• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Exempt Drill and Training Form - Merged

tannerthehammer said:
I'm not allowed to do anything even remotely military while on the ED & T and that includes showing up in uniform and being given the slip on...

You could be promoted in the mess.  However, it would probably be encumbent upon you to buy a round to celebrate your newfound wealth.  ;D

Trying to find some more information on how long/how difficult it is for a reserve force member to be granted time off for personal travel or temporary out of country work experiences. I am ready to submit my application though am having some trouble getting answers to a few questions, this one being the most pertinent.

I would like to be apart of the reserve force and would be able to meet the requirements of a reservist during regular life at this point. However one of my biggest passions and interests is travel (part of the reason the naval reserve appeals to me) and I aim to do a bit of it within the next 1-Forever (though probably unfeasible, I do admit) years. How would I avoid going NES and being asked to leave while still adventuring for a month or two every year? I would be able to work my travel times around exercises and courses so my time away from parading would be as minimal as possible. I have looked into this and found mixed responses on the matter, some saying its not generally a problem as long as your CoC is aware and has approved of your extended time away from the unit and others saying after a month or two you go NES regardless?

Also, I have some temporary work/educational/travel opportunities overseas (the key word here being temporary) that may last up to 6 months. Is there any way that the military would allow someone to go away for work/education? Would I have to transfer to the supplementary reserve until my travel is over and then re-enroll? Not looking to become a huge administrative burden here, just wanting some solid advice on how things may be done and what is/is not feasible in the military's eyes.

Please note that extended travel (like 6 months) would probably only happen once within 3 years (or longer) so I wouldn't be missing half the training year every year.

Welcome to Army.ca, Fancy Boots

From the "READ FIRST" http://army.ca/forums/threads/115341.0.html stickied thread on this Forum, which I am sure that you read first: "This section is for persons who have questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces, occupations, different enrolment programs, and prerequisites. Much of the information can be found at Forces.ca, or the Recruiting FAQ and wiki section of this site. Before you ask a question, you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers."

There is information regarding this - and a ton of other things - elsewhere on the Site. The process is "Excused Drill and Training", or "ED&T".

Please explore the Site and read through some of the older threads. In doing so, you will likely find answers to other questions before you even think of them.

I will move this thread to an open forum later. Others can then be of more assistance, if you truly cannot find an answer.

Being a member of the Primary Reserves does involve a reasonable amount of commitment on your part to be an effective member of your chosen Reserve Force Unit.  The most important and time consuming portion of this, is the completion of both your BMQ, initial environmental training and initial occupation training which will take place during your first few years of service.  After that, it's only what you make of it. 

In instances where you are not able to parade on a regular basis and to prevent your Reserve Unit from declaring you NES (Non-Effective Strength) but where you wish to remain as a contributing and active member in the future, you can request "Exemption from Duty and Training" and return as an active member at a later date.

Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding it here for future reference.

I believe the correct term is now: Exempt Duty and Training (ED&T)

Reserve Service and Travel/Extended Leave 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/122495/post-1425192/topicseen.html#new

See also,

ED&T
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ED%26T&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=AaTxVpePN4aN8Qezo61I&gws_rd=ssl

I've seen different words for the two first letters of the abbreviation over many years.

Hennyway, I've merged the two threads.

Back