• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living quarters

Infantryman2b

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I applied to infantry about 7 months ago and finally received an email to bring in my references and to start testing. In the recruiting videos I watched about living conditions once finished initial training, it says that you choose if you want to live on or off base. But I also have read that this is for married men only, or soldiers of certain rank. Reason I ask is I'm in a serious 4 year relationship. Shes all for this decision and backs me 100%, its just the thought of only seeing each other rarely and not being able to live together for 3 years. I no I can be away for months at a time thats not the issue, I just want to know that once I'm based I can move her out to where I am and live together as any couple would. So i guess my first question as a rookie here is whats the policy on where I can live straight out of infantry school.

Yes, after your iniial traing ( I am assuming your going reg force) you can live off base. The issue you talking about is the PMQ's which is ussually held for married couples, in which your case you would be considered common law so you could apply for one. If you don't get a PMQ, you could rent a civi apt. or buy a house. And this is also if you are posted to a specific area for at least a year. If your training is a couple of months here and there at a different location then where your posted then you will have to be alone for that period of time. Hope this helps.

Just wanna clarify Peterpan, so I can live off base after I'm posted, but when I'm training I have to spend that period of time alone? Or are your saying after training and being posted for a year I can.

Thanks

During training, your family moving is based on how long the course is and the CoC's decision. Infantry training is fairly short, and thus your girlfriend won't be able to move with you. Assuming you've been living together long enough to qualify as common law, once you're posted you will be able to move her to be with you. You can apply for a PMQ as mentioned previously, or get an apartment or whatever. You need to go through the official channels to get common law recognized, but it's mainly just paperwork and documents, which you'll be able to sort out with the clerks later on. If you don't qualify, however, you would have to move her at your own expense, and may not qualify for a PMQ, depending on availability and demand at your base.

Yeah my understanding is I would have to live off base at my own expense to live with her for now untill we marry and can get PMQ. I just want to make sure I am able to live off base with her after intial training. Thanks for your help.

As far as I know, there's no restrictions on living off base once you're qualified and posted, as long a you're capable of meeting timings and being available should a short-notice call go out. I think more than anything, you just need to prove you have a place to live, I can't imagine the army wants a bunch of homeless soldiers LOL

Lmao, thanks to the both of you for the help, I think I have till tomorrow to bring in my references and stuff so ill be doing that today or then.

Thanks

Back