• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fire At Fred's Hotel in Chapeau

Timex

Inactive
Reaction score
Mmm maybe I should have put this one in "Military History". Fred's was a pretty popular place in the 80's for the Pet gang.

Link from Ottawa Sun attached.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/08/26/6574631.html

We used to go there in the 50's. Back then it had the jackaloo and the clock that ran backward.

Old Sweat said:
We used to go there in the 50's. Back then it had the jackaloo and the clock that ran backward.

They had that there in the late 90's as well. ;)

Lots of memories of 18yr old french girls.....I was 18 myself.

Never been there, but that would be like the Park or the Wainwright burning to the ground.

I can see why people would be upset.

Even with all the people that passed through there all the time, I knew that I could walk in and Fred would still remember who I was and come over and say ' Hey Smiley's here, is it a Caesar or Diet Pepsi night?"

My favourite memory there was watching Fred and another "well-proportioned" gentleman having a belly fight in the doorway between the two rooms.......................or was it while standing in my usual spot and he walked by with a tray of Caeser's and I was hypnotized by the thought of celery in my drink,'Hey, must be good for me, right?" 8)

Heres to a fun man, :salute:....stay strong Fred.

My mother phoned me this morning with the news, very sad day for Chapeau. I was shocked to say the least. Freds was a well known hotel and it will be missed. I really feel bad for the family next door, who lost everything. My sister is driving up from Ottawa to see what she can do for them. Chapeau is a very small town and everyone new each other, this is going to be hard time for all of them.

Chapeau is my home town, I used to live about a 100 feet up the road from Fred's growing up. Quite a place in its hayday, great steaks, cold beer and plenty of street fights. We also had a quite a crowd from Pet show up Friday and Saturday nights. People came from all over to see the silver beaver Fred had hanging behind the bar. He also had a wall with letters and photos from people from all over, even from as far away as Australia, who had vi sisted the hotel. It was more a museum than a hotel, lots of character and the main character was Fred himself. After Fred's youngest son Roland past away a few years back , Fred was never the same, he really never recovered from the loss and he eventually sold the hotel a few years back.

We just got back from Chapeau a few weeks ago after visiting my folks. We all went to Fred's for dinner on our last night there. I'm going to miss that place.

Heres a clip of Freds in earlier times.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lckd4SUiL7U

My family and I would go there every time I played hockey in Shawville. 

The food was always amazing!

Wow...front page coverage.  Who'da thunk it? (Pardon the vernacular, mods).  Fred's made that much of a splash?  Makes me wish I had enjoyed it more!

Salut, Fred's.  Till we meet again :salute:

A few hours at Fred’s meant beer, good cheer
Fred Meilleur ran the legendary Chapeau Hotel — aka Fred’s — for decades. The place, and the man, were unique
By Bruce Ward, The Ottawa Citizen  February 4, 2009

Article Link

OTTAWA — The funeral for legendary Ottawa Valley hotelier Fred Meilleur will be held Saturday at St. Alphonsus Church in Chapeau, a village perched on Allumette Island in Quebec about 140 kilometres west of Ottawa.

“It will be standing room only,” said Brian Adam, the mayor of Allumette Island.

“Fred was a community icon. We’re going to give him a rousing Chapeau send-off.”

It’s likely there won’t be a dry eye at the funeral — nor a dry throat at the celebration of Mr. Meilleur’s life following the service.

Mr. Meilleur and his family ran the Chapeau Hotel, also known as Fred’s Hotel, for 62 years.

“People say the hotel was an institution but it was Fred who was the institution,” said Mr. Adam. “The hotel was a landmark.”

More on link

Sorry to necropost, but I found it via google.

My Great Grandfather, Greg Maloney built the Maloney hotel with his brother, Pete. When Pete died, the hotel was sold and became Fred's. Sadly, I never got a chance to see it.

The Maloney's have an interesting military link: They aren't Irish. Not one bit. Greg and Pete's father was Antoine Maloney. His father was Michael Mainone and was born in Mainz Germany. He came to Canada with Colonel Wittgenstein's Jaeger Company of the Hesse-Hanau Regiment. They fought the Yanks, mostly in New York State, and one of the Jaeger companies was briefly based out of Fort Niagara and fought alongside Butler's Rangers.

Anyway, this post helps me justify my misspent youth, drinking beer and studying history. :)

Thanks for reading.

The husk of that building is still up in Chapeau. I’ve frequented the pub across the street quite a few times. Used to be the old bank now a pub with its own micro brewery. They have a beer dedicated to Fred’s.

The husk of that building is still up in Chapeau. I’ve frequented the pub across the street quite a few times. Used to be the old bank now a pub with its own micro brewery. They have a beer dedicated to Fred’s.
Didn't know that, I'll have to head over next time I'm up that way......

I'm good. Already a patient at the Ottawa Heart Institute! Will have to check it out. Might just do a video on the family connection to the Hessens and Freds!

Back