• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fatal Car Accident at CFB Esquimalt last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

yak

Inactive
Reaction score
Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

ONE PERSON DEAD AFTER CAR CRASHES INTO WATER OFF ESQUIMALT NAVAL BASE
Aug 14, 2008

THERE'S BEEN A FATAL ACCIDENT OVERNIGHT ON THE ESQUIMALT NAVAL BASE.

POLICE SAY A CAR LEFT THE ROAD AND CRASHED INTO THE WATER OFF NADEN STREET SHORTLY AFTER 1:00AM THIS MORNING.

THE INCIDENT OCCURRED ON CANADIAN FORCES PROPERTY, BUT VICPD SAYS IT HAS MEMBERS ON THE SCENE ASSISTING MILITARY POLICE.

ONE SURVIVOR WAS TAKEN TO HOSPITAL. THEIR CONDITION IS NOT KNOWN.

THE NADEN GATE AT CFB ESQUIMALT WAS CLOSED OFF AS INVESTIGATORS COLLECTED EVIDENCE.

- ADAM STIRLING

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=6049

No names in the press yet, I'd say that it will take some time depending on where the NOK are located.

The gate has re-opened according to CFAX radio reporting.  I haven't seen this story in any other outlet save the local news radio.

yak said:
Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

ONE PERSON DEAD AFTER CAR CRASHES INTO WATER OFF ESQUIMALT NAVAL BASE
Aug 14, 2008

THERE'S BEEN A FATAL ACCIDENT OVERNIGHT ON THE ESQUIMALT NAVAL BASE.

POLICE SAY A CAR LEFT THE ROAD AND CRASHED INTO THE WATER OFF NADEN STREET SHORTLY AFTER 1:00AM THIS MORNING.

THE INCIDENT OCCURRED ON CANADIAN FORCES PROPERTY, BUT VICPD SAYS IT HAS MEMBERS ON THE SCENE ASSISTING MILITARY POLICE.

ONE SURVIVOR WAS TAKEN TO HOSPITAL. THEIR CONDITION IS NOT KNOWN.

THE NADEN GATE AT CFB ESQUIMALT WAS CLOSED OFF AS INVESTIGATORS COLLECTED EVIDENCE.

- ADAM STIRLING

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=6049

All this seems to demonstrate the relatively light security at CFBes. You'd expct a multigate system with the ability to stop cars (caltrops or spikes) or some type of deployable barrier that needs to be opened, but then again why pay if you have nothing there that one car could damage other than the gate.. but what if it was loaded with explosives, or a chemical weapon?  I geuss Canadian military bases are only medium security by the sounds of this - although CFB northbay appears as light security -although this could just be an obvious misconception.

Although I'm geussing calling ahead and notifing the bases of class trips etc.. lets the security there know who to expect to enter the base - a little different than people just showing up.

Unfortunate that someone died, and the person crashed into the ocean - although if the guy was killed and the car dumped in the ocean as a cover up.. I geuss only a few people would ever know. It'd be nice to know why it happened, and who the person was. Like why crash into a military base - unless it is to demonstrate that it can be done.

I would dare say one person with a semi could take out a unit or two of people before being stopped, it appears very light security minus all the military personnel walking around - but they don't appear armed, is not having armed gaurds posted to gates really a good call by the CF.. or perhaps this is just a security arangement I'm not aware of, like having system that other people don't know about for perimiter defence.

It is freaky being on a base though after you pass the warning sign - it is like at any time you can now be stripped searched for ammusment.

Naden Street is not anywhere near the water..........

http://maps.google.ca/maps?um=1&hl=en&q=naden%20street%20victoria&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

armyca08 said:
All this seems to demonstrate the relatively light security at CFBes. You'd expct a multigate system with the ability to stop cars (caltrops or spikes) or some type of deployable barrier that needs to be opened, but then again why pay if you have nothing there that one car could damage other than the gate.. but what if it was loaded with explosives, or a chemical weapon?  I geuss Canadian military bases are only medium security by the sounds of this - although CFB northbay appears as light security -although this could just be an obvious misconception.

Although I'm geussing calling ahead and notifing the bases of class trips etc.. lets the security there know who to expect to enter the base - a little different than people just showing up.

Unfortunate that someone died, and the person crashed into the ocean - although if the guy was killed and the car dumped in the ocean as a cover up.. I geuss only a few people would ever know. It'd be nice to know why it happened, and who the person was. Like why crash into a military base - unless it is to demonstrate that it can be done.

I would dare say one person with a semi could take out a unit or two of people before being stopped, it appears very light security minus all the military personnel walking around - but they don't appear armed, is not having armed gaurds posted to gates really a good call by the CF.. or perhaps this is just a security arangement I'm not aware of, like having system that other people don't know about for perimiter defence.

It is freaky being on a base though after you pass the warning sign - it is like at any time you can now be stripped searched for ammusment.

WTF ???

Ummmm how did this get from a car accident to a possible homicide? Don't speculate unless you know the facts. This is not a conspiracy so stop looking for one.

Milnet.ca Staff

::) do you think thats why we have security measures in force? So we can strip search for our amusement?? Its for the protection of personnel and property.Please give your head a shake.

Bob Terwilliger said:
Naden Street is not anywhere near the water..........

Naden Way leads right to the water.  Although I did think there was a cement barrier placed there, it is a good drop down and the water isn't deep there, its all rock.

