• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Algonquin

Trust me, submariners want to make certain that they are "in" the submarine, not "on " it.

That's actually a pretty big safety issue. The RAN lost a couple of submariners when they were thought to be in the boat, not on it.

MARS said:
100% correct.  Not going to debate that angle.

However, the navy has its own language...for everything.  Decks, deckhead, bulkheads, galley, bow, stern, athwartships, etc, etc.  Why bother with that then?  "In" and "the" are simply part of that.  Nothing more, nothing less.  But somehow, people manage to use those terms but can’t manage "in" or "the"?  Why?  Not enough room in the brain for that?  If "in" or "the" aren’t a big deal for sailors, then lets drop the whole damn thing.  The entire tradition of our language.  F**k it, unimportant.

But really, no one in the navy, not even those too lazy to wrap their brains around "in" and "the", would go for that.

Seriously gclarke, I dare you to go to your XO and tell him that you saw some 'garbage' on the 'floor' down the 'hall', up the 'stairs' on the 'second floor'.  Tell me how that works out for you.  Actually, say that to your CO - he and I taught at Venture for years together and spent a great deal of time teaching the customs and traditions of the Navy to JOUTS. Because that is all this is - "customs and traditions".  Meh, unimportant, I guess.  Did you bother to get your Executive Curl put on your tunic?  Again, simply a tradition.  Why should the Navy spend money on a tradition like that?  Not life or death.  Has no impact on how we do our day to day jobs.

I could care less what those from the other elements have to say - they have their own customs and traditions that I find odd - because I don’t fully understand them and where they came from, but they are their customs and traditions.  They have a place - if they didn't, they would have been done away with.

Chief Stoker, you are also correct.  More important things to worry about, I guess.  But Chiefs and Petty Officers are supposed to be the custodians of the Navy's customs and traditions, no?  Those who sustain our traditions through thick and thin? Well, if the Chiefs won’t do it, then I guess us XOs will.  Seriously, guy, I got this.  Don’t sweat it.

Regards,

MARS

Talk about over kill. Nice read between the lines there, btw it's a msg board and in my field I am all for professionalism and getting things right however there is right as in the right way of doing things, and right because you can't stand to be wrong, or rather just like the sound of your own voice. Want to talk about professionalism, your little read between the lines, bolded really isn't it, comes across like a little kid whining in the schoolyard to the teacher cause they got pushed.

Wow!  How does a simple little joke turn into a major debate?  My original point was that someone made a minor (albeit common) mistake in terminology and so I attempted to use humour to correct it.

With regard to attention to detail - No, saying "on" versus "in" a ship is not a matter of life or death, but attention to detail is a mindset.  If you don't pay attention to the simple things, how can we be assured you're paying attention to the really important ones.  I was in a ship at sea that had an explosion and suffered thousands of dollars in damage (luckily no one was hurt), because someone didn't think it mattered what type of lubricant was used.  Does "never pass a fault" have a caveat that says, "unless you feel it's not life threatening?"

I give no credence to anything just because it is published, even by official sources.  The article referenced on the first female submariner had a number of mistakes, despite the fact that it was written by a naval public affairs officer.  Not only did it talk about being "on" a ship, it also mentioned that the women in question "took" her commission.  I'm sorry, but commissions are not there for the taking.  They do not come upon request.  They are granted after they have been earned.  The fact that many folks talk about "taking" their commissions, doesn't make it right.

Yes, you can go "inside" a ship.  You open the door and walk in.  Many people stand "inside" the bridge and then go "below decks" afterwards.

Yes I have been around since ships were wooden.  The minesweepers were all made of wood and incidentally, the XO of which I speak was the XO of a minesweeper.  When I joined the Navy, we all wore green and many of our ships were driven by steam.

Finally, my XO, although he did make that threat, he was joking! ;D  He was trying to enforce the concept of getting it right through the use of humour.

Jaydub said:
I'm on the Algonquin.  I'm fairly new onboard.  The first thing I noticed was how tight the crew is.  There's a lot of good people. 
Although I would have preferred to stay on a Frigate, the crew has made the posting enjoyable.

The CO is awesome.  He was my XO on HMCS Winnipeg.

When do you get here?

Been in the Navy for 35 years. Just got posted off the Algonquin. It's a good ship, with a good crew. Lots of new people but should be an okay trip. I only got to serve ON Algonquin for just over a year but I had some good times.

Happy sailing.

Barsoom

Barsoom said:
Just got posted off the Algonquin.

Sure you weren't posted out of the Algonquin? :rofl:

:sorry:I really couldn't help myself. :whistle:

cupper said:
Sure you weren't posted out of the Algonquin? :rofl:

:sorry:I really couldn't help myself. :whistle:

Nope, it's off.  Never, ever have heard some hairybag mutter they have been posted "out" of any thing.

yoman said:
She caught fire on my first day at sea...

The crew likes to pick on NCdt's... (some funny stuff though and was kinda expected)

They like to play binder clipper wars...

Anything else?  :D

I only spent a little over a month on her so I'm not the best person if your looking for more detailed info/more recent info.

I forgot about binder clip wars ;D

Back