• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

1302 Bruges Matins - Belgian Peasants Revolt
1358 Jacquerie - French Peasants Revolt
1381 Peasants Revolt - English Peasants Revolt

Just thinking about wars and pandemics.

The Firanji had been kicked out of Acre in 1291, losing the two century Crusade.
The Mongols held the Steppes and were knocking on the doors of Moscow, Kiev and Vienna.

The bills for the Crusades had come due and the King of France was turning the screws on the Lombards, Belgians, Templars and Jews.
The Southern French and the Northern French, both with interests in England, were fighting it out in France over who held the debt.

The Belgians reacted first in 1302 against French tax collectors
France decided it owned the Papacy in 1305
The Templars were censured and their assets seized to the benefit of France in 1307
The Southern French of London went to war with the Northern French of Paris in 1337

And then the Pandemic shows up from the East and kills off one third of everybody 1346-1353

But the London French and the Paris French kept fighting it out for another hundred years until the Mongols and Turks of the Steppes got their attention again and took Constantinople.

Meanwhile One Pope had become Three Popes and a whole lot of people had decided a "pox" on all Popes and Princes - and built their own communities from the bottom up completely disregarding their betters.

Just thinking about wars and pandemics.

The Firanji had been kicked out of Acre in 1291, losing the two century Crusade.
The Mongols held the Steppes and were knocking on the doors of Moscow, Kiev and Vienna.

The bills for the Crusades had come due and the King of France was turning the screws on the Lombards, Belgians, Templars and Jews.
The Southern French and the Northern French, both with interests in England, were fighting it out in France over who held the debt.

The Belgians reacted first in 1302 against French tax collectors
France decided it owned the Papacy in 1305
The Templars were censured and their assets seized to the benefit of France in 1307
The Southern French of London went to war with the Northern French of Paris in 1337

And then the Pandemic shows up from the East and kills off one third of everybody 1346-1353

But the London French and the Paris French kept fighting it out for another hundred years until the Mongols and Turks of the Steppes got their attention again and took Constantinople.

Meanwhile One Pope had become Three Popes and a whole lot of people had decided a "pox" on all Popes and Princes - and built their own communities from the bottom up completely disregarding their betters.
Funny you should mention this. I'm doing a bit of research about pandemics and it seems the Mongols used the bodies of dead troops (bubonic plague) hurled into cities by catapult to infect the populace.

If wasn’t having an effect on the economy the US wouldn’t be putting pressure on our gvt to do something. Doug Ford called a state of emergency because the auto industry was being effectively shut down.

That being said, I am pretty sure that economic issues are not a reason to invoke the EA.

Remius,

I think the bigger problem in the US is political.

Biden is facing some strong headwinds. RealClearPolitics has become my preferred gauge of the US situation. Usual it offsets a Republican media headline with a Democrat media headline. These days both sets of media seem to be agreeing that POTUS and the Dems have big problems. The Republicans are cheering. The Democrats are wondering how they get out of the situation.

Trudeau is playing really well with the Republican media these days. And Biden is facing an amorphous rising of trucker chatter that is threatening to repeat Ottawa in Washington. I don't doubt that Trudeau was reacting to US pressure. But I do doubt that it had anything to do with the economy.

Apparently the Solicitor General of Ontario just fired a staffer over a donation to give send go. Behind a paywall so I didn’t link it.

Apparently the Solicitor General of Ontario just fired a staffer over a donation to give send go. Behind a paywall so I didn’t link it.

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by VH1

This is the thing. People using their work emails…stupid stupid.

But also becomes a liability for the Ford Gvt.
I agree that it was unwise to use that email, but everyone who chose to donate anonymously had an expectation of being anonymous. No one donated thinking it would be hacked. But it should get people thinking of using burner accounts and delinking from social media(seperate topic)
You can't just hide your name since linked to credit card, unless you donate via Crypto.

Format will be wierd, but these are some of the revelant headings.
What would be public if not for the leaks would be first and last name(if you chose to donate publically), donation amount and a message.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220216-155733_Sheets.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220216-155733_Sheets.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 8
This is the thing. People using their work emails…stupid stupid.

But also becomes a liability for the Ford Gvt.
We’ll see if the same applies to the purposes Federal PS employees…

Over-reaction to the protests/blockades could also just be a symptom of governments (Canadian and US) desperate to find at least one file on which to demonstrate useful action, particularly if it consumes a couple of news cycles and pushes all their other worries out of public view for a while.

Oh, here's a nice headline and quotation from CBC:

"Protesters who come to Ottawa risk being tied to 'dangerous criminal activity,' minister says"

"To those who may be thinking to come to Ottawa this weekend — don't," said Mendicino.

"At best, the residents of the city have made it clear that this is not the time. And at worst, you may be tying yourself to dangerous criminal activity."

Discreditable fear-mongering. Chalk another tally on the "incompetent" side of the board.

Over-reaction to the protests/blockades could also just be a symptom of governments (Canadian and US) desperate to find at least one file on which to demonstrate useful action, particularly if it consumes a couple of news cycles and pushes all their other worries out of public view for a while.
Perhaps it was all a ruse to get Governor Whitmer to ease up on Enbridge 5?

Why would it? federal PS types aren’t political staff. Political staff can be let go for any reason.
I took the report at face value. The Solicitor General’s fired employee, Marion Isabeau-Ringuette, was an employee of the Ontario provincial government, not a political staffer of an MPP.

I took the report at face value. The Solicitor General’s fired employee, Marion Isabeau-Ringuette, was an employee of the Ontario provincial government, not a political staffer of an MPP.
Everything out there has her listed as a political staffer not an Ontario public servant.

Example.

And the solicitor general is an MPP. She’s also a minister. Ministers have a a team of political staffers working for them and they are not Ontario public servants.

Same as the federal side.

Why? You've been cheering on this stuff from the beginning. Not happy with the outcomes?

Really??

I'm not against lifting mandates gradually. For instance, QR codes and capacity limits should be lifted immediately. Masking should still be in place to a degree (think crowded transit, LTRs, etc).

I would have also supported the truckers' protest (somewhat) if it had only been just that.

And what outcome are you referring to?

Everything out there has her listed as a political staffer not an Ontario public servant.

Example.

And the solicitor general is an MPP. She’s also a minister. Ministers have a a team of political staffers working for them and they are not Ontario public servants.

Same as the federal side.
Everything?

A spokesperson for Premier Doug Ford confirmed that Marion Isabeau-Ringuette “no longer works for the Ontario government.”

Not sure it gets any clearer than that. It didn’t say Isabeau-Ringuette is no longer an employee of MPP Sylvia Jones’ riding office, she was the Solicitor General’s Director of Communications.

Back