• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for some fitness advice before applying

RWG1995

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello. As I said in the subject line I'm looking for some fitness advice before I apply. A little bit of information about myself I'm a seventeen year old male and for the past 3 years I've been set on joining the Canadian Forces as an infantry soldier. However call it the stupidity of youth but I've wasted these last 3 years in terms of preparing myself physically to meet the necessary requirements. I realized I had wasted all this time and so for the last 19weeks I've been eating right and going from running on the treadmill to using a workout DVD to so far lose about 50pounds and increase my cardio levels. However at this point I feel as if ive plateaued, I'm spending more time researching various workout methods and equipment than i am actually working out. I'm very nervous about the physical test and am at this point looking for some advice on a possible direction to take as far as a exercise routine to prepare myself to not only pass the test but excel at it. I haven't given up on my goal to join the forces don't get me wrong, I fully intend to do everything I need to in order to reach my goal, I'm just looking for some help and advice from someone who has been there and knows what needs to be done.

I am no fitness expert. There that's out of the way. Have you watched the videos of the new fitness standards, the old PT test requirements (that I think are still in place), possibly even the PARE? I was looking for new ideas and I watched the videos of the exercises the military expects you to be able to perform and I incorporated those motions into my workouts. Nothing crazy but at least you will know if you can perform some of the tasks required by the CF?

Look through the personal fitness thread as well, there are lots of good work out suggestions on there.

Treadmill running is great, but make sure you take time to bike, swim, and run outside as well.  Running outside is subtely different than running on a threadmill. This is from first-hand experience of running on treadmills all winter and running outside every summer.
Now, the single best piece of advice I got from anyone was this: drop and push 'em out, anywhere, anytime.  Just drop, and push Virginia to Hell. Anytime you even think of doing push-ups, do some. You'll be surprised how fast you can increase you rep count.
Dont neglect your core strength either.  You can do sit-ups and push-ups virtually ANYWHERE. You have no excuse not to be fit to standard... especially if you want to join combat arms.
Start waking up at 5am to have time to workout before going to work/school/whatever you're doing.
This is from my experience. I was really pathetically out of shape when I was 16-17, and in about 5 years I've managed to get myself to a point where I can score enough points to meet JTF2 assaulter physical fitness standard. It's all in your mind; snap out of your attitude and get into an aggressive warrior-like mindset.  Make quantifiable goals, and tear them to shreds! The feeling of accomplishment when you shatter a goal is quite frankly incredible!
Stay focused and soldier on my friend!

-Noctis  :cdn:

Edit: Don't forget, it takes time to reach goals.  Plateaus are normal, just do different exercises. Like I mentionned, you can take up biking or swimming for cardio for awhile.  If you plateau on push-ups, do inclined push-ups (put your feet on a chair), you'll work different muscles.  There is always more than one way to train a specific muscle, you can overcome plateaus by simply changing which exercise you're doing, or how you're doing it.  And, most importantly, STICK TO IT!  Stay focused, and keep your mind on target! Never give up, it takes time, but the standard is nothing exceptional and you'll be able to achieve it with enough dedication.

Wow thanks for the great replies! Ill definitely check out those videos and just hearing the feedback from you two has really motivated me! Just looking around my office now I see the potential to be pushing Virginia to hell anytime of day hah :p thanks for the great replies! It's helped a ton!

Having gone through infantry training somewhat recently. You'll only do basic exercises. You don't need a super high level of fitness. Though I would recommend it.

Running should be the base of your fitness. Cross train to prevent injury. On my course we never did a run further than 16km. We ran most mornings usually no further 6 km. often at night we would do burpees, push ups, plank, scissor kicks for 30 min.

Fitness for injury prevention will be a big one so on top of running push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc. I would suggest building up some underlying strength with deadlift, squat, shoulder press, bench press. If your an inexperienced lifter get some help with technique before you go out and perform these lifts. If you have time learn some more explosive lifts.

You will also carry a lot more weight than you did in basic as well as further and faster. So having that underlying strength will help. As well as a solid core. Strong hip flexors will prevent a lot of injuries when it comes to rucking. Don't worry about practicing rucks right now though. They build you up.

Thank you for the advice! I was wondering whether or not i should look into doing some dead lifts or bench presses and now i believe i have my answer and im definitely going to get running here too so thanks again for the great advice!

Just have an overall good level of fitness. The fitter you are, the more you are able to endure without drawing on your mental reserves. You will need to draw on your mental reserves on many occasions, so do not waste those reserves having to struggle through basic physical activities. You are joining the CF, not the Navy SEALS.

Good luck

A big part of any fitness regime is also nutrition. There's a great thread on nutrition in these forums, I suggest you go look for it. Personally, I never bought into the whole protein supplements thing, we already consume way more proteins than is necessary in our normal diet. What we need to eat more of is fresh fruits and vegetables. If you eat healthy you'll find out you'll have an increased level of energy and you'll shed fat faster, plus you'll gain more muscle mass, and thus more strength.

What I do is after I work out, I drink a chocolate milk (Or a normal glass of milk, the protein intake is pretty much the same.) Another great post work out snack is a peanut butter sandwhich. But seriously, look at that thread.

I have to agree with Chelomo, although I am not a current member of the Canadian Forces (In the recruiting process) there are many ways to keep your nutrition up. No matter how good your workout plan may be if your nutrition is absolute crap it will not make any difference or very little for that matter.

I always have a glass of milk and a peanut butter sandwich after a workout. Tastes great and full of good nutrients.

I believe Chelomo is referring to ParaCowboy's thread on Nutrition. It is absolutely a goldmine of information to use. If not pardon me for jumping the gun.

Here is the link if you are having trouble finding it: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/48433.0.html?PHPSESSID=6c42l2fn9us9r5s8ut4cjq9460

Yes that's the thread I was referring to, I was thinking of putting to use his own searching ability :p But yeah,  Paracowboy's thread is great and contains a lot of awesome advice.

Back