• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Latest tease the soldier kit

silentbutdeadly said:
That blanket has no thermal in it whats so freakin ever!

Thats disapointing to hear. I'm not too concerned mind you, it does a good job in the back of the aircraft but i was hoping the CF had got it right this time.

cdnaviator said:
Thats disapointing to hear. I'm not too concerned mind you, it does a good job in the back of the aircraft but i was hoping the CF had got it right this time.

It's meant as a SB liner/ranger blanket. It does make a snuggly warm ranger blanket but as a sleeping bag liner...nyet.

The Librarian said:
It's meant as a SB liner/ranger blanket. It does make a snuggly warm ranger blanket but as a sleeping bag liner...nyet.

Does it come in AR ?

Interesting tidbit there Vern a buddy of mine exchanged is ranger blanket and got the thermal one and still keeped his liner (but read this was about 2 yrs ago).

cdnaviator said:

I thought you guys used stolen bedding from the Airport Hilton? ;D

Nfld Sapper said:
Interesting tidbit there Vern a buddy of mine exchanged is ranger blanket and got the thermal one and still keeped his liner (but read this was about 2 yrs ago).

Well if he was slated for tour that's quite likely. And some places were not aware that it was the replacement for the SB liner when it was first issued and mistakes were made. A message was cut re-iterating that the SB liner had to be turned in, along with the ranger blanket, to be issued the TB though so that shouldn't be happening any more.

In our case, with TF1-07 ramping up there really was no point in making 2RCR guys turn in their SB liners to receive it only to have to have them return to clothing for another kitting to get it back for the tour.

Some lucked out and got theirs issued after the official word for mounting came down the line. Others who received theirs before the TF frag was out, ended up coming back.

That sucks. They should just let everyone retain their SB liner. It's much more comfortable to sleep with in the bag anyway.

Nah this was way before TF1-07 he had a call out with the bird gunners.

In the Reserves right now, how likely am I to see kneepads from the CTS soon? Or is it a matter of "Kneepads are currently being contracted" (i.e. 2-3 years)

Your not. It's very advisable to go and purchase your own pair, good knee padsl ike Alta's or Hatch's will run you about 30 bucks.

R031button said:
Your not. It's very advisable to go and purchase your own pair, good knee padsl ike Alta's or Hatch's will run you about 30 bucks.

Alright, thanks. Lets hope my unit allows...or better yet, lets hope SQ and BIQ course allows it! (not bloody likely eh? haha)

PAT-Platoon said:
In the Reserves right now, how likely am I to see kneepads from the CTS soon? Or is it a matter of "Kneepads are currently being contracted" (i.e. 2-3 years)

Kneepads are not a clothing stores item. The CTS kneepads were issued out to Unit QMs on the pri basis that was set up by CTS. I have no idea which units were deemed priority or when issues to those QMs occured. I can speak for Gagetown where the kneepads have been received at some Units as long as 3 years ago.

If you want to PM me your Unit UIC then I can pull it up on the system to see what info is avail. Without that UIC I can't really tell you much.

PAT-Platoon said:
Alright, thanks. Lets hope my unit allows...or better yet, lets hope SQ and BIQ course allows it! (not bloody likely eh? haha)

Yeah you won't be allowed to use that on those courses unless every member of the course has it issued.

Well, putting aside the Ranger/Thermal/whatever you want to call it blanket and the knee pad aside, I have a question for the good supply folks LCMM and other knowledgeable staff here (always told to be nice to support folks...).

Is there a common sense explanation about scale of issues for TacHel?  I mean, we have field gear, probably spend more time in the field than some crossed-swords people and yet, everytime I go to supply to ask for something to make my life easier in the field, I get told "not for aircrew".  Now, after all the ah-ah jokes about aircrew and the field (I have heard them all, go ahead), I would appreciate if someone can shed some light on the matter.  I mean, I look at the CTS website and they have "family of gloves"... wow... that would be great!!!  I have one pair of flying gloves that I cannot get wet or dirty otherwise someone freaks out if I fly with them and 1 pair of arctic mitts for my survival kit or when it is really cold... oh, and dress gloves for those 1-2/yr parades (well, make it rememberance day parade and that is about it...).

