Administrative procedures are detailed at ref B;
A mbr of the P Res, CIC or att mbr from the Supp Res may apply for ED&T. In any 365 days period it may be granted as follows:

up to 90 days, by the Commanding Officer (CO);
from 91 to 180 days, by the immediate higher HQ to the unit (Brigade or equivalent);
from 181 to 365 days, by the Area HQ or equivalent; and
for periods in excess of 365 days, by a Commander of a Command or their designate for that purpose.

For all other Res F sub-components or Group Principals and Primary Reserve lists, the approving authority is the officer with powers and jurisdiction of an officer commanding a command for the specific Res F sub-component or Group Principal, or their designate for that purpose. Only exceptional circumstances will be approved.

All requests shall be in writing through the chain of command prior to the ED&T start date. Except in exceptional circumstances, such as emergencies that cause the mbr to be absent for more than 30 days, requests shall not be approved/granted retroactively;

ED&T shall not be used to avoid the administrative requirements of dealing with a mbr who is non-effective; and

Except for maternity/parental (MATA/PATA) leave purposes, ED&T does not count toward qualifying svc for promotion, incentive pay, Canadian Forces’ Decoration or clasp, or the Reserve Force Retirement Gratuity (RFRG).

Im going to be leaving the country for a couple years and a warrant on my recent course mentioned something about a secondary reserves, (I think thats what he called it), where you can retain all your qualifications for 2 or 3 years or something, but not parade or anything. Can anyone tell me what this is called, and some more information?

Thanks.

You can go EDAT(excused drill and training)Go and speak to someone at your OR or armoury support centre they will have all the info you need.

Its called the supplementary ready reserve (which is something completely different from ED&T), but again you would need to speak to your clerks and CofC.

You may not find support for Exempt Drill and Training because that holds a position in the unit.  It also takes a high level of authority for approval.

APPENDIX 1 TO ANNEX A
NDHQ INSTRUCTION ADM(PER) 2/93
ADMINISTRATION OF CLASS A RESERVE SERVICE FOR MEMBERS OF THE PRIMARY RESERVE, CANADIAN RANGERS AND ATTACHED MEMBERS OF THE SUPPLEMENTARY RESERVE
http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/0293_AppxA1_e.asp

EXEMPT DRILL AND TRAINING

23. All members of the Primary Reserve may be granted exemption from Cl A Res Svc as follows:

1. up to 180 days in any 365 day period, by the CO; and
  2. in excess of 180 days, as directed by the Commander of a Command.

24. When an exemption is granted to a member of the Primary Reserve, the appropriate entry will be made to the Reserve Data System. However, since members of the NDHQ/PRL and their attached members from the Supp Res are not administered through the RDS these entries are instead to be submitted in accordance with A-PM-245-001/FP-Z01.

You may want to consider a transfer to the Supplementary Reserve

Supplementary Reserve
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5002/4_e.asp

Overview

Purpose

The Supp Res is a sub-component of the Reserve Force. The purpose of the Supp Res is to augment the Regular Force and other sub-components of the Reserve Force with individual Supp Res members:

* as required during normal peacetime situations, with their consent; and

* during an emergency or mobilization if placed on active service, without their consent.

Liability to Perform Duty and Training

QR&O 2.034(b) provides that a Supp Res member is not required to perform military or any other form of duty or training except when on active service. The Governor in Council under subsection 31(1) of the National Defence Act may place Supp Res members on active service in specific circumstances.

A Supp Res member may serve, with the member’s consent, with the Regular Force or other sub-component of the Reserve Force.

Can I apply for a CT from Res to Reg while on ED&T?

Also, Can I apply for an educational reimbursement (ILP) while on ED&T?
If I am allowed to apply for the educational reimbursement while on ED&T, can I receive the money while on ED&T?

Thanks

tannerthehammer said:
Can I apply for a CT from Res to Reg while on EDNT?

Also, Can I apply for an educational reimbursement (ILP) while on EDNT?
If I am allowed to apply for the educational reimbursement while on EDNT, can I receive the money while on EDNT?

Thanks

Took me a minute - but I think you are referring to Excused Drill and Training (ED&T)?

I don't know the answer to your questions, just wanted to clear up any confusion.

Sure, there's no reason why you can't apply for a CT during ED&T. The one has nothing to do with the other.
The other is um a little questionable, but I don't see why not, if you've put in good service prior to your ED&T. You can receive your money when ever your money comes through. My buddy got his after he released :) still GTG.

Hope that helps man.

From CBI 210.801 (Education Reimbursement - Primary Reserve):
a member is entitled to the reimbursement of 50% of education expenses, ... if ... the member was not at any time during the academic year in which the required courses were completed ... on leave without pay and allowances under article 16.25 ( Leave Without Pay and Allowances ) of the QR&O, other than maternity or parental leave

(the ... represent stuff I deleted cause it wasn't relevant)

I believe ED&T is a type of LWOP.  My interpretation - if at any time during your period of studies that you are requesting a reimbursement you go on ED&T, sorry, no reimbursement.  You can apply, sure, but you need to be effective (parading) during the course of study.

...about the CT issue, I seem to recall that one of the soldiers in my former reserve unit had to come of ED&T to do a CT, but I'm not sure.  If that's the case, you may be able to break up your ED&T - ie come off ED&T to start the CT, go back on while the CFRC is processing, then come off ED&T to clear and complete the CT.

Good luck.

I did my entire CT to the regs while on ED&T. However I was strictly told that if I want tuition reimbursement I must be effective strength for the reimbursement period. So if, lets say, you were effective strength in 2006 and wanted to apply for reimbursement for that year now, while on ED&T, there should be no problem. If you were on ED&T in 2007 and want to apply for reimbursement for that year.....no dice. That is my understanding of the matter.

old man neri said:
I did my entire CT to the regs while on ED&T. However I was strictly told that if I want tuition reimbursement I must be effective strength for the reimbursement period. So if, lets say, you were effective strength in 2006 and wanted to apply for reimbursement for that year now, while on ED&T, there should be no problem. If you were on ED&T in 2007 and want to apply for reimbursement for that year.....no dice. That is my understanding of the matter.

Awesome that suits my situation perfectly...I was effective strength this year but may be applying for ED&T to finish off my last year of university

hey guys, just a question regarding taking a leave of absence. I am reserves now and need to take a leave of absence for about 6 months for personal reasons. Am I required to provide a reason to my unit for the leave? or can I just put in a request without providing a reason.

thanks

Well, as a supervisor I can say that I wouldn't forward a request for ED&T without a reason, because the first question my boss would as me is "what does she need it for?"

So, a little justification would go a long way.

In turn as what PMT said, I wouldn't approve and recommend/fwd said request without a reason. Now, if you're uncomfortable with writing it down on paper, you can talk to your CoC directly. Sometimes it's allot easier to do it in person, vice a piece of paper. Not saying that a written document is not needed, just that I personally would have questions to ask. Instead of sending the request up and down the chain a few times before I got my answer, I'd rather just get it off the first time.

Hope it helps.

Back