• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interested in volunteering my time to Cadets - info?

Kamaro

Inactive
Reaction score
Gday all, sir, ma'am, soldier

I'm currently posted to CFB Petawawa. I recently saw an ad in the local paper about a need for CF volunteers in the cadet program.

I was never in the cadets myself, and I'm interested in the program so I thought I'd post on here and ask a couple questions.

1: What positions do reg force members hold in the cadet structure, when volunteering?
2: Is there any use for a Private?
3: I've done camp before - I used to work at a riding stables and boy scout camp, back before I signed up. I have lifeguard and boat rescue courses on top of the first aid courses provided by the military. In reference to that experience, how does a cadet program differ?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  :army:

Kamaro said:
1: What positions do reg force members hold in the cadet structure, when volunteering?

Likely possibilities would include instructing classes in areas that you have knowledge in, assisting with administration work, working in the supply department, and others.  There are relatively few jobs in a cadet unit that could not be done by any CF member, with some OJT and ongoing supervision and assistance from a CIC officer.  A lot of the work done by staff in a cadet unit is specific to cadet units and training establishments (interpreting the QSP, developing a training plan, mentoring instructors, quality control/standards, etc.) but there's a good deal of "general duties" as well.

2: Is there any use for a Private?

Absolutely.  My first experience with the cadet programme was with no background as a cadet, and only some time as an ordinary seaman.  The staff had no trouble putting me to work.

3: I've done camp before - I used to work at a riding stables and boy scout camp, back before I signed up. I have lifeguard and boat rescue courses on top of the first aid courses provided by the military. In reference to that experience, how does a cadet program differ?

A cadet unit is, as you might expect, more structured than the other youth activities you've worked with.  Having been in scouts I can say that more is expected of cadets, especially as they reach the senior ranks.  (If the unit is especially on the ball the senior cadets will take a very large part in running it, with the staff providing supervision and looking after the administrative aspects.)

Kamaro - I hope you follow through.  My son joined Sea Cadets a few years ago and my wife and I volunteered with his corp. Not only did I not have experience with the cadets (not having been one myself) I'm reg force HARD army - of course I hate boats!!  Well I have to tell you - it has been the most rewarding experience of my life. I enjoy all my time with the corps and I go on all the outings (DND will allow you to sign certain things out in support of the cadets) all the trips... I can't say enough. My wife and I even formed a parent's committee!! Make sure your supervisor knows you are volunteering with the cadets (good brownie points for when you start getting a PER) and you could even look into becoming a CLO (Cadet Liaison Officer) - find out who the Senior CLO is in Pet and send them a request. If you have any questions about what DND will let you do to help support your cadets, PM me or reply to this post. Good luck to you!!

And I sail now!!

Well, the best thing to do, is to contact the local unit in Pet, (possibly more then one) and inform them that you might be interested into giving some time for the organisation and perhaps get and appointment with the CO. 

You could meet with him, and see if the time you are willing to give and his need can be compatible and if you would feel comfortable to work with this organisation. After you have to ask your chain of command the permission to volunteer with the unit. You wont be paid extra to do it and you wont get any special favor. Perhaps your Chain of command will give you some freebie as extra day off or stuff like that, but its not written no were that they have to or they will.

like N. McKay said there allot of stuff do do, and allot of thing you can do to better the organisation, Often, I have seen when I was CIC, NCO often worked on more NCO matters, like drill, discipline and stuff like this. But again it is not written that it has to be like this, Ive also seen some NCO in charge of a platoon due to the lack of officers.

Now that I'm trade qualified, I will possibly contact former CIC colleague of mine and offer them to do some volunteer work.

Speaking as a past CLO.....It's best to talk to your unit through the CoC and find out what their affiliated corps is and who to talk to rather than just going in unannounced.

They will arrange a meeting for you to come out and see the CO of the corps and feel out the cadets as well. See how the corps operates and see if you'll be happy working with them.

Not only will you be making everyone aware of your intentions but it will be noted on PDRs and PERs as well...this is a good thing.

Now if your affil corps is out of the area and you want to help out locally, fill yer boots.

Regards

These are some great tips, I've been thinking of doing the same myself, once I get a little more settled here. Now, my question is, I'm army, in Edmonton, would I need to go to an army cadet corps, or would I be permitted to return to my roots and go to and air cadet squadron?