My favorite is being a liaison officer in the field... how can you spot us in the crowd???  we are the ones with the webbing amongst all the tacvest-clad people, no-gloves (flying gloves left in the flying-kit MLVW), aircrew turtle-neck under our cadpat shirt (no fleece issued!!), a pair of 1950's model boots 'cause this is all we can get AND NICE FREAK** BLUE/GREEN SLIP-ONS because the Airforce thought it was a great idea  :brickwall:

In all fairness, as a chopper driver, we are not too bad as we can even start the 2 heaters on top to stay warm and dry, but I can think of our techs out there fixing machines in the wet/cold/windy/s*** weather out there.  I am wondering why we could not have a scale of issue similar to a CS or CSS trade unit???  Their guys fix trucks in the field, or guys fix choppers in the field...

All right, rant off...  any constructive comments would be appreciated...

Laps said:
In all fairness, as a chopper driver, we are not too bad as we can even start the 2 heaters on top to stay warm and dry, but I can think of our techs out there fixing machines in the wet/cold/windy/s*** weather out there.  I am wondering why we could not have a scale of issue similar to a CS or CSS trade unit???  Their guys fix trucks in the field, or guys fix choppers in the field...

All right, rant off...  any constructive comments would be appreciated...

That makes too much sense. All I want is the flashy air force rain jacket... shall we make a trade? j/k..

Maybe Vern err... TheLibrarian can shed some light on the matter.

TN2IC said:
All I want is the flashy air force rain jacket... shall we make a trade? j/k..

Interesting how people bash the other elements until someone might have something they want....  (btw, what are you offering??  ;)  j/k)

Laps said:
Well, putting aside the Ranger/Thermal/whatever you want to call it blanket and the knee pad aside, I have a question for the good supply folks LCMM and other knowledgeable staff here (always told to be nice to support folks...).

Is there a common sense explanation about scale of issues for TacHel?  ....

Laps. Absolutely agree with you on this post. It does make sense for Tac Hel pers to have the Army kit that they require as they do support land ops. I also know that I've responded to probably the very same question as yours in another thread...discussing gloves IIRC. What you say absolutely makes sense.

Here's the situation:
Army Kit: Belongs to the Army and the scale of entitlement applies to "personnel employed in LFC positions directly supporting land ops, regardless of environment."

Tac Hel personnel: Are serving in Air Force posns not LFC positions. Yes, they directly support Land Ops, but they are 'owned' by the AF and thus it is the Air Force scale that comes into force. I have addressed the issue before trying to get the Field kit (gloves etc) for the Tac Hel pers at my last Base and a whole bunch of factors came into play. The big issue with the AF CoC (who must authorize their Tac Hel pers to wear Army kit) was flight safety, anti-static, fire-retardency etc etc. Gloves or whatever piece of kit would have to be put through the anti-static testing, trials & tribulations etc. If the AF did this and then auth the kit for issue to Tac Hel pers and amended their scale of entitlement appropriately, we at clothing could then issue.

Essentially what it all comes down to is 'ownership' of the pers serving in Tac Hels...and flight safety. The AF side of the house needs to test it, authorize it for wear on their scales, and then we can issue it.

In the Good Old Days (how I miss the Soviet Union) we got the same scale of issue.

This testing thing is nuts at times, and very inconsistent.

I still have my good old black combat gloves with the woolly liners.

As for the tac vest vs webbing thing, we should have an aircrew tac vest as switching from webbing/tac vest to survival vest and back and forth has always been stupid and annoying PLUS the first Sh*thook guy shot down in Afghanistan isn't going to have much use for a fishing kit and jelly candies.

um... maybe it's just me, but what about all the army personnel that routinely transit on our TacHel and other aircrafts? Their clothing aren't static, blah blah blah blah blah proof... what bout them?

Back