• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Interesting tank I once found

ghosttank.jpg

Old and Tired said:
American entry for the MBT-70 program with the German Army.

Yup
I kinda knew it was going to be guessed quickly with the wealth of knowledge here.
(Where would I ask what a tank is because I have a whole bunch of pictures from when I was at the German Ministry for Military technology but forgot to take pictures of the Info plaques of the prototype tanks, and some of them look really interesting)   

MBT-70 looking a little worse for wear at Littlefields, they welded steel boxs to the hull to increase the weight.

img0575nq3.jpg

M-51 is a Israeli Supersherman

This picture is taken from the driver hatch, notice the 2 different types of ammuntion for the main gun.

Not enough coffee clearly!!!  :)

You got it, it's the M551, the rounds on the right of the picture are the 152mm HE and you can make out the missiles on the left. Actually with a modified breech (get rid of the screwy screw breech) the gun would likely work well on a Engineering vehicle or even a LAV as fire support.

Marder 2 Infantry Fighting Vehicle
The vehicle is an experimental prototype (VT-001) that was built in 1990-1991.

The Bundeswehr had originally planned to replace the Marder 1 IFV, starting around the year 2000. However, this plan was cancelled in the light of Germany's reunification and the fall of the Soviet Union. However, an experimental prototype vehicle was developed that demonstrated an unprecedented operational range, cross-country mobility, mounted and dismounted firepower, and armored protection.

The Marder 2 prototype featured a fully stabilized gun with a digital fire control system that could be switched between 35mm and 50mm by changing the barrel and breech assemblies. It was supported with a dual feed system, providing Armor-Piercing and High-Explosive shells. Secondary armament comprised a 7.62mm machine gun.

The vehicle was protected with spaced armor and an interior spall liner, and could carry a complement of ten men. It weighed 43 tons, and was powered by an 8-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine developing 1000hp.

Here are some view of it outdoors.

Blackadder1916 said:
Marder 2 Infantry Fighting Vehicle
The vehicle is an experimental prototype (VT-001) that was built in 1990-1991.

Here's a view of it outdoors.

Yuppers

Yes, a real shame that it wasn´t fielded. The people who had to do with spoke very highly of it. :'(

Regards,
ironduke57

Back