• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hybrid Electric Vehicles

Your last point is why I have a gas fireplace that doesn't require any electricity to operate. It may only heat part of the house but it is better than nothing if the power goes out for a long period of time.

Living in BC, Aldergrove, there were a fair number of evenings where supper was prepared over the gas fire in the family room because the storms of November dragged the power lines down.

Unless we go full nuke and hydro, we'll still need fossil fuel power generation to make the electricity to charge all those batteries.

Mind, none of us will be able to buy one. Only special folk will.

I purposely left out the useless wind and solar as any kind of reliable, mass source of electricity.

Unless we go full nuke and hydro, we'll still need fossil fuel power generation to make the electricity to charge all those batteries.

Mind, none of us will be able to buy one. Only special folk will.

I purposely left out the useless wind and solar as any kind of reliable, mass source of electricity.

As Germany found out, it never hurts to diversify your national energy sources ;)

Your last point is why I have a gas fireplace that doesn't require any electricity to operate. It may only heat part of the house but it is better than nothing if the power goes out for a long period of time.
And also why I have a wood stove with a flat cooking surface.

Reactions: KJK
back to the subject of the title, with China placing export restrictions on the minerals required for batteries, what use will we get out of our new facilities? Granted we have resources available in Canada but I can't recall seeing any development approvals or first nation approvals for said developments. And then there is the delays caused by environmental assessments to be included. I would guess at a minimum 10 years to get a project up and running and that doesn't include building access routes to profitably ship the stuff to the factories. Made in Canada electric cars are a dream.

back to the subject of the title, with China placing export restrictions on the minerals required for batteries, what use will we get out of our new facilities? Granted we have resources available in Canada but I can't recall seeing any development approvals or first nation approvals for said developments. And then there is the delays caused by environmental assessments to be included. I would guess at a minimum 10 years to get a project up and running and that doesn't include building access routes to profitably ship the stuff to the factories. Made in Canada electric cars are a dream.
With a change in government, I would expect a push to develop our Rare Earths holdings and LNG capability. Thank god LNGCanada got approved before numbnuts got in. With it up and running, and a new development friendly government, expect to see another major LNG facility on the coast. I also expect to see Woodfibre (Also done under the old rules) completed as well which is a smaller scale facility completed in the near future.

With a change in government, I would expect a push to develop our Rare Earths holdings and LNG capability. Thank god LNGCanada got approved before numbnuts got in. With it up and running, and a new development friendly government, expect to see another major LNG facility on the coast. I also expect to see Woodfibre (Also done under the old rules) completed as well which is a smaller scale facility completed in the near future.
I definitely do not share everyone's eagerness to eliminate the ICE but forI definitely do not share everyone's eagerness to eliminate the ICE but for our economy's sake I hope you are correct in your optimism. Having 3 facilities worth all that money sitting idle scares the hell out of me

I definitely do not share everyone's eagerness to eliminate the ICE but forI definitely do not share everyone's eagerness to eliminate the ICE but for our economy's sake I hope you are correct in your optimism. Having 3 facilities worth all that money sitting idle scares the hell out of me
Getting rid of ICE vehicles is full stupidity driven by politicians who work off a 3 page briefing note. Supplementing ICE vehicles is the way to go. I like this guys approach.

Credit where credit’s due: Kemi Badenoch called it. Early in September, rumours started circulating that Rishi Sunak wanted to push back the UK’s ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030 to 2035. There were rumblings of discontent and backbench MPs started getting twitchy.

Ford, which has pledged to go fully electric by the end of this decade, blasted the Prime Minister before he had even made his announcement. “Our business needs three things from the UK government: ambition, commitment and consistency,” seethed Lisa Brankin, the UK chair of the US carmaker. “A relaxation of 2030 would undermine all three.”

But Badenoch, the trade secretary and former business secretary, told a WhatsApp group of fellow Tory MPs to stand firm. Carmakers, she pointed out, “certainly do not always speak with one voice on any issue”. She was right.

Within hours, Toyota had somewhat upset the prevailing narrative by welcoming the UK government’s announcement, saying it provided “the clarity industry has been asking [for] and recognises that all low-emission and affordable technologies can play a role in a pragmatic vehicle transition”.

The recent corporate reporting season has revealed that selling EVs is becoming a real slog. Car dealers are reporting that electric cars are taking longer to shift than their gas-guzzling counterparts. Unsold inventory is starting to stack up at dealerships, which are offering increasingly large discounts on plug-in models.

Ford has halted $12bn (£9.9bn) of planned spending on EV production. General Motors has abandoned its goal of building 400,000 EVs by the second half of next year. GM and Honda are scrapping a year-and-a-half old joint venture to develop cheaper EV models.

None of this will be in any way surprising to Akio Toyoda, the chairman of Toyota. About a year ago, he noted that plenty of people in his industry were putting the vast majority of their chips on an EV revolution despite privately questioning the wisdom of such an approach.

At the time, many global governments had some mix of policies in place designed to phase out combustion engines and encourage the adoption of EVs. A blizzard of new models were being released. The future looked to be electric.

Toyoda may not have been alone in refusing to buy into that prognosis. But he was practically alone in calling it out. His strategy was based on a radical concept called “consumer choice”. Rather than telling buyers what they wanted, Toyoda reasoned it might be a better idea to provide a range of options – electric vehicles, yes, but also hybrids, plug-in hybrids and hydrogen-powered cars – and let the market decide.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal last December, Toyoda said: “Because the right answer is still unclear, we shouldn’t limit ourselves to just one option.” The Japanese executive had to face down remarkable anger from environmentalists and pressure from the ESG investment crowd. But what bordered on heresy then, looks increasingly like rare common sense now.
Toyoda is not some kind of reactionary stick-in-the-mud. He’s not saying that electric won’t be part of the mix nor that there isn’t a sizable number of buyers for greener options. Indeed, Toyota’s own head of sales for North American recently pointed out that demand for hybrids is “smoking hot”.

Short form: Don't bet the farm on politicians.

Hmm, so our potential multi-billion dollar battery investment may be premature?

Hmm, so our potential multi-billion dollar battery investment may be premature?

From the same article

A worldwide arms race to develop battery technology will inevitably bring down costs in time. Scientists appear to be close to making a transformative breakthrough on solid state batteries (and, by the way, Toyota is at the vanguard of this push). Such developments are all to the good.

Kind of looks like the debate is still open on the best battery.

In the meantime

Toyoda is not some kind of reactionary stick-in-the-mud. He’s not saying that electric won’t be part of the mix nor that there isn’t a sizable number of buyers for greener options. Indeed, Toyota’s own head of sales for North American recently pointed out that demand for hybrids is “smoking hot”.

Moving at the pace of the infantry... keeping one foot on the ground.

It doesn't have to be a net loss. Some enterprising visionary could likely come up alternate uses. Perhaps, if the price could be brought down, they could be used as emergency power for homes, instead of generators.

It doesn't have to be a net loss. Some enterprising visionary could likely come up alternate uses. Perhaps, if the price could be brought down, they could be used as emergency power for homes, instead of generators.
Start-ups actually working on it>

Back