• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Has anyone had anything stolen?

• Thread starter Thread starter gorf
  • Start date Start date
I remember on my BMQ this guy in my section kept loosing his gerber and always told people it was stolen. Every time it was found. One time in the shower after he had a shower (when he wasn't sapposed to be showering too), one time on his bed, another time in his locker, and a bunch of different places. It was always found by the same MCpl too. I have no idea how you'd loose your gerber in the shower. It was a big open group shower too! What the heck would he have it in there for. Apparantly he even lost the canister (I forget what it's called) for the gasmask and went into the gashut without one and went running out, half suffocated!

On our SQ, one of the Cadets stole a friend of mines boots..thats right, his boots. He never did get them back, but he learned never to forget kit in the lockers.

I had a guy switch his fleece with mine once on tour. When his was issued, apparently it was too small. So he decided to take mine and leave his for me. It was interesting to put mine on one morning (after I'd been wearing it for months) and find that suddenly the thing wouldn't zip up and the sleeves were four inches too short. Good thing when they were issued the supply techs noted the sizes as well as the NSN. Maybe it was a mistake but I kinda doubt it. Taught me to label everything.

I accidentally stole some combat pants once. I got home from weekend BMQ and found out that I had one more pair than I took with me. I must have mistaken them for mine when I was packing up. They weren't labeled and when I took them back the next weekend asking if anyone was missing a pair no one claimed them. It didn't really matter in the end though since everyone got CADPAT a few weeks later anyway.

I have had a few towels switched on me in the showers, I probably possess the CF's largest collection of face cloths :D

Oh man, I accidently stole a towel after showering once. It was one of those army ones they issue you that feel like sandpaper. I just got out of the shower and I grabed the towel right where I hung mine, and proceded to dry myself with it, I then realized I had brought my own towel which was a different colour, and it was on the floor. I then put the towel I grabbed back where I found it picked mine up and hightailed it out of there. Never even looked to see whos towel I had. (It was also a group shower so I had many other things on my mind)

"(It was also a group shower so I had many other things on my mind)"

And, ...ahhhhh.... just what do you mean by that?

As for stolen kit (28 years worth):
77/78 Combat Gloves - a few pair: Must leave parkas on hooks in hall of B-102!
1979 64 pat web complete:  was a cas on a 1 Cdn Fd Hosp Ex.  Our webbing went into a Paul Bunion.  Gone.  Summer 1980, teaching on the Mattawa plain and I jacked up an OCdt for wearing my webbing.  Had my name on it.  Turns out he bought it at John"I never buy kit from soldiers" 's War Surplus.
1982- A CF LS shirt in the South  upstairs laundry in F16.
1999- a gerber on Prarie Ram.
2000- A beret and hat badge in Bosnia.
2003- fleese top from the bustle of my Coyote on BTE 03
Pretty much it, more or less.  Maybe some laundry missing from a CFE bag on a FallEx/Reforger.

Now Vehicle kit, that's another nightmare.  You'd never think the Radar Aerial l Head Assy telescope was worth 11, 800 bucks, would you?  Possibly stolen during a kit check. 

Tom

I am the bane (bain??) of MP's everywhere, as I am one of those type's of people who feel that if you can't trust the people you work with, who can you trust??? I rarely lock my locker at work (during work hours) (I do at the base gym, due to the number of civvies and dependants that go there) and never lock my car while it's on the base (unless I'm at the CANEX, for the same reason as above).

Now,as for what I've had stolen: driver's goggles on my first PCF ('88), my bike from the bike rack outside barracks (lived beside Jr Ranks) and yes, it was unlocked ('91), IPE bag with old steel pot and various other pers kit after an ex, and walked away from kit truck somehow (early 90's), watch from base gym (hanging on curtain that divides courts) (about '01), and possibly my civvie GPS while teaching on course last year (it may have fell off vehicle, but I wonder....).

Not too bad for 17 years ( I was in cadets for 5 years, and 4 summer cadet camps, but my memory fails me from that era). The watch (a $35 Timex) was actually the one that pissed me off more than anything else, probably because it was a co-worker (I'm 99.99% sure who stole it). I wouldn't be so gracious as to say the person was a soldier, because even though all soldiers "steal" to some degree (how many rolls of guntape does anybody need, anyway???? If we had a Guntape Amnesty Day, I'm sure we could fill SkyDome with all those rolls.....) but, a soldier should never, ever steal from another soldier. The individual who I believe stole my watch was charged with theft (rumour has it that at his trial, there were X6 6-ft tables (!!) full of kit ( personal, military, otherwise) that he lifted). Anyway, his sob story was along the lines of he had to because he needed the money because he had been sued, blah,blah,blah..... The whole story would fill about 10 pages, but it still doesn't excuse him for his actions.

To think that there are no thieves in the military is naive, but I don't want to live in fear. A lock only keeps an honest person honest, but there is no point in making it easy for the thieves that are out there: mark your kit clearly, and make it well known that you have a highly infectious, uncurable skin-disease  :-X ...... Just kidding on that last bit, but whatever works....

One thing that annoys me, as I think that it has been taught incorrectly at the basic training, or word of mouth, level, is the practice of completely blacking out the previous owners name from a piece of kit. I believe a line striking out the name (so that it is still legible) is sufficient, as otherwise, to me anyways, it indicates that you are trying to hide something (ie that you stole it, and are trying to hide that persons name up). If that's what you do, don't blow a nut, and say that I am accusing you of being a thief. Just think of it from that point of view.