Chapeski,

If you read my post above, you'll notice that I volunteer with a SEA corps. I'm hard Army. Oh, and by the way - I'm on an air base!! For those who aren't sure, you do not need permission from your CoC to volunteer your free time with the cadets. Nor does many "reg force" units have an "affiliated corp". Just go to your local MFRC and find the name of the CO of the corps / sqn closest to you and call. Let him or her know who you are, what qualifications you have that will benefit them (they may just need to even up the male / officer ratio) and give them contact info. Remember - your time is your time - unless it's illegal, of course.

To mysteriousmind:

Perhaps your Chain of command will give you some freebie as extra day off or stuff like that, but its not written no were that they have to or they will.

Actually, in CFAO 16-1- http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/016-01_e.asp Para 108 - Special Leave - Community Affairs.

Thanks BinRat, it was the "affiliated corps" bit that made me ask. I'll be sure to stop in to get the number sometime soon and check things out.

BinRat55 said:
Nor does many "reg force" units have an "affiliated corp".

Just a bit of background...I've been working with both the RCACC and the Cadet League for over 20 years. Mind you it's been off and on for the past couple years due to deployments.      ;)

Every Army Reg Force Regiment/ Battalion has one, as do many reserve units. Even the Schools in Gagetown have affiliated corps.

Many in their own units don't know of them, but they exist, and always need people to help out.

I'm actually trying to think of a unit that I know now that doesn't have one....hell there are corps out there that still carry their deactivated affiliated unit's name.

As for Air or Navy cadets I'm in the dark.

You are correct though, no permission is required to volunteer.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
You are correct though, no permission is required to volunteer.
Whoa!
Permission is required and there is a process to serve as a volunteer in the cadet organization whether one is a RegF member or PRes.  PRes members must have the concurrence of their CO. 

All persons supporting the cadets must sign an agreement with the RCSU and submit to vulnerable sector screening (an additional criminal record check).   Screening civilian volunteers is the responsibility of the Leagues and the League will issue an ID card that one must carry.

All CF members will be screened by the CF on receipt of the VSS report from the civilian police.  The CO of the cadet corps will provide the forms and details of the requirement. 

No one who is not properly vetted will have any direct contact with cadets.  You can't just walk in the door. 

See CATO 23-04 which has been updated this month as change 6/08 effective 13 Aug 08. It will be posted to the cadets.ca website shortly. 

gwp said:
Whoa!
Permission is required and there is a process to serve as a volunteer in the cadet organization whether one is a RegF member or PRes.  PRes members must have the concurrence of their CO. 

All persons supporting the cadets must sign an agreement with the RCSU and submit to vulnerable sector screening (an additional criminal record check).   Screening civilian volunteers is the responsibility of the Leagues and the League will issue an ID card that one must carry.

All CF members will be screened by the CF on receipt of the VSS report from the civilian police.  The CO of the cadet corps will provide the forms and details of the requirement. 

No one who is not properly vetted will have any direct contact with cadets.  You can't just walk in the door. 

See CATO 23-04 which has been updated this month.

You must have misunderstood. I said "You don't need permission from your own CoC to volunteer your own time..." You are very correct about the screening - you can't just walk in the door and blammo - you are volunteering with a group of youths...

All that said though,
All CF members will be screened by the CF on receipt of the VSS report from the civilian police.
makes no sense to me. I'm the USS in my unit and I do screenings on a weekly basis. I'm also the Senior CLO's 2 I/C for the past 2 years and have not encountered this. I volunteer with approx. 14 cadet corps, teach first aid to many of them.

BinRat55 said:
You must have misunderstood. I said "You don't need permission from your own CoC to volunteer your own time..." You are very correct about the screening - you can't just walk in the door and blammo - you are volunteering with a group of youths... All that said though,  makes no sense to me. I'm the USS in my unit and I do screenings on a weekly basis. I'm also the Senior CLO's 2 I/C for the past 2 years and have not encountered this. I volunteer with approx. 14 cadet corps, teach first aid to many of them.
Better get the form and make a visit to your local PD.
GENERAL
1. This annex will specify the level of screening required for adults working in the CCO. Adults working with cadets come from a number of sources. The following paragraphs identify those sources and the level of screening required depending on the adult’s duties and level of responsibility.

CADET INSTRUCTORS CADRE (CIC)

2. All members of the CIC, regardless of where they serve, shall complete the VSS screening process.

CADET CORPS & SQUADRONS

3. All adults working with a Corps / Squadron, regardless of how often they attend, shall complete the PRC/VSS screening process.

CADET SUMMER TRAINING CENTRES (CSTC)

4. In addition to members of the CIC, all adults working in a position where they have direct contact with, or will be supervising cadets, shall complete the screening process.

