• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

I don't have any weird and wonderful pictures to post so I throw this out to whoever wishes to post one.

It would be far more dangerous for the crew of this than the enemy. Especially the guy sitting on the seat by the side of the gun.

Kat Stevens said:
M-56 Scorpion?
Yes... that was quick !!
This particular vehicle is displayed outside the Armed Forces Museum in Camp Shelby, Miss.

Pure coincidence that I happened to know this one!  Someone else please step up, I got nothing.

OK, since there are no takers I'll give it a go.

Try this one.

vG

Running gear has a M41 look to it, but extended.  . . . . .

M44T (Turkish)

http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/jaa/jaa_0414.html
Development
Late in 1986, a German consortium consisting of MTU, GLS and Rheinmetall completed the prototype of an upgraded 155 mm M44 self-propelled howitzer subsequently designated the M44T. This was built to meet the requirements of the Turkish Land Forces Command and the prototype commenced mobility and fire-power trials at the Turkish School of Artillery in 1987. Compared to the original US M44 whose design can be traced back to shortly after the end of the Second World War, the more recent 155 mm/39 calibre M44T has increased mobility, fire power and reliability. In total, 168 M44s of the Turkish Army were upgraded in Turkey with some of the component parts being made under licence in Turkey.  By late 2008, Turkey was the only customer for the M44T upgrade programme.  The 155 mm M44 was originally developed to meet the requirements of the US Army but from 1962 was replaced by the 155 mm M109 series.

Description
The M44T has its original Continental petrol engine replaced by an MTU MB 833 Aa-501 V-6 water-cooled diesel developing 450 hp at 2,300 rpm coupled to the original Allison CD-500-3 transmission via a ZF gearbox.  Increased fuel tankage of 780 litres, together with the MTU diesel engine, provides a range of approximately 620 km compared to the 122 km of the original petrol-engined M44.  On the prototype M44T upgrade, the driver remained in the gun compartment but in production vehicles he is seated in the chassis.  Various other components and subsystems have been modernised and a Halon fire warning and extinguishing system has been installed.  A new driver's instrument panel has also been fitted.  Replacement of the existing electrical system has also been carried out using new cables, fuse boxes and batteries.  New actuators for steering, braking and acceleration have been fitted, and for cold starting of the engine at temperatures below -18°C a preheating system has been fitted.  The top engine deck and exhaust system have also been modified.  Modifications to the torsion bar suspension include new hydraulic shock-absorbers and torsion bars and some adaptation of the hydraulic bump stops.  A new track (with replaceable rubber pads) has also been installed and snow grips can be fitted if required.  New rubber dust skirts have been fitted to help keep dust down.The original short-barrelled 155 mm ordnance has been replaced by a 155 mm 39 calibre barrel and breech similar to that used on the upgraded German Rheinmetall M109A3G.

Looks like a Shorland 4x4, but has a French gun-mount and AA52 m/g SOOOOO!! it's probably French.

tango22a

"Box car Mk 1" - NO (but following improvements to the specific veh prototype pictured, the vehicle is now identified as "*. . . . . MK II" - see attached pics below for MK II)

"66 International Scout"  -  No, much more recent

"Shorland 4x4" -  No

"has a French gun-mount and AA52 m/g SOOOOO!! it's probably French"  -  don't know why it is pictured with an AA52, but NO, it is not French.

Iveco?

Also I know Iraq has bought various internal security vehicles but can't find the link, is this being issued to Iraqi forces?

"Iveco?"  -  No

" . . . is this being issued to Iraqi forces?"  -  No (well, I don't think so.)  I haven't found any reference to such a purchase (or any other) on the manufacturer's website.  The manufacturer, though, is Middle Eastern.

A Rafael WOLF?
It is the only vehicle produced in the Middle east that looks similar to this.

gendaSaymarHAUGH1.jpg

Saymar Genda 290S 4x4 Armored Personnel Carrier

Country of Orgin/Used by: Israel
First Produced/Service Dates: 2006
Manufactured by: Saymar Ltd.
Crew: 2/4
Armament: Main: (1) 7.62mm Light Machine Gun
Engine: 4 Cylinder
Miscellaneous Info: Prototype only, no production yet.  Based on a cross-country chassis by Force Motors Ltd. of India.  The Force Motors components are based on Mercedes-Benz sub-assemblies which allow for commercial acquisition of parts.

http://www.warwheels.net/images/GendaSaymarDATASHEET.pdf

- I have nothing so somebody else fore away.

vG

Ok then
I found this while looking for the other one for a few hours(I am now over informed about Israel's Defense manufacturers)
itsamystery.jpg

Back