• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ExPres test and being over age 40

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Before someone amends the title of this thread for spelling ExPres stands for Exercise Prescription.
I did my test today and had to fill out an extra form for being over age 40.  There were three questions: 1.  How often did you work out (and bring your heart rate to whatever level); 2.  When you worked out did you feel you gave a lot of effort, moderate or little and; 3.  What kind of fitness level did you feel you were at (great, good, average, etc).  Then you scored it depending on your answers and you needed at least a 6 to get tested.  No worries, I got 10 but I said to the staff that a 20 year old could fill that out and score below 6.  I found it rather discriminatory but I suppose it was a CYA for the PSP staff.  Anybody else hear of this or is it just a local form?

PMedMoe said:
Before someone amends the title of this thread for spelling ExPres stands for Exercise Prescription.
I did my test today and had to fill out an extra form for being over age 40.  There were three questions: 1.  How often did you work out (and bring your heart rate to whatever level); 2.  When you worked out did you feel you gave a lot of effort, moderate or little and; 3.  What kind of fitness level did you feel you were at (great, good, average, etc).  Then you scored it depending on your answers and you needed at least a 6 to get tested.  No worries, I got 10 but I said to the staff that a 20 year old could fill that out and score below 6.  I found it rather discriminatory but I suppose it was a CYA for the PSP staff.  Anybody else hear of this or is it just a local form?

It's a healthy lifestyle survey.  The difference is that most 20 year olds haven't abused/misued thier bodies as long as most 40-somethings have.

It's not a local form. If you score too low, the Blackshirts send you to an MO for an assessment of whether or not it is safe (based on your lifestyle) to attempt the EXPRES test.

Haggis said:
It's a healthy lifestyle survey.  The difference is that most 20 year olds haven't abused/misued thier bodies as long as most 40-somethings have.

It's not a local form. If you score too low, the Blackshirts send you to an MO for an assessment of whether or not it is safe (based on your lifestyle) to attempt the EXPRES test.

Alright I can see the use in it in a politically correct/risk adverse sort of way, but at the age of 41 there are still plenty of 20 somethings in the CF in way worse shape than I am, and that's after quitting smoking and gaining 20 lbs in the process.

Sad fact of human physiology. A 20 year-old is statistically far less likely to die on you during a max effort testing than a 40 year-old.  Take it up with the actuarial people. CYA is just the smart thing to do - they don't know the twenty-somethings are in worse shape than you till after the test right?

I'm looking at doing the questionnaire myself soon, thanks for the Coles notes.  8)

Just to clarify a few things.  First, if a PSP staff told you the score you needed, they shouldn't have.  It is meant as a screening device.  If you knew what you needed, obviously you would answer to get that score, even if you weren't telling the truth.  It isn't perfect, but it screens out people who haven't been active from doing a MAXIMAL TEST.  (liability as well)  To add to this, you are not sent to the MO for not scoring high enough.  You would do the step test.  (not as easy to pass as you might think...based on age, HR, and weight)  Also, there is a different "score" you need when you are over 50 as well.  I hope that helps.

pspforester said:
To add to this, you are not sent to the MO for not scoring high enough.  You would do the step test.  (not as easy to pass as you might think...based on age, HR, and weight)  Also, there is a different "score" you need when you are over 50 as well.  I hope that helps.

A Captain I used to work with was testing at the same time as I.  He scored darn near zero on the lifestyle survey (the Blackshirt wouldn't accept "receiving a BJ" as "cardiovascular activity") and was disptached to an MO for an asessment prior to being allowed to attempt any form of EXPRES testing.

Back