Here's a fairly amusing story about a "theft" (and I'm sure anybody with TI has a similiar one): The scene: the laundry room in O-19 in Petawawa. The players: A reservist cook joining the RCD to go to Cyprus, an MP, soldiers living in. The story: The cook places his laundry into a washing machine, comes back a few hours later to find it missing. MP is called in. He is taking the cook's statement about what was stolen, what happened, etc. A living-in soldier walks in, opens a dryer and says to no-one in particular: "Who's kit is this?". Any guess on whose kit it was (and the first 2 guesses don't count). Anyway, the cook wanted whomever put "his" kit into the dryer charged with theft, as "they" didn't have his permission to do so. The MP closes his notepad and walked away in disgust, and much laughter ensued.....

Al

I have had quite a few items stolen, it has made me sad to think that your buddy or fellow Armed Forces member would steal from you. And you know who you are, they ahould be kicked out of the forces. The first item was on my recruit course, my jacket was stolen out of my closet, the next item was when I was in transit in Ottawa waiting for a flight to Edmonton, I put my watch and glasses on the top of a locker beside me, I was on the second bunk, when I awoke the watch was gone. In Edmonton when I was out doing PT someone broke into my locker and stole some of my kit. And just last year when away on ex, I returned to my locker that had been brocken into to find most of my civy items gone.

It is sad that in a country like Canada you cannot trust a fellow brother in the forces...

Haven't ever really had anything stolen, but I always seem to come back from a course with double the amount of grey wool socks I left with.

D*mn you Bloggins! I always seem to come back froma  course with half the socks I left with! ;D

I find one good practice is, to avoid ****ing buddy, if you find insecure kit lying about, be a pal, hold on to it, try to find out who's it is, and return it, with a little ribbing ensuing.

Otherwise, someone may decide to appropriate it...The exception to this is any weapons component.... If you lose that, somethings definitely not been ingrained in you well enough, and should be done with proper application of a boot :warstory:

Ok I remember another good one, although it wasn't stolen by a soldier..

Guy, if you're out there, you should remember this one well..

Two duffle bags, Vimy Ridge, both full of beer.. Probably shouldn't have left them alone.. Finding out the hard way that our idea of sleeping under the stars with a ranger blanket didn't work as well without the ranger blanket (especially wearing shorts and tank tops).. Also, no hotels in Vimy, no way to call a cab, and no trains heading back to big cities. Deciding to run back to Arras at 1am (it's like 20km), stopping occasionally to eat barely (yes the raw grain) from the fields because we were "SOOO HUNGRY"... Not surprisingly, no one stopped to pick us up when we tried to hitchhike..

Being quite thankful that the approx $6000 US we had between the two of us, our passports, and our Eurorail passes were in our pockets, not in the duffle bags like our plane tickets were. It took a bit of doing but we managed to get back to Thessaloniki without the plane tickets ;)

What a way to spend LTA. At least we got back in one piece :)

In my younger days barrack room thieves were regarded as the lowest form of human life and were abused, badly abused.

It was an offence â “ worth extra training of some sort or another, which was all NCOs could award - to leave your kit unsecured.   â Å“Locks,â ? one of my recruit instructors used to say, â Å“keep honest men honest.   If you don't lock up your kit you are tempting an honest man and, maybe, destroying him.â ?

Many miles of curb was painted blue, gold and black over many week-ends by young fellows, including me, who forget to lock up their kit.

One of my colleagues, a fellow named Denny Ringland, had his jeep stolen.   We were on the ranges in North Germany (Soltau or Bergen-Hohne, probably) and Denny decided to go to Hamburg (a few pints, a show, maybe get his oil changed).   He called his driver/operator and off they went, in a jeep with two radios.   Then Denny decided that his driver/operator should not wait outside in the cold and rain, etc ... well you know the rest.   A few hours later out they toddle and: no jeep.

Denny was not the most popular officer ever, but I was impressed with the speed and efficacy with which a new jeep was 'acquired' and, especially, with the ability of the radio mechanics in the Sigs Platoon to 'create' two new radios.   Denny still got court-martialed â “ severe rep, I think â “ but, despite discrepancies in serial numbers, the huge financial penalty which awaited him was avoided.    

My Girlfriends Grandfather was telling me a story the other day.  When his unit was getting ready to deploy to Sicily, they had this guy who was not well liked in the Squadron - apparently he had a shady past, didn't get along with others, and seemed to be around when stuff went missing.

Anyways, Grandpa gets wounded when his tank brews up in Sicily.  While in the hospital, he sees this guy come in with his hands mashed to shit.  Apparently, Grandpa's squaddies had caught the guy in the act and decided to deal with it - they held him down and backed a Sherman Tank over his hands....

Your girlfriend's grandfather must have been in the 11th, 12, or 14th CAR, (I think the Ont R, Three Rivers Regt, and the Calgary Tanks) of the !st Cdn Army Tk Bde.  My stepfather was in @nd Cdn Lt Fd Amb, witch was part of that bde.  He landed in sicily summer 43.

He too, told a story about getting his kit bag stolen by one of the "smooth" operators in the unit.  No proof.

There is a major at RMC currently writing a history of the 1st Cdn Army Tk Bde.

Tom

Back