• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Impressed with the recruiting process

rickrobs

Inactive
Reaction score
I find it very smooth and well polished.  Every visit to the CFRC so far has been a pleasurable experience.  The staff is knowledgeable and empathetic and the environment is very comfortable.

Why can't all government offices be like this?

Maybe it's just me, but I am very impressed and I'm wondering if this might be an indication of what employment with the Canadian Forces is going to be like. 

You weren't payed to say that right?

I'm recently enrolled.. and I can tell you, my recruitment process (ROTP Civvie U) seemed really disorganized on the CRFC end of things.

It's all good though, nothing to complain too much about, but I wouldn't say flawless.

A lot of the experience that an individual has at the CFRC depends on the program, who they are working with at the CFRC and which CFRC they are working with, and when.  I've seen excellent experiences at CFRCs that otherwise had lots of problems, and vice versa.  As well, the experience level of the CFRC varies as different people are posted in and out.  Senior leadership would like continual improvement across the country, to provide a universal excellent standard of service to every person who walks in the CFRC.  The reality is, if the person on the other side of the counter has just broken up with their spouse, they are not as likely to be as attentive to the applicant's concerns as they may otherwise have been. 

BC Old Guy said:
A lot of the experience that an individual has at the CFRC depends on the program, who they are working with at the CFRC and which CFRC they are working with, and when.  I've seen excellent experiences at CFRCs that otherwise had lots of problems, and vice versa.  As well, the experience level of the CFRC varies as different people are posted in and out.  Senior leadership would like continual improvement across the country, to provide a universal excellent standard of service to every person who walks in the CFRC.  The reality is, if the person on the other side of the counter has just broken up with their spouse, they are not as likely to be as attentive to the applicant's concerns as they may otherwise have been.

I work in recruiting on the East Coast so I like to hear comments both good and constructive. To get a posting to recruiting you have to be screened, just like a posting overseas or something. Most people I work with love their jobs as I do, because you get to see so many fine Canadian's joining the CF. We are human though, and we do deploy to Afghan or other places as anyone else, but overall it is a great posting. Thank you for your comments.

dbouls said:
You weren't payed to say that right?

I'm recently enrolled.. and I can tell you, my recruitment process (ROTP Civvie U) seemed really disorganized on the CRFC end of things.

It's all good though, nothing to complain too much about, but I wouldn't say flawless.

I would agree with you about the ROTP process, it had some flaws last year and caused some grief to some applicants. I would say that the issue was at a higher level than the staff assisting you at the CFRC. The issues have also been fixed for next year.

Congrats on your selection to you both.

My experiences with the CFRCs have been almost the exact opposite as the initial post. The only similarity is that everyone was very friendly.

Almost every time I have phoned or gone in to talk to someone I have gotten conflicting answers. It just seems that there are a lot of people who work there who have their own understanding of how things work, and most of them are conflicting.

Every time I was given a time line for how long things would take, the actual amount of time it took was at minimum doubled. When I first joined when I was 18 I never noticed any of these problems because everything was handled through the co-op office at my high school. But this time I have very quickly learned that time lines were vague guesses(meant to be a guide, not concrete), and that guarantees were not dependable. I dont look down on the military for this, I just think it should be commonplace to give civilians the disclaimer that anything can change at an instant and there are no guarantees. I am not bothered by things taking a while, just be open about it.

I was told last year that my processing would take no time and I would be starting courses by October. News of the recession was scaring most local businesses and hiring had slowed down. I was starting my first year in university and the reserves would have been all I needed to supplement my loans. Since I couldn't find a job elsewhere(McDicks, Tims, anywhere), I was dependent on the position in the CF. The comment made by the recruiter that "there is no way you wont be processed in time" was proved false when the school year started and the CF hadn't even looked at my file yet. I phoned many times and was always told to phone back in two weeks. So I ended up having to drop out of school for the year. I have been "in process" for the whole year, having appointments canceled the night before, having paperwork misplaced, having to wait a month and a half for a single piece of paper to be received, being delayed to the point where I missed the cut off date for going on the summer course. 

To make matters worse, and I realize these are my own problems, the closest CFRC is more then 1.5 hours away and to get there my dad has to lose a day's pay to drive me down. So every time there was a problem when I got to the appointment and something had to be rescheduled, it was that much more stressful. I am a lot more understanding then my father who expected me to rip a strip off everyone in a uniform if something went wrong

I realize how biased this all must sound, as if I am bitter and lashing out, but that is not the case. Part of me is still in disbelief that things could go so far off the tracks, but shit happens. I don’t go around whining or begging for pity, I have just had some bad luck with my processing.

With all the negative events so far, I realize that my experiences don’t speak for all recruiting staff, just a few confused people making some mistakes. There have been one or two people I have met that are hideously knowledgeable, helpful, and seem as if they are inviting someone into their family, not just processing a new recruit. Despite my unfortunate turn of events, I still have confidence in the CF and haven’t been turned off serving. My experiences haven’t shown me that the CF is horrible, just one or two areas that could use improvement.

To anyone reading this who works in a recruiting center and works hard; thank you and keep up the good work. Your helpfulness outshines any mistakes that are made.

To anyone joining the CF, I would suggest you learn about the application process, and be on the CFRC’s ass about every step. Obviously don’t be annoying or disrespectful, but don’t just hand in your paperwork and expect the recruiter will magically make everything work. If you are joining Reg force you just need to bug the CFRC, but if you are joining the reserves, make sure you are on the reserve unit’s ass as well.

I will say, with all the problems I have had, it makes me want to eventually work as a recruiter for the unit I am joining.

A couple of things and I know this one is going to sound bad but here it is. If you are going Reserve you have to bear in mind 2 things. 1) unless there is a reserve BMQ starting soon CFRC's will make you a lower priority than RegF priority trades. Right now we have a couple of Reserve BMQ starting so we are processing PRes applicants. 2) We at the CFRC depend on the Reserve units to tell us what is going on. Mainly that means that we need to know if there are any openings. If there are no openings in the unit then just like RegF your not getting in. If you are going officer you need to do an interview with the unit and we need the COs letter stating we can process. 

If you have former service it opens up a whole different can of worms. First we have to get your previous med docs from archives in Ottawa. Rules changed this year we no longer need your personel file. The MPRR (History at a glance) is sufficient to give us your military experience.  What you have to understand is some of the process is completed by outside agencies that we have to wait for. Ideally it should take about 6 - 8 weeks from application to enrolment. Too bad we don't live in an ideal world. If you have no problems with medical, your chosen occupation is open and you have brought in all the source documents 8 weeks is doable but not likely. Why it would take a year I have no idea. If you applied to ROTP and it took a year I can see. Not being accepted is one reason. We only recruit for ROTP to start in September of the following year. If you are already in university and have a distressed trade like Pharmacy it may be an exception.

We do try to give you a "reasonable expectation" of what to expect but that can be blown out of the water for all the reaons above or several more. My advice is don't get discouraged just keep calling every month or so and follow Otis's steps for contacting a recruiter.

To make matters worse, and I realize these are my own problems, the closest CFRC is more then 1.5 hours away and to get there my dad has to lose a day's pay to drive me down. So every time there was a problem when I got to the appointment and something had to be rescheduled, it was that much more stressful. I am a lot more understanding then my father who expected me to rip a strip off everyone in a uniform if something went wrong

I realize how biased this all must sound, as if I am bitter and lashing out, but that is not the case. Part of me is still in disbelief that things could go so far off the tracks, but crap happens. I don’t go around whining or begging for pity, I have just had some bad luck with my processing.

This simply sounds like the life of a Soldier. We gotta get over it man, get used to obstacles...

Back