• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interested in only One Choice/Trade

CosmoK

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and i've searched around and can't find the answer i'm looking for.  I am interested in particularly one trade at the moment and that is FIRE FTR in the Air Force.  I am 30 years old and very qualified with lots of certs, vollie experience, degree, life experience, etc. and previous reserves time.  This is only the trade i'm really interested in doing.  I don't plan to get in and then get out and work for a civ. dept. as I used to be full time on a civ. dept. as well.  I want the military lifestyle but I don't have a passion for any other trade at the moment.

My question is this - will this be looked upon positvely (such as why train for something else if my heart is in Fire), or negatively as in you want to be in the CF but only want 1 choice out of a possible 3...are you crazy?  If I don't get hired for this trade for a really long time.....then in the meantime I will look into other trades in the air force.  I guess if I only want the one trade they might accomodate me more to get me into the forces and give someone else their 2nd or 3rd choice?

Any help is appreciated...just not sure how common it is to only pick one trade.  I'm sure it's not very common. 

Great forum!!!

I am holding out for one particular trade, ACS Tec. The only problem is it may be a wile.

Hold out and you should get it.

Good Luck!

When I applied, my 3 choices were as follows:

1. 023 - Infantry Officer
2. 023 - Infantry Officer
3. 023 - Infantry Officer

Whether they looked at it favourably or not, I don't know, but guess what I do for a living today.

If that is the only trade you want, and you are prepared to wait, then put it as all 3 of your choices.

Thanks for the replies!  That's actually what I was hoping to hear.  And I never thought about putting the same trade down for all three choices.  I just put for the 1st choice and left the other 2 blank.  Interesting.

So how does this work.  After I pass my testing (aptitude and fitness), will I automatically receive an interview?  Is the interview structure in that it directly relates to the TRADE or just general fit for military?

So later do they tell you if you "pass" your interview and then do you just wait for the trade to open?

I'm a recruiter, so this should be correct for most CFRC's...some may have different ways of doing business, but this should be an exception and not the rule.

After your interview, you will know if you're not recommended, but you wont know your ''mark''.

If your only choice is fighter fighter, be prepared to wait a while, specially if you have no experience in the ''firefighting field''.  SIP (strategic intake plan) numbers for firefighters are always pretty low.  Plus, as a firefighter, you might get offered a posting on a naval or army unit, not necessarily in the air force.

Thanks Panzerman.  I realize I could be posted to army or navy but that does not concern me.  I LOVE firefighting...I love the training, calls, everything.  I'm willing to wait.  I have experience (not tonnes, but adequate amount), so I hope that helps speed things up.  I'm willing to wait as this is what I want more than anything. 

I'm also hoping with the increase in budget and enrollement that they will increase their numbers for FF.  I think last year they took around 20, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it increases.  I think it should as I have heard that many stations are understaffed and lots of guys get out to join civvie dept's.

ok so I went into the recruiting centre today and the recruiting person told me that with a degree, fire certificates, and experience I stand an -excellent- chance as he said lots come in and want to be firefighters but don't have any qualifications. 

So, i'm just cuirous...if I pass my interview (confident that i will), just how long might I be "waiting" to get the call?  1 year?  2 years??

Yes that is exactly what the CDS means when he wants to increase the number of people in the CF, more fire fighters. What those numbers will be for are boots on the ground, combat arms and combat arms only.

Well from the info i've read around here, there are recruit classes for firefighters occuring throughout the year, and no not all of them are occupational transfer...some do come from outside the military.  Also I have read here that they are short firefighters on bases and many leave after their 3 years to pursue civilian firefighting jobs.

So I think the chances now are better than ever.

Ofcourse, I may be completely out to lunch!  Regardless, i'm prepared to be patient.

Back