• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freeze on component transfers

Seems like an odd way to fill out the RegF numbers. There shouldn't be a cap on Red Trade transfers until the number of pers in the trg system + qualified people = 100% PML.

PuckChaser said:
Seems like an odd way to fill out the RegF numbers. There shouldn't be a cap on Red Trade transfers until the number of pers in the trg system + qualified people = 100% PML.

Except some trades are significantly overborne, skewing things significantly - there`s a cap on the size of the Reg F, so one too many basketweavers means we can't recruit another hip-hop dancer (Note to readers:  There are no such occupations in the CF.)

And there is much more than merely "Trained strength plus pers in training = PML".  Workforce demographics are analyzed to predict releases and promotions, and to understand the health of occupations in the medium to long term - a trade at 100% of PML with most of its personnel reaching 20 or 25 years of service in the next few years looks healthy but is in fact in dire straits.

[off topic]

dapaterson said:
there`s a cap on the size of the Reg F, so one too many basketweavers means we can't recruit another hip-hop dancer (Note to readers:  There are no such occupations in the CF.)

Damn, I was hoping to OT to basket weaver.  ;)

[/on topic]

Weren't you paying attention?  We're overborne on basket weavers.

You'll have to go for hip hop dancer instead.

PuckChaser said:

The RegForce has been expanding, therefore so has been the PML. However, it is expanding annually, not all in one go. Which is why when you look at the SIP, the numbers are roughly similar over the next few years.

Simply put, the CF is not a bottomless pit of money. You can't just "hire" people. Geez, we'd love to do that where I work.

TimBit said:
Simply put, the CF is not a bottomless pit of money. You can't just "hire" people. Geez, we'd love to do that where I work.

Does the Treasury Board not have salary allocated for each position in the RegF?

In increment with the planned annual hire, i.e. total RegForce numbers in 2009 of x plus intake y = 2010 Reg Force. Intake y is divided per trades. Some substitutions are sometimes possible b/w trades, I think, when one fails to meet the objective.

A bit off topic,

I've always wondered, when a position gets filled and the person fails BMQ and released. Is someone else

gets hired for that same position or be given to a CT or is it just lost for the fiscal year?

meni0n said:
A bit off topic,

I've always wondered, when a position gets filled and the person fails BMQ and released. Is someone else

gets hired for that same position or be given to a CT or is it just lost for the fiscal year?

Short answer:  It depends.

Longer answer: When's the course being run?  Is it at capacity?  Did we over-recruit for that trade assuming some attrition in BMQ?  What's the PML situation for that occupation?  Are there ECPs in that will change PML, so the requirement has changed?

There are regular reviews of the SIP, and the annual AMOR process to identify requirements.  There actually is logic and rigour behind the plans.

dapaterson said:
Short answer:  It depends.

Longer answer: When's the course being run?  Is it at capacity?  Did we over-recruit for that trade assuming some attrition in BMQ?  What's the PML situation for that occupation?  Are there ECPs in that will change PML, so the requirement has changed?

There are regular reviews of the SIP, and the annual AMOR process to identify requirements.  There actually is logic and rigour behind the plans.
It's a good thing you included the "short answer" -- I've been in since the earth was cooling and one of your acronyms even baffled me.  ;D

PML = Preferred Manning Level.  Target trained strength for an occupation.

SIP = Strategic Intake Plan.  How many people we plan to bring in to the CF / OT within the CF for each occupation.

AMOR = Annual Military Occupation Review.  Looks at each occupation to determine promotions, intake and terms of service offers for the coming year, and identifies any other issues of concern.

ECP = Establishment Change Proposal.  Requests for new positions and changes to positions.  For example, an ECP would be drafted if the CF wanted to convert the CO of 2 RCR from INFANTRY to LOG-LAND, or to change the chief clerk of 3 PPCLI from WO to MWO.  (I'm not suggesting either of those take place, but merely giving examples).

Heard some chit chat around the regiment today that the freeze was lifted or being lifted? Any official word on this, or is it just more break room rumors?

If you are a "pure" CT (that is, staying in trade) and are being offered a rank that is distressed you will likely get an offer.  If you are OT'ing and CT'ing, and your selected trade is not red, you will likely not get an offer before the next FY.  OT/CT into a red trade will depend on the number of folks enrolled awaiting training and other variables.

Back