• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Name is Earl

Strange...I know EMO (NS) has removed candles from their emergency kit list.

"Using candles is not recommended, but if you must use them, make sure they are properly supported. Use a non-combustible container that is larger than the candle. Keep materials at least half a metre (two feet) away from candles. Extinguish all candles before leaving the room." - http://emo.gov.ns.ca/content/hurricane-earl-qa

NOAA/National Hurricane Centre removed candles from their list as well.

Three people died in a house fire shortly after the power went out in Halifax after Juan hit, and a candle was determined to be the probable cause.  It's just not worth the risk when there are safer battery-operated alternatives.

http://www.stormpulse.com/

Update on Earl's track.

Regards

Occam said:
......there were more deaths from fires started by candles than there were from the actual storm.
Hey, give Darwin his due.  ;)

Earl's giving us a bit of rain in Antigonish, little bit of bluster as well. I am actually happy for it because it seems to be knocking down the crazy humidity of the last few days.

Heading for Truro-ish area soon and expect to see a bit more wild stuff.

I'm okay with the storm season. Anything that gets us evacuated off the rig for a few days.

Phoned a roofer already - He has a crew coming out tomorrow to re shingle a section of my main roof. He will do this as my wife and I clean up the birch tree that came down over the garden fence and the top of a beautiful red maple that came down on the garden shed. Ironically, I fought off the deer eating the flowers all summer and in 90 minutes, Earl threw them all over to the neighbours!
Though nowhere near as longlasting, the physical effect where I am was equal in intensity to Juan. We are going to walk up to Chebucto Head lighthouse later to see how things look from up there.

My daughter lives in an apartment in Halifax, but she drove up here to visit on the long weekend, so she missed it all.  Well, except for the rain we got.  Were you without power long in Halifax?

For the peninsula, we lost power at around 1000 yesterday morning and the it came back at around 0200 this morning.

Got hit harder than I thought I would...

Lost a big limb off of the tree in the front yard (no damage to surroundings), fence that used to surround pool blown down (no biggie because its days were numbered), lost some of the cladding at my roof line and I think my pump is fried. Pisses me off because I am selling the house and only go to it to fix it up - now I have more to fix.

Scott said:
Got hit harder than I thought I would...

Lost a big limb off of the tree in the front yard (no damage to surroundings), fence that used to surround pool blown down (no biggie because its days were numbered), lost some of the cladding at my roof line and I think my pump is fried. Pisses me off because I am selling the house and only go to it to fix it up - now I have more to fix.

Now, if it had been blown away, off to OZ, you could have submitted an Insurance Claim.      >:D

Believe me, I wish it had...

Lost a garden shed, power was out until late last night.  Was working at the Airport during the storm, lots of cancellations. 
Some poor bugger at Jeddore Harbour lost their large cruiser to Earl.  It was half submerged and against the causeway at Salmon River Bridge.

Back