• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Vehicles

I mean all of that sounds like an infantry platoon, but organic to the recce Sqn. Sounds like a great task for a reserve unit with 8 odd TAPVs to move 4 assault sections.
I think @TangoTwoBravo in that thread said he didn't care about the hat badge and I'm kind of with him on that. What really matters is the doctrine.

The idea of having the assault troop as an ARes role strikes me as a mobilization concept which is something the CAF doesn't believe in any more. It strikes me the current philosophy (I can't call it doctrine) is to equip our deployed forces moderately and our stay at home force just enough to be able to train for deployment. We are neither training or equipping the ARes to mobilize to create a bigger force than the RegF by itself. It's augmentation.

I see the assault troop in a proper brigade or divisional cavalry squadron/regiment to be more highly trained then your Mark 1 No 1* recce crewman. They could or should have skills above and beyond recce in such things as dismounted patrols, ambushes, demolitions, ATGM direct fire support, perhaps indirect fire support through mortars and loitering munitions, mining and demining, rear-link communications etc. Basically I see it as the squadron's Swiss Army Knife that operate concentrated or parcelled out to the recce troops as the situation dictates.

I can see reservist in many cavalry roles but not within the current RegF/ResF model.

🍻

Back