• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lots of smart people on this board

I think on the whole, people tend to have to learn to relax, and not let the little things in life bother them  :dontpanic:

Coming from me, that's fairly hypocritical, as I am fairly anal about certain things, but a slam about being gentlemanly via upbringing rather than by being presented a scroll is pretty tame, and doesn't merit a huff. As mentioned, things like that have been said since Centurion was a rank, not a tank (another classic line.....). NCO's (NCM is sooooo lame.... probably one of the biggest reason's non-officers (to be more specific) have started to lose their sense of identity...... I hate hearing "Junior (or senior) NCM" to describe a person.... a Cpl with 20 years in rank could be called a senior NCM, but not a Sr NCO, and a Sgt with only 5 years in could be called a junior NCM, but not a Jr NCO..... it's all about the semantics, people!!!!) have always, and always will, make fun of officers, either good naturedly, or even with malice. Nothing will stop it, not even holding your breath until your face turns blue.

A good officer will accept the ribbing (as long as it is good natured and within the right forum) as part of the way things are, and if they chose to make a stink of it, so much the better: they are then open season for all manner of ridicule and practical jokes. It's like telling somebody that you don't like a certain nickname: that seals the deal, and makes the nickname permanent. Juvenile, yes.

Of course, belittling an officer, or making fun of them in public, while fun, is not professional, and shouldn't be done in front of the troops. But I have seen groups of Sr NCO's and officers joking around with each other (in confined quarters, without soldiers there) and I think that it shows both groups, that at the end of the day, that they are both human. A piece of paper (or some stripes) doesn't make one better or smarter, it just shows knowledge and/or experience and training. Humans need little badges and scraps of paper to feel good about themselves.....

As for the original comment, I suspect that it was meant as a compliment, but turned into a backhanded compliment ("You don't sweat much for a fat-f*ck...."). When I was younger (and had more time on my hands), I decided to do some good ol' book readin', and decided to tackle Tolstoy's War and Peace while I was a loader on a tank during some course or another here in Gagetown. The course officer was looking for me, and when informed that I was in my tank reading War and Peace, he laughed. Sure enough, he found me reading said novel, and stammered out something like "They said you were reading that, but I thought they were kidding.....". I of course launched into him with "Why, because I'm a Corporal?!?!? I'm too stupid to read a book that doesn't have pictures, or begin with 'Dear Penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me.....'?!?!?!?". He sputtered "No, of course not......". I gave him the gears for a while, as it bugged me somewhat, but I should have been used to that type of mentality, as it is cultural and institutionalized into us. My buddy back home a bunch of years ago said "You're too smart to be in the Army", which is kind of true, but yet untrue, because if I was smart I wouldn't be [in the Army], but can't be true, because I am  ;D

I have met a lot of very smart NCO's, some with degree's, some with partial degree's, some just street smart, or self taught. I have also met some very smart officers, in military matters, book smart, common sense, the works. But, I have also met pompous, stunned-ass officers, who can barely function, and the only thing going for them is a few framed pieces of paper (commisioning scroll, degree) and some bars on their slip-ons, and usually a hatred for the "men", probably because of our ability to see through their pathetic attempts at "leadership" or our realization that a few years in the halls of an institute of higher learning doesn't always equate true intelligence or smarts. My schooling has been in the University of Life, and tuition hasn't been cheap.....

Anyway, there are a lot of smart people who respond on this forum, and while we might all drink in different messes, we all have a part to play within in the CF, and hopefully some of what is said here actually helps to make changes for the better.

Al

Like I said, I'm not here to pick a fight but it seems that others are.  Like I also said, I am not in the military so I'm unfortunately not privy to these inside jokes about officers.  I saw the comment and I'm sure anyone can understand that it would seem insulting if one didn't know that it is an ongoing joke about officers and the work they do.  And since I am in the DEO application process then I am naturally curious to know what to expect if and when I get the call and head out for my 9 years of service.  So my apologies if I came across as in a huff.  I just sometimes wonder if there is a culture of officer-bashing or something going on because I frequently see what I would consider to be anti-officer comments.  So if it is all in good fun then sure I can understand that and its may bad for misinterpreting the comment.  Like I said, I am just looking out for what to expect.

Worlds Most Dangerous things...
a Lt with a Map

a 2Lt "based on my experience"

;D

NCO's and Officers have differing areas of experience (with some overlap).  The difference in NCO's have typically learned "their lane" while junior officers are like young drivers and veer off all over the place  ;)
The best part is while that junior officer can group up into an excellent commander - you still know where the bodies are buried in his closet...

Exceptions exist everwhere however they prove the rule.  :salute:

There are two kinds of officers, sir: killin' officers and murderin' officers. Killin' officers are poor old buggers that get you killed by mistake. Murderin' officers are mad, bad, old buggers that get you killed on purpose -- for a country, for a religion, maybe even for a flag. You see that Major Hogan, sir? That's what I call a murderin' officer.
Cpl Patrick Harper, Sharpes Rifles
;D

Kat

He was a Pte (Rfn) on the way to becoming a Cpl, but when the Old Sgt got killed he got the course written off.

At the time of the quote he was a cpl, depending on whether you read it or watched it on telly. Either way, a stellar quote...

