• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

More Than Half (56%) of Canadians Consider Canada’s Armed Forces to be Old and Antiquated

Or actually go on exercise with them. That will change your mind mach schnell
Having worked with troops from pretty much all our allies, I find it's mostly a matter of us all coming together commiserate on the same problems, just on a different scale:

"Not enough of the right kit, not enough people to work on it, the CoC are self serving, the politicians don't give a fuck, and our pay and rations suck."

Doesn't matter if they're Commonwealth, NATO, or other partners (the Columbians, Uruguayans, and Fijians all were the same way at the MFO); troops.will always have the same gripes.

As far as training and professionalism, well, how each nation approaches those issues for their members is what makes the difference. Canada, for all our faults, seems to actually give a shit about making sure our troops are (mostly) well trained and (mostly) well treated for pay and other admin support.

There is a reason why the U.S. and Aussies have a revolving door with retention as well, their conditions suck for what they're getting paid; all the Gucci kit in the world won't make Bloggins stay. Especially when banks won't accept "For King and Country" as payment for a mortgage.

Warrior is definitely the right description. How's your morale?
The problem with the term “warrior” means that without a war, they are useless or wasted. Soldiers can do other things, even if it’s not what they joined for - stressing “warrior” implies that using CAF personnel for anything else is beneath us.

While stacking sandbags or shovelling snow isn’t what most joined to do, OP LENTUS is arguably an important task for those civilians whose houses just got burned out or washed away.

My morale is great, but then again I’m aircrew :sneaky:

Having worked with troops from pretty much all our allies, I find it's mostly a matter of us all coming together commiserate on the same problems, just on a different scale:

"Not enough of the right kit, not enough people to work on it, the CoC are self serving, the politicians don't give a fuck, and our pay and rations suck."

Doesn't matter if they're Commonwealth, NATO, or other partners (the Columbians, Uruguayans, and Fijians all were the same way at the MFO); troops.will always have the same gripes.

As far as training and professionalism, well, how each nation approaches those issues for their members is what makes the difference. Canada, for all our faults, seems to actually give a shit about making sure our troops are (mostly) well trained and (mostly) well treated for pay and other admin support.

There is a reason why the U.S. and Aussies have a revolving door with retention as well, their conditions suck for what they're getting paid; all the Gucci kit in the world won't make Bloggins stay. Especially when banks won't accept "For King and Country" as payment for a mortgage.
Having worked with US folks fairly recently, the fact that their pay may be stopped annually bc Congress won’t pass a bill (this may happen for the second time this year, bc they just passed a stopgap to tide for 45 days) and the collective response is “oh well, hope my bank will increase my limit” blows my mind.

For our faults, I don’t think all CAF members don’t say “wonder if I’ll be paid past October [their end-fiscal year]...?”

Back