• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview Guide

ublmeister

Inactive
Reaction score
I just had my interview today (25/02/13) and I noticed before hand that there was no real thread on how to prepare for it.

First a bit about me, I'm 17, in grade 12, graduating this year, and hopefully attending RMCC next year with the hope of graduating with a BA in Military and Strategic Studies as an Infantry Officer.

I realize that the amount I can disclose about the actual interview is very limited, legally, and if anyone thinks I may be crossing the line, drop me a message.

So, first off, the biggest piece of advice I can give is know why you're doing this. Make sure you have a very well formulated reason for joining the forces, and for requesting the trades that you have requested. Also make sure that you have similar answers for your second and third choices. Make sure you believe these answers, and that they are your real reasons, if they are, the interviewer will be able to read that passion.

Be informed about what is expected of you in your trade, and before it in training, seems trivial, but it shows that you are serious enough to do the research.

Be prepared to talk about your work and volunteer experience, especially the latter. This is pretty standard with most job interviews, but still bears mentioning, as it's incredibly important. Don't be worried if you have little work experience (I have next to none), but make sure you have volunteer experience to make up for it. If you don't have either, get involved! There are always volunteer opportunities, even leadership roles if you look for them. Find something you love and are challenged by, be it at a community house, a food bank, a soup kitchen, or a sports team, and that passion will be apparent.

Try to develop a 'central theme' to your interview. If you're still in school, think of it as an essay, with each question as a supporting paragraph. Answer each question, and try to tie it back to your reason for enlisting, it will help serve as further evidence that you mean what you say, and that you're prepared.

Be honest, be relaxed, and be cordial. Make sure the interviewer likes you and that they know you are being completely honest. If this is really what you want to do with your life, they will be able to tell, and they will not be mad at you if some of your sections aren't up to snuff, as long as you're honest as to why.

I hope this helps, if you have anything else that you feel I've missed, I will do my best to add it, and if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Edit : I forgot to include this incredibly useful pdf put together by the 11th RCA http://www.11rca.ca/web_pdf/prep.pdf

Hey!
Thanks for the advice and tips. I'll make sure to use them when I have my interview! Also, good luck in making it into the RMCC. Would you mind if I PM or some how add you so I can kind of see your progress and ask some questions towards the RMCC?

Thanks,
Brian

brianl1734 said:
Hey!
Thanks for the advice and tips. I'll make sure to use them when I have my interview! Also, good luck in making it into the RMCC. Would you mind if I PM or some how add you so I can kind of see your progress and ask some questions towards the RMCC?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
I'm moving well along towards CMR/RMCC, feel free to send me a message if you have any questions

Yours,
Colin

Thanks. I actually have quite a few questions... I just sent them to you.

Thanks,
Brian

Back