BinRat55 said:
You must have misunderstood. I said "You don't need permission from your own CoC to volunteer your own time..." You are very correct about the screening - you can't just walk in the door and blammo - you are volunteering with a group of youths...

I concur. I meant to say you don't need permission from your immediate supervisor.

All that said though,  makes no sense to me. I'm the USS in my unit and I do screenings on a weekly basis. I'm also the Senior CLO's 2 I/C for the past 2 years and have not encountered this. I volunteer with approx. 14 cadet corps, teach first aid to many of them.

Again, your Regiment's CO can vouch for you and, if the gaining cadet corps allows it, the screening can (and has been many times in my experience) be waved. I also got that tidbit from the ACO for LFCA a couple years ago and also in LFAA as well.

Mind you I've never heard of anyone in the Regs or Reserves being mandated to go and get a screening. Unless things have changed in a year.

Then again, if you have nothing to hide....

Regards

Recce By Death said:
I concur. I meant to say you don't need permission from your immediate supervisor.

Again, your Regiment's CO can vouch for you and, if the gaining cadet corps allows it, the screening can (and has been many times in my experience) be waved. I also got that tidbit from the ACO for LFCA a couple years ago and also in LFAA as well.

Mind you I've never heard of anyone in the Regs or Reserves being mandated to go and get a screening. Unless things have changed in a year.

The requirement for a VSS (Vulnerable Sector Screening, more detailed than a police records check) is relatively new -- maybe a little more than a year old.  I'd be surprised if they were quick to waive that; release action was started with the few CIC officers who didn't have it done by the deadline.  Due diligence and protection from liability seem to be the watchwords these days.

Recce By Death said:
I concur. I meant to say you don't need permission from your immediate supervisor. Again, your Regiment's CO can vouch for you and, if the gaining cadet corps allows it, the screening can (and has been many times in my experience) be waved. I also got that tidbit from the ACO for LFCA a couple years ago and also in LFAA as well. Mind you I've never heard of anyone in the Regs or Reserves being mandated to go and get a screening. Unless things have changed in a year.
They have changed.  The policy is as posted above.  All adults, there will be no waivers.  The stakes are too high. VSS is a very specific screening and is not covered by any other screening process.  Parents and other civilians are required to have their screening done by the League and they are issued a League ID card.  

gwp said:
They have changed.  The policy is as posted above.  All adults, there will be no waivers.  The stakes are too high. VSS is a very specific screening and is not covered by any other screening process.  Parents and other civilians are required to have their screening done by the League and they are issued a League ID card.  

Source? I have a relativley new troop that wants to get involved and will point him in the right direction.

I'd rather him have all the information and be ready with paperwork in hand so he can start immediately when the training years starts up again.

I'll also be informing the CLO for our Regiment as well to this relatively new directive when I return to work. She hasn't indicated to me of any changes when I inquired last May, perhaps an oversight.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Source? I have a relativley new troop that wants to get involved and will point him in the right direction.
VOL 2 - CH/MOD 6/08  - CATO/OAIC 23-04 (CANADIAN CADET ORGANIZATIONS ADULT SCREENING POLICY / POLITIQUE D'EXAMEN PRÉALABLE DES ADULTES QUI TRAVAILLENT AU SEIN DES ORGANISATIONS DES CADETS DU CANADA

Once again, I feel the need to clarify => a VSS has absolutely nothing to do with your chain of command. I had a police check done two years ago and again last year. The CO of the corp would not let me work with the kids until I had it done. Good on her - my own son is part of the corp and I wouldn't have it any other way. BUT I DID NOT NEED MY COC's PERMISSION TO DO IT!!!

Sheesh.  ::)

BinRat55 said:
BUT I DID NOT NEED MY COC's PERMISSION TO DO IT!!!

Sheesh.  ::)
You may be right, or wrong.  It would depend on your unit.  It is best to advise your chain of command of your intentions.  Simply put, CYA.  Unlike Scouts, Guides, hockey, or any other youth organization, Cadets has a DND/CF side to it.  Nothing may be written in black and white, but it never hurts to ask.

In a roundabout way, that happens anyway. I really don't see the need to "CYA" for doing something good like volunteer your free time to help a youth group - especially one with ties to DND, but those who want it noted for PER purposes will inform their immediate supervisor. As well, any CO who is worth their salt will obtain the individual's supervisor's contact info and send appreciations on behalf of that individual. The word "permission" is what i'm hung up on...

Back