Kat

Most Feared Words in the Army: "I'm from Ottawa, I'm here to help."

Kat

I've done a bit of searching and I can't find anything, and I no longer have the original book with me, but I'm quite certain that Harper was never made a Cpl.....

<Fix sword and forms square around this statement....>

I believe, but am probably wrong, that Harper was a Cpl, was busted for fighting, and was working his way back up. In the book Rifles, I think he stayed a rifleman for the duration. Again, best of my recollection... been a while..

Kat

a 2Lt "based on my experience"
young cherry officer actually burned his entire platoon that way. Hooked us good. He goes (and I'm paraphrasing a bit) "Well, Warrant, in my experience.."
- and here he paused while us Cpls up to the WO turned and looked at him with 'deer-in-the-headlights' eyes, and faces of abject terror -
"...Gotcha!"
;D
He's now an awesome young Captain. Follow him anywhere.

Krazy-P said:
So i have lurked here for a while, read some very interesting posts. and i must say, there are alot of very very intelligent ncm soldier types here. they should be putting you guys in leadership roles if they havent already, anyone think of goin officer?  dont be too harsh towards me, just a question.

Krazy-P:

After having given myself a "time-out" for a while, I'm perhaps better able to answer your question for you.  I do apologize for jumping you - it was unfair of me, and I didn't give any thought to where you were coming from (an eager young person, asking a legitimate question). 

Before I get to my reply to your original question, a little background for you:  I am a retired Warrant Officer, I was an Infantryman (031) for three years, I got out, then I got married and had a kid - I got back into the first opening available, which was Adm Clk (831).  I loved my new trade, and spent  most of my career - with the exception of one year as a "Reg Force Advisor" to the Communication Reserve, one two year posting in an Air Force Squadron, and one year with a Headquarters - in the field - including four years with the Canadian Airborne Regiment (yes, in those days even CSS troops were jumpers).  My last posting was CC 3 PPCLI, which included the 2002 deployment to Afghanistan.  During my time in the CF, I was offered support to CFR (Commissioning From the Ranks) twice - which I declined to persue both times.  I have a BAdm degree (which ain't worth much, but which I earned on my OWN time, with my OWN money, and didn't bother telling the Army about) - so I guess that makes me "qualified" candidate for commissioning - at least in accordance with current regulations.  I have seven tours, some of which were "SWANS", but most of which were "hard time".  In other words, I've been around - and I enjoyed just about every damn minute of it.

All of the above only to give you my bona fides.  I am NOT a military expert of any kind - I'm just a dumb guy who got along OK during his career - hitting a few high points, and hitting a few low points - but generally doing OK.

Back to your original observation - "there are alot of very very intelligent ncm soldier types here. they should be putting you guys in leadership roles". 

A couple of things here - firstly, you may not be aware that the term "NCM" or Non-Commissioned Member, was a replacement for the term "men".  In previous vernacular there were the "Officers", and the "Men".  This was found to be politically incorrect, as it excluded "Women".  Thus the term "NCM" was coined.  This new designation for the former "Men" did not negate the term "NCO" (non-commissioned officer).  Non-Commissioned Officers includes the ranks of Cpl, MCpl, and Sgt (and their Naval equivalents) - and still does.  The other group of "NCM's" are Warrant Officers.  This group includes Warrant Officers, Master Warrant Officers, and Chief Warrant Officers (and their Naval Petty Officer equivalents).  The ENTIRE group of Private soldiers, NCOs, and WOs may be referred to as "NCMs", but one usually distinguishes each group according to the context of the statement.  In other words, rather than saying "all Officers and Men ...) one now says "all Officers and NCMs" when attempting to describe the totality of a unit or formation.  NCOs remain NCOs, and WOs remain WOs.  There is no such term as "Sr NCM".

You should also be aware that all ranks in the CF of MCpl and above ARE leadership ranks.  MCpls in many situations are Detachment Commanders (Sigs and other trades), and Sergeants are Section Commanders, Chief Clerks, Chief Cooks, etcetera.  Each trade and/or element has its' own designations.

Now - you seem to have been implying that "smart people" should become Officers.  Nothing could be further from the truth - EVERYBODY in the CF (and good militaries the world over) needs to be a "smart person".  In general terms, the difference between Jr NCOs, Sr NCOs, and WOs is in span of control.  The difference between Officers and "NCMs" is that Officers have "executive authority".

The way that difference plays out in day to day operations is beyond the scope of what I'm willing to get into in this post - however, both Officers and NCMs are a REQUIRED part of the team.  Neither part of the team is "smarter" than the other.  They just have a different focus.  Whether you end up as an Officer or a "Man" is not a measure of your worth, it's a measure of your focus.  Neither is more worthy  than the other, BOTH are necessary parts of the team.

Within the military there is a lot of (for the most part) good humoured "ribbing" between the Men and the Officers.  This is generally not understood in context by civilians, and has lead to such conclusions as yours that "smart people" should be Officers.  We can get into the history of this misconception should you wish - but the fact remains that in todays Army we need "smart people" in ALL ranks.

Once again - I apologize for jumping on you - I should have thought before pressing the "Post" button.

Back