• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Annual (time off, after hours, ect...) [Merged]

Another thing to consider is if you don't find out - and it turns out your buddies got buckshee days they weren't entitled to - and they do a leave audit when they leave the forces (after an IE)  - then they may find that those "buckshee" days cost a lot in terms of pension payout.
:warstory: I had an audit done when I arrived at a posting, and it turns out I wasn't entitled to 2 days I was given. Bye bye accrued leave, but at least I won't get clawed back on my pension.
Best you find out and confirm YOUR leave entitlement NOW so you don't get bitten in the posterior LATER. 8)

Forgot to mention - leave is calculated from the first COMPLETE month of service.

hi everybody, does anybody know anything about how Leave of Absence works?  i am considering it but i don't  know anything about it, or if it even exists...

thanks
bstevens
2RCR

If you mean Leave without pay, from my vague and possibly incorrect recollection, it must be for reasons in the interest of the CF and it must go to NDHQ for approval for over 30 days with your CO's recommendation.

bstevens said:
hi everybody, does anybody know anything about how Leave of Absence works?  i am considering it but i don't  know anything about it, or if it even exists...

thanks
bstevens
2RCR

Start here:

CFAO 16-1 -- LEAVE
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/016-01_e.asp

SECTION 6 -- LEAVE WITHOUT PAY AND ALLOWANCES (LWOP)

Just wondering how leave after a lengthy course is determined. 

Example - 6 Month course, you come back and you get a couple days off.

6 month deployment, you come back and get almost a month off.

I am not comparing the stresses of being away on deployment to those of sitting in some accomodations block, but time away from family is time away.  I think that if you are gone on a 6 month course you should be entitled to two days a month off or something like that. 

Yeah because the 25  annual days of leave per year are just not enough as it is. I wonder how many people in the Forces know how good they really have it compared to civilians when it comes to time off from work and other benefits. You are right, comparing a deployment to a course is apples and oranges. Your unit may well give you some days off for free but the rest should be annual leave.

If you dig into the CFAO's there is an amendment there that allows an application for leave after long courses.  I found it on the CANFOGENS 2 yrs ago now.  If you look it is there. Made for long courses and such, granted at the CO's discretion though and normally you will be asked to take annual first. But you never know, try it.

X-army-cst said:
If you dig into the CFAO's there is an amendment there that allows an application for leave after long courses.  I found it on the CANFOGENS 2 yrs ago now.  If you look it is there. Made for long courses and such, granted at the CO's discretion though and normally you will be asked to take annual first. But you never know, try it.
You'll find a vague ref in CANFORGEN's circa 01 or 02 IIRC about long career courses, and yes it is left to the CO's discretion.

If you are going on a career course you should get 2 days on each end(not always and not an entitlement mind you).  You can request 2 short.  If you have been gone from your unit for six months, you will most likely be required to burn off some annual.  That being said, how many career courses are that long without a break in there somewhere?  On my 6A we had a 6 day break over Easter with LTA and that was less than 3 months.  On long exercises we usually get a few days off at the end but it is not an entitlement.  I think you will find most of us get about 6 weeks of leave a year all totaled.

There is now a Leave Manual out.  The only link I have so far is:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/lea-con/doc/cflpm-mprcfc-eng.pdf

This might be news to some, not news to some.  The CF Leave Policy Manual is now avail online, current as of 15 Dec 08.  It supersedes a ton of references, 85 pages of light reading for those so inclined.

Internet Link

So... here is a question for you all regarding the new manual.

What leave is a member entitled to if they are required to work for a period of 2-3 weeks outside their normal geographical area without the ability to commute home during that period?  I find no mention of TD in this new manual however; in this case the message authorizing the trip doesn't state either TD or Attach Posted.

Does the new definition of attached posting in this manual now encompass the legacy term of TD as long as you are away from your geographical area?

