• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Rejection: How to Appeal? [Merged]

Is anyone else waiting for his or her medical to come back from Ottawa?  I've been waiting for a month or so (which I know is not very long!) but I am curious to know if the wait times have diminished over previous years.  The whole process was flying but seemed to go quiet at the beginning of April.

My Advice:  Call them up to see what is going on.  I hadn't heard anything recently on the status of my application, so decided to bother them for a minute.  They were waiting on my VFS before proceeding further.  I wanted to get the rest of the process out of the way in the meantime, but the recruiters have a method to their madness.  I am not sure if I will have to redo my CFAT since it has been 6 years since the last time I did it.

yes you will have to do it again...

I had made my CFAT in 1998 and I had to do them again in 2006.

And yes (big smile) the recruiters thing are madness lol  ;D

I've also been waiting for a while.  I called CFRC Vancouver up in February just to see what the status of my application was, and they said they were just waiting for my medical to get back.  I was told it usually takes a month to a month and a half, so I guess there must be an influx of new recruits slowing things down a bit.

Thanks for the information everyone, I feel better knowing that I am not alone in waiting.  I have to get this patience thing down pat :'(.

Back in early March my medical forms were sent back east, i believe around March 7th...i hadnt heard anything the by the first week of April, so i decided to call....and low and behold..my medical came back cleared and they had me merit listed since March 26th. So definately give them a call, you never know, they may have everything back already!!

Just an update, in case anyone else is comparing wait times.  My medical went to Ottawa around the 20th of March and came back to the recruiting center in Toronto on the 20th of April (which seems like a reasonable turn around time).  Unfortunately, my own doctor went bananas in her testing to prove that I'm not diabetic and provided the medical board with stacks of blood work which they carefully examined and found another issue.  I'll post the turn around time on this next round when all is said and done.

This is for anyone who is waiting for their medical to come back from Ottawa.  This was my second time through for sending in stuff for my medical.  I submitted my forms around May 12th and had a reply by June 1st.  It was barely over two weeks for a response!

Port Hope said:
This is for anyone who is waiting for their medical to come back from Ottawa.  This was my second time through for sending in stuff for my medical.  I submitted my forms around May 12th and had a reply by June 1st.  It was barely over two weeks for a response!

Port Hope, from your one post I do remember you had some pretty bad news and I think it was about your white blood count, and I felt sorry to hear that things were not going the way that you hoped. Sounds like things have turned around for you. That's wonderful  :)

~Rebecca

Merit listed finally, I feel like a dope for giving up hope on the process.

Port Hope said:
Merit listed finally, I feel like a dope for giving up hope on the process.

Sometimes, with anything when we are not sure what the outcome is going to be, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that when I started my course that I am taking now, I started back in January, there have honestly been times when I have felt like giving up also. Then when I started getting results, good marks that I surprised myself with, it just gave me the courage to keep plugging away.

Port Hope, from your last post about your own blocks in the road, now this it truly shows, that with hard work and pushing through for what you truly want, anything is possible if you trust that what is meant to be will happen. And it's definately, on the right track for you! Keep us updated!

~Rebecca

Congrats port hope, glad to see you followed through and it worked for you!!

proudnurse said:
Sometimes, with anything when we are not sure what the outcome is going to be, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that when I started my course that I am taking now, I started back in January, there have honestly been times when I have felt like giving up also. Then when I started getting results, good marks that I surprised myself with, it just gave me the courage to keep plugging away.

Port Hope, from your last post about your own blocks in the road, now this it truly shows, that with hard work and pushing through for what you truly want, anything is possible if you trust that what is meant to be will happen. And it's definately, on the right track for you! Keep us updated!

~Rebecca

I second that.

Very unexpected things happen in the medical.....I had an allergy problem initially which they rejected me for, so I went to see an allergist to try to clear things up...the thing was, I personally did not find the letter from my allergist to be very convincing in proving that I would not die if exposed. To this day, I still eat the stuff that I am supposedly allergic to. But the doctor stated that I should carry an epipen because you "never know". Even the medical technicians at the CFRC didn't think it was convincing enough. I gave up on the process because it was very very likely I would not get accepted. Sure enough that my next letter would be another rejection, it came back when I had already gotten myself another job and bam. I was just as shocked as anyone else would be to get accepted when the chances of getting in was slim to none. I guess it really proves something to come back and show them some initiative if you get yourself a second opinion. Shows that you're not in just to get trained and leave, but some serious commitment.

mysteriousmind said:
yes you will have to do it again...

I had made my CFAT in 1998 and I had to do them again in 2006.

And yes (big smile) the recruiters thing are madness lol  ;D

Not necessarily, I just did a CEOTP App in Dec last year and the BPSO used my GCB results from 1996

My medical docs went from the recruiting centre to Ottawa on 7 june, and were sent from Ottawa to Toronto on 15 June. Took a week to review and pass it along. My VFS took 4 months. I waited until Friday to see if I got my Air Factor, I'll call on Tuesday to find out. Next step from Toronto is to CFRHQ for fabrication of an offer.

I was deemed 'skilled' so didn't have to do the CFAT. Last aptitude test I did in the Forces was in the late 80's.

My Interview and Medical was done June 27/ 2007. I had to get a urinalysis done as protein and blood showed up in my urine. I went to the hospital lab the same day (June 27) and had another test and complete urinalysis done. I don't know why the original results were what they were at the recruiting center, but the hospital lab test came back the next morning completely negative for any protien/ blood and was totaly normal. I hand-delivered the results to the Recruiting center and straight into the hands of the medic who had completed my medical exam. Since it was Thur. June 28, He said he would send it off first thing Friday morning (prior to Canada day long weekend). I called the recruiting center July 10th and they said my medical was already in- transit back to them via Ottawa. Was told to call back July 11. I called July 11 and was told "As a candidate, you meet all requirements for enrollment" My file manager said I was merit listed as of July 11,2007. Now I await "THE CALL!!" I was told it should be very shortly!!! I can't wait. To sum up,  I have no complaints as the process has gone quite smoothly and quickly. 12 days for my medical to get approved was by no means a long wait, I'd say!!  :) Good luck on your process

Dear Chimo,

I went through the same experience twice but I feel that the whole process was done quickly, professionally and in good order.

I did become discouraged at the end but I began to see that the Canadian Forces has to do a thorough job of weeding out people with real medical issues.  I run my own business and I won't hire people who will fall apart after two weeks of hard labor.

Sgt at CFRC MTL just told me that  as of 1997, CFAT results are good for life. (Assuming you meet the standards, and the data isn't "lost").

Back