• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS CHARLOTTETOWN deploying to join CBG off Libya

Pat in Halifax

Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Surprised this isn`t here already and if so, in another forum...oops. Got `word`of this one yesterday morning, but CHA is sailling tomorrow morning around 1000. Nothing like a long distance-unsupported-don`t know when they`re coming home mission but I am sure all us sailors would probably drop our chores to go.
Good luck boys and keep your heads down.
I am sure more to follow.
Remember for all contributing to this thread too-OPSEC.

It's here. As one who has done the same thing, welcome to the oops club.

And oops to me. I had the source stored to post, and had a senior's moment.

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/99510/post-1022527.html#msg1022527

Under

The Newsroom » International Situation & World News » Topic: Turmoil in Libya- 2011

I feel like an ass now.
Mod(s)-move/remove as you see fit
But, before that happens, though I have never sailled on board CHA, does that ship have a "Kick Me" sign hanging off her stern!...thinking back over the last 8-10  years or so.

I originally posted the news article in "International News", but it was moved to "The Newsroom".

Didn't know that there was already a 6 page thread going!!

Well, let's see if we can keep this open (for the time being anyway) for CHARLOTTETOWN's sake. I am sure there will be more news in the morning. Fired off an email to a friend on board this aft "Good luck and smooth sailling - keep your head down".

Yes there was a lot of scrabbling to get bodies to sail today. I heard quite a bit  of "your going" over the phone today.

Yeah, but shades of OP Lion or as one mate said "OP Lying Bastards" earlier today.  This is all well and good, but until they are off the shores of Tripolli, I won't bet on it.  We were all pumped, did amazing things to get ready in 48 hrs, only to have the rug yanked out from under our feet by events in 06.

I was CERA on HAL then. We called it (Finally after 3 days of coming to "Immediate Notice") OP TABBY CAT!
I think this one is for real though. The PM even said" THE HMCS Charlottetown" My emphasis on the "THE". A fraudian slip me-hopes.

I believe that I'm still the only sailor in Halifax that's ever been recalled from Parental Leave for a deployment (MON, Lebannon) that was a busy week.  The difference between then and now is that the PM didn't ever publicly announce the departure of any ships.

I'm 'well acquainted' with the crew on the CHA, and yes, there has been much scrambling and many phone calls this week.  Fun times for all I'm sure!

To those sailing, fair winds and following seas.  Look up Wednesday's Traditional Toast. 

To those of you left behind, I offer you Thursday's Traditional toast. 

NS

http://www.hmsrichmond.org/toast.htm

And here's the CF news release:
Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Charlottetown will depart Halifax on the morning of Wednesday, March 2, 2011 to take part in the Canadian operations already under way in the region of Libya. The ship should take approximately seven days to reach its destination in the Mediterranean Sea.

Operation Mobile is the Canadian Forces contribution to Canada’s emergency evacuation response to the situation in Libya. HMCS Charlottetown will augment the Canadian Forces presence already in the region supporting Government of Canada evacuation operations. This mission demonstrates Canada’s solidarity with our partners and allies as we continue to work together to address the situation in the region. Canada stands ready to support the wider international response to the situation in Libya, including supporting humanitarian assistance efforts.

“I know that our naval personnel are some of the best trained and best-led in the world and I am proud that HMCS Charlottetown is joining other Canadian Forces members in assisting with the crisis in Libya,” said Minister MacKay. “Canada's is a quickly deployable force that brings credit to our nation whenever called upon to assist in international efforts.”

“The men and women of the Canadian Forces will answer the call of duty to secure Canadian interests and to contribute to the security of those in need,” said General Walter Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff. “Our men and women are pleased to contribute to this international effort and cooperate with our allies.”

HMCS Charlottetown , a Halifax-class frigate, is commanded by Commander Craig Skjerpen, carries a ship’s company of about 240 officers and sailors, along with a CH-124 Sea King helicopter and air detachment.

Nothing at the CEFCOM page on OP Mobile as of this post.

Stay safe, all!

To all members of HMCS CHARLOTTETOWN: I wish you all the best

:salute:

Any ideas as to what their role is going to be? I'm thinking that if things keep going at the rate they currently are in Libya, and it does fall into a state of civil war, this might not be the last ship we send.

To the crew, best wishes and stay safe.  :yellow:

From Hansard:
Mr. Stephen Woodworth (Kitchener Centre, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, Canadians have been following the dire situation in Libya with great concern.  Could the Prime Minister please update the House on the government's response to this crisis?
next intervention previous intervention

Right Hon. Stephen Harper (Prime Minister, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, in light of the trouble and likely ongoing concerns in the region, the HMCS Charlottetown will depart Halifax tomorrow to take part in Canadian and international evacuation operations that are already under way in Libya.  I am proud that HMCS Charlottetown is being dispatched quickly to join the Canadian Forces and our allies to help our efforts in Libya.  The men and women of our naval forces and the men and women of all of our armed forces have been called upon time and time again to make a difference in difficult situations. We are once again pleased that they are answering the call.

Yes, Charlottetown.  Fair winds indeed.  Lucky bastards, wish I was going with you.  Always a bridesmaid on these jaunts so it seems.

willellis said:
Any ideas as to what their role is going to be?

The ships presence in the area is a role unto itself. It represents Canadian interest in the situation.

willellis said:
Any ideas as to what their role is going to be?
Adding to CDN Aviator's response, given how quickly things have been changing in the area, it appears the task is still being sorted out:
…. Cmdr. Craig Skjerpen (link to bio here), addressing his crew before departure, said they were heading into an “emerging humanitarian crisis” in North Africa, along with the navies of the United States, Britain and other Western nations. The country is in revolt over the 41-year reign of dictator Moammar Gadhafi. Skjerpen told reporters little is yet known about the Charlottetown’s actual role once it arrives off Libya, which will come following a week-long Atlantic crossing. He doesn’t know yet whether the ship will join an existing NATO fleet or a U.S. naval task force, both now in the Mediterranean. Skjerpen also said he has no orders to begin enforcing United Nations trade sanctions against Libya. Nor does the frigate have stocks of humanitarian aid on board. “It’s a very dynamic situation over there right now, so we’ll have to adapt to whatever happens.” ….
There will be NO shortage of work needing to be done for a resource like this once it gets there.

Back