• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IED Explosion Claims Life of Sergeant Jason Boyes- March 16/ 2008

Rest In Peace, Sgt. Jason Boyes.

Thank you for protecting my Freedom.  :cdn:

Slain soldier described as family man, 'warrior' , CTV.ca News Staff

A Canadian soldier killed late Sunday while on a routine foot patrol in Afghanistan's turbulent Panjwaii District has been identified.

Sgt. Jason Boyes of 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Shilo, Man., was killed after he stepped on an explosive device.
The 32-year-old was born in Napanee, Ont. (earlier reports had him from Lynn Lake, Man.). He is the first Canadian to be killed while on foot patrol in nearly a year.

"We are devastated by this news. Jason loved his job, he loved the military, and his fellow soldiers loved him back. His world was his daughter, Mackenzie,
his wife, Alison, his dogs and his family," Boyes' family said in a statement distributed by the military. "This was his third tour in Afghanistan. We have always,
and still do, support this mission."

More on article link

My sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Sgt Boyes.

He was as fine a soldier as I have ever served with, and a natural leader who always set the example. 

RIP Sgt Boyes.

Did my JLC/ JNCO with Boyes. He voluntarily dropped out of the JNCO portion to deploy with Athena in '02, citing that the chickenshit course could be done at any time, and going to war with his company was his #1 priority. Something to be said about mission before self.
RIP

OTTAWA, Ont. - Our fallen soldier, Sergeant Jason Boyes, 32, 2nd Battalion, Princes Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (2 PPCLI), based out of Shilo, Manitoba, is scheduled to return home to Canada tomorrow.

Where: 8 Wing Trenton, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.
When: Wednesday, March 19, 2:00 p.m.
What: At the wishes of the family, there will be no media permitted on the tarmac and no interviews will be given.

Present to pay their respects will be Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence, Laurie Hawn, and other dignitaries.

Sgt Boyes:
Thank you for your leadership and efforts in the Army and your ultimate sacrifice.  I pray for you, your family and comrades left behind.  Many people will benefit from your work for many generations to come.  May you Rest in Peace.

I just got back from an overpass (Victoria Park)above the "Highway of Heroes"  We stood there, about 5-10 police, 1 police dog, a few paramedics, all of their vehicles with lights going and about 15-20 civilians.  Our flags hanging all over the overpass.  Thousands of vehicles passed under us,  hundreds honked and waved.  First one police car with lights and sirens, then another and another.  The highway emptied of ALL vehicles, and then a large group of police cars followed a hearse, another and another, I don't even remember the amount because it was hard to see through the tears.  All the EMS, police officers saluted and we all stood there waving.  Every single car in the entourage had someone waving at us.  And one of the hearses had a few hands out the window waving at us.  It was only about 30 seconds of my life, very emotional, and something that I will never forget.
And I appreciate the sacrifice of Sgt. Boyes and my heart goes out to his family and brothers in arms.  They have all been dealt a heavy blow and I hope that will one day be able to find joy in life again.  Rest in Peace, Jason.  THANK YOU!!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/03/26/boyes-funeral.html

Funeral held for soldier killed in Afghanistan
Spent much of his career at Shilo military base in Manitoba

A funeral was held Wednesday at Canadian Forces Base Shilo for Sgt. Jason Boyes, 10 days after the soldier was killed in Afghanistan.

Boyes, 32, was on foot patrol March 16 when he was killed by a roadside bomb in the volatile Panjwaii district of Kandahar province. He was just days into his third tour of duty in Afghanistan.

He spent much of his career at the Shilo military base in western Manitoba. Fellow soldiers described him as a natural leader who epitomized the "warrior spirit."

Boyes was born in Napanee, Ont., and is survived by his wife and a two-year-old daughter.

Wednesday's funeral was private at the request of his family.

Boyes was the 81st Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan.
With files from the Canadian Press

Back