• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

going on course (with a bad A** chest cold)

kaspacanada

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like advice from anyone...I am going on a QL2/3 split on Tuesday morning...I have a bad a** chest cold and can barely jog for ten minutes without coughing and hacking. I really do not want to sit on the sidelines again next year...this one was bad enough. What should I do when I get to Wainwright? See the base medical staff or talk to my instructor or what? It is clearing up a bit and I really hope it is gone when I get there but I can only be hopeful... anyone know what I should do? (I already saw a doctor here and he said there was little I can do but rest and let it run it‘s course)

Kaspacanada

Drink tons of fluids and rest till we go...still got 3 days. Dont drink or exert yourself either.

A westie eh. We are gonna be on the same flight.Rest up.

Bad chest cold eh? Well, Disturbance‘s advice is good, also, you might want to go into a walk-in clinic and make sure it‘s not Bronchitis. If it is, you can get meds that‘ll start to work right away.
When you get to Wainwright, your best bet is to talk to your section commander and ask if you can go to the MIR for advice at the very least.
If it STILL bothers you in a week, go back to the MIR.
UTI‘s are not fun and can spread to everyone else in the shacks. So, if you‘re sick, chances are by the end of the week, everyone else will be too. They‘ll pass it back to you, you‘ll pass it back to them...so on and so on.
The dust in Wainwright (From the dirt in the field and the shale in Tent City) will make it hard to breathe, so I‘d look into maybe getting a hand-full of kleenex to expell the stuff you DO hack up.
Gross as it sounds, look at the stuff you‘re coughing up. If it‘s got blood in it, go to the MIR. If it‘s green, go to the MIR. With the dust and shale in Wainwright, it‘ll prbably be black with some pink colour in it.
If you start wheezing, go to the MIR. If you feel dizzy or nauseated, go to the MIR. If you get a burning sensation in your chest, go to the MIR. If you develop a fever, go to the MIR.If you feel tightness in your chest....guess what? Go to the MIR. (See a theme here?)
Your best bet? Go to the MIR and get it treated so you DON‘T pass it to the rest of the troops on course.
It might also be allergies to pollen, dust, or pet dander, though I‘d have to know what type of other symptoms you‘re having to know for sure.

Anyways, good Luck on your course, hope things work out for you.

My favorite medic ... drumming up business. *L*
Keep dispensing "go to the MIR" advice and the MAs in Wainwright will hate you. Nevertheless, your advice is, as always, very good.

Back