Here is the definition of Attach Posting in the Leave Policy Manual:

Attached Posting means the temporary assignment of a CF member to a component, subcomponent, formation, base, unit or element, other than that in which that person is ordinarily employed and in which that person continues to fill a position.

Comments?

In chapter 5 of the leave manual, table 2 may apply:

IF serving away from home on duty for operations and training exercises within Canada for 14 to 30 days THEN the following amount of Special Leave (Relocation) may be granted by the CO: 1 day pre-deployment granted prior to departure and 2 days post-deployment granted immediately upon return

Note the many qualifiers - the CO may (not must) grant the leave, and you must be away from home for operations and training exercises.

See page 46/84 of the manual to place it all in context.

dapaterson said:
In chapter 5 of the leave manual, table 2 may apply:

IF serving away from home on duty for operations and training exercises within Canada for 14 to 30 days THEN the following amount of Special Leave (Relocation) may be granted by the CO: 1 day pre-deployment granted prior to departure and 2 days post-deployment granted immediately upon return

Note the many qualifiers - the CO may (not must) grant the leave, and you must be away from home for operations and training exercises.

See page 46/84 of the manual to place it all in context.

Exactly!!  That argument was pushed up through the CoC and not supported... All that was given to the member was one day short on either end for compensation for flying out on a Sunday and back on a Saturday. I suspect that the Officer Corps has not even looked at this document as it died at their level.

Navalsnipr said:
Exactly!!  That argument was pushed up through the CoC and not supported... All that was given to the member was one day short on either end for compensation for flying out on a Sunday and back on a Saturday. I suspect that the Officer Corps has not even looked at this document as it died at their level.

1:  You have merely stated that the member was on TD for 2-3 weeks - that does not mean he is on operation or training exercise.

2.  Perhaps the Officer Corps did read the document and noted that it said MAY be granted and decided 3 weeks TD was not good enough for the special.

Not too bad though - he did get 2 out of 3.

CountDC said:
1:  You have merely stated that the member was on TD for 2-3 weeks - that does not mean he is on operation or training exercise.

2.  Perhaps the Officer Corps did read the document and noted that it said MAY be granted and decided 3 weeks TD was not good enough for the special.

Not too bad though - he did get 2 out of 3.

So, I guess the problem lies with how the new manual is written. What is the difference between going to the other side of the counrty for Training, Operational Reasons or sitting on a training board. If you are not sleeping in your own bed at the end of the day, it should not matter.

If person A goes to Ottawa for 20 days on course, person B goes to Ottawa for 20 days to work for operational reasons and person C goes to Ottawa for 20 days to attend NDHQ meetings. All three members are from a base in another province. Shouldn't all three individuals should be compensated the same?

On another note (same topic though) I attempted to sell my accumulated leave as per the new leave manual (Payment in Leiu of Accumulated Leave) and I was told that I couldn't as per the QR&O ref. I said please look again. They said no - the QR&O says.....

My leave (10 days) was accumulated in 1999 / 2000. You be the judge. They completely denied the Manual ref and said the QR&O ref was boss basically.

Navalsnipr said:
So, I guess the problem lies with how the new manual is written. What is the difference between going to the other side of the counrty for Training, Operational Reasons or sitting on a training board. If you are not sleeping in your own bed at the end of the day, it should not matter.

If person A goes to Ottawa for 20 days on course, person B goes to Ottawa for 20 days to work for operational reasons and person C goes to Ottawa for 20 days to attend NDHQ meetings. All three members are from a base in another province. Shouldn't all three individuals should be compensated the same?

Just to unclarify - it says "for operations" not "operational reasons" - another unclear statement.  I take it to mean the member is on an operation.  Operational reasons on the other hand could be the member is here for dag, pre-departure briefings, meeting with operational clerks for pay/admin processing.

The only reason I could think of for the difference is that maybe they were thinking someone on operation or training exercise would not have all the comforts of hard quarters enjoyed by those attending meetings.

Back