All this seems to demonstrate the relatively light security at CFBes. You'd expct a multigate system with the ability to stop cars (caltrops or spikes) or some type of deployable barrier that needs to be opened

Esquimalt Dockyard has a similar system in place.

Ex-Dragoon said:
::) do you think thats why we have security measures in force? So we can strip search for our amusement?? Its for the protection of personnel and property.Please give your head a shake.

True, I don't know why i see it that way, it isn't worry about people trained to use lethal force and national security and martial law and stuff for reasons of protection of the property there - but oddly it is fear of being stripped searched at random that pops into my head - I've only been on two bases before one during peacetime and one during wartime - oddly during peacetime there was a posting, duringwartime it was walk up. Maybe it was just the type of base CFB Gagetown vs CFB Northbay - gagetown seemed much more active personnel oriented while Northbay seemed institutional - like residential and administrative.

Right but you'd expect there to be more overt signs of perimiter defence. Like it is something that seriously is lacking, and gate entry I would say is perhaps an ongoing issue for sensitive national security establishments in Canada - although I do doubt for a certain extent that covert systems do not exist - as with my experience at iverhuron - although I'm not going to go into details - I tend to see Canadian bases as relatively laid back in the current age - although I visted gage at the end of the cold war in the late 80's. Once again though who knows.

---

As for the homicide - the idea is left at crazy, but you gotta wonder, plus if the CF ain't against shooting at cars at checkpoints in A'stan then what would be any different at home --- hell CF has killed kids and women people riding bikes and point runners - if it is was stan and just some guy it'd be understood as necisary response. Is the protocol different in Canada - let the people break into the secure area and do whatever they'd like using their vehicle-- call the MP and wait for them to set up road blocks on the base and create a controled safe crash environment?

Or did the guy break onto the base then decide to go swimming cause he was bored with the parade grounds?

It will likely be left at crazy due to national security war measures. but likely a crazy right - but behind a crazy there could be a story - one that isn't so crazy.

Likely a crazy though.

Perhaps it's a medical thing like a heart attack or stroke causing the accident to happen.

I fail to see why speculating anything in this is worthy considering the outcome of the accident.

Let the investigators do thier jobs before calling in Moulder and Scully.

::)

You really right out in left field aren't you? I will put this in the gentlest terms possible so you don't feel MiBs are after you in black helicopters. Stop while your ahead before you say something truly stupid.

Snafu-Bar said:
  Perhaps it's a medical thing like a heart attack or stroke causing the accident to happen.

I fail to see why speculating anything in this is worthy considering the outcome of the accident.

Let the investigators do thier jobs before calling in Moulder and Scully.

::)

Yah it could be - let's wait and find out after the coroners report is released. I have the feeling suddent impact due to a motor vehicle crash at high speed may be the cause of death.. I can only geuss bullet holes arn't there  and paint of other vehicles on the side of the thing would be clear sign of ramming - unless it was only bumper contact or a non painted vehicle

PS the blachelicopters fleets were proven to exist and were part of a variety of US training missions potentially tied in with COOG operations.

armyca08 said:
Yah it could be - let's wait and find out after the coroners report is released. I have the feeling suddent impact due to a motor vehicle crash at high speed may be the cause of death.. I can only geuss bullet holes arn't there  and paint of other vehicles on the side of the thing would be clear sign of ramming - unless it was only bumper contact or a non painted vehicle

Holy smokes.  Please...stop.  Just stop.

If you are bored, take a piece of paper.  On both sides, write "how do you keep someone busy?  flip over for the answer".

Enjoy.

I was there today - looks like they drove through the concrete barrier along the water front at the cross of the T-Junction.  They needed to get a crane in - the wrecker there couldn't get it out, so it must have gone a fair ways out and down.  It weren't in good shape from what I saw as it was driven away - go figure.

MM

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Esquimalt Dockyard has a similar system in place.
The security posture between the Naden side of CFB Esquimalt and HMC Dockyard is quite different.  DY has an armed guard at the gate and there is an electrically operated steel barrier that will stop a very large truck.  There an armed Port Security Section on the waterside around the clock.
There is much to much uninformed speculation in the chat surrounding this event.  Watch and wait.

Hang onto your tin foil hats.

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=6052

Should be interesting to see what comes of it in the next couple days.

Also, I believe the practice of placing the armed Port Security personnel at the gates has ceased - don't know when that happened.  When I got back from my last trip they weren't there anymore.

yak said:
Also, I believe the practice of placing the armed Port Security personnel at the gates has ceased - don't know when that happened.  When I got back from my last trip they weren't there anymore.

I just left Esquimalt a week ago and I am pretty sure they still had the Port Security Personnel at the Dockyard gate.

Well, I've been wrong before (once ;)), but I haven't seen them when I've gone through the DY gate in the past 3-4 months, or at the Canteen Rd gate as recently as yesterday.  I will allow that I've not been in that area much in the past while but I will be watching when I head back to work in a couple weeks.

Maybe they're just in the booth and I missed them, but usually they're standing near the Commissionaire.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I just left Esquimalt a week ago and I am pretty sure they still had the Port Security Personnel at the Dockyard gate.
Yes the DY gate activity has been modified.

Regarding the MVA.
One female occupant was pronounced dead at the scene.  The male casualty is in hospital.  There is no military or DND connection with either.  The security measures have been re-evaluated and they are considered appropriate and that the incident will not cause a change in the defence posture.  The CFNIS and Vic PD continue their investigation.  No identities have been released. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back