• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP MP introduces bill to create "Defence of Canada Medal (1946-1989)"

What a waste of an idea.  There's always some sort of threat against Canada, so if this went through you would have people whining that there should be a medal for the period of 2001-present about the extra threat of terrorists since 9/11.  Oh, but then you need to look at 1990-2000 where there was a threat of countries destabilizing due to the Soviet Union collapsing... it goes on and on and on.

XMP said:
Ask and ye shall recieve:

The funny thing about that chart and it's "Never Left Canada" medal that was clearly meant to be a joke is that it requires 20 years of service where as the MP's suggestion only requires 3 years.

The author of that piece must be banging his head off the wall.

EDIT: to remove the huge image

There's something in the water, right? A medal for showing up? I thought that's why we had the CD. Now I read that some Afghan vets want a big parade of their own.

I have a plan for the medal - in the unlikely event that an opposition private member's bill even wins the lottery* and gets debated and in the even more unlikely event that it passes I will ignore it for the reason Danjanou gave: all this new bling is a plot by the medal mounting business.

I also have a plan for the Afghan victory parade: a battery of horse drawn brass cannon (we've got two years to find the guns, train the horses and riders, etc), a guard of scarlet coated engineers (two years to raise the money for the jackets and busbys), three or four armoured and ten or twelve infantry guards, each with regimental guidons/colours and guards from all the other assorted ash and trash (two years to teach the RCAF how to do drill, too) - all standing and stamping about on Parliament Hill on a hot August day while assorted politicos bask in the reflected glory. I'll get my letter off to the MND tomorrow, he'll love it - he's the biggest publicity hound in Ottawa; he would attend the opening of an envelope if the media was coming.

Green-Park-Salute.jpg

125parade022.jpg

125parade101.jpg

... etc, etc, etc

Edit: typo

Canadian.Trucker said:
What a waste of an idea.  There's always some sort of threat against Canada, so if this went through you would have people whining that there should be a medal for the period of 2001-present about the extra threat of terrorists since 9/11.  Oh, but then you need to look at 1990-2000 where there was a threat of countries destabilizing due to the Soviet Union collapsing... it goes on and on and on.

That's at least two more medals there plus maybe a couple of bars. My retired medal mounting guy in Scarberia is going to be shopping for a Lexus. 8)

Ah Vern?  "On me" probably means something different to Edward.

milnews.ca said:
Did your troop do this?  ;D

No, but every school and student did ::)

I'm sure hiding under my wooden desk as it caught fire was the best thought out solution they could come up with at the time :facepalm:

spelling

(c) police services that were trained and engaged in national survival and counter-espionage [RCMP Security Service and predecessors--but what about non-police CSIS after 1984?];

(d) provincial and municipal organizations whose role it was to protect the civilian population or render social and medical aid during a nuclear attack [lord knows how many people];

(e) recognized civilian organizations that undertook National Survival Training and stood ready to apply it in case of a national emergency [ditto]; and

(f) the Canadian Coast Guard [not created until 1965, had no Cold War role as such since a civilian service].

Mark
Ottawa

E.R. Campbell said:
(two years to teach the RCAF how to do drill, too)

Sounded good until I reached this part.  No use trying for the impossible, stick to the fly passes.

Personally I take this bill as an insult.  I have my nice CD1 for my years of service and well on my way to changing it to a 2 - I do not need another thank you for coming out medal.  In fact if they want to add a medal how about the "I survived the Decade of Darkness" medal.  Any pay clerks from the period get a special bar with the word CLERK on it for surviving as everyone seemed to blame us for not getting an increase.  Note that it is for survivors only - if you released prior to the end then you do not qualify (can't have all those FRP's looking for another hand out.)  >:D

CountDC said:
Note that it is for survivors only - if you released prior to the end then you do not qualify (can't have all those FRP's looking for another hand out.)  >:D

It would be interesting to see how many people took an FRP buy-out, and then took a recruiting incentive to get back in...

dapaterson said:
It would be interesting to see how many people took an FRP buy-out, and then took a recruiting incentive to get back in...

Sounds like a fine topic for an ATI request.  >:D

Wow - looks like I'd get 3 more, some with a couple of extra clasps...

MM

Haggis said:
Sounds like a fine topic for an ATI request.  >:D

To ATI document the document or information must exist.  The CF is, at times, singularly uncurious about its own behaviour, and ignores oportunities to learn from its actions.

"(d) provincial and municipal organizations whose role it was to protect the civilian population or render social and medical aid during a nuclear attack;"

Sounds like duplication/triplication. The Exemplary Service Medal ESM already "recognize(s) the men and women dedicated to preserving Canada’s public safety through long and outstanding service."
So do the provincial and departmental long-service medals in emergency services.

So I'm presuming based on the dates that this is the long overdue Cold War Medal and not the GGVSM

GGVSMmedal.gif

If that's the case which spiffy version should we go for?

The National Guard sometimes legal version?
ColdWarMed.jpg

Or the Eurotrash bling?
cold-war-mini-medal-lrg.jpg

I think we should declare victory and go with the flashy version.,
49ac307975317.jpg

Any luck we could have it issued in time for the gay pride parade.  Those in the LOF would of course be entitled to all three.
Besides we could design and issue dour own Jagermeister bar for those of us who really were former Fulda Gap speed bumps.

E.R. Campbell said:
(two years to teach the RCAF how to do drill, too)

I knew there was a reason why i was not on parade today  ;D

That's ok, i got all the recognition i needed. Not only did my $266 in risk allowance make it on my end-month pay, my federal income tax was also adjusted as a result of OP MOBILE.

That's ok, i got all the recognition i needed. Not only did my $266 in risk allowance make it on my end-month pay, my federal income tax was also adjusted as a result of OP MOBILE.

Yes having that extra $1200 on top of our pay before Christmas is indeed a good recognition.  ;D

Australia actually has their version of this medal, except it's for current service as well.
http://www.defence.gov.au/medals/Content/+047%20ADM%20+%20ANSM/+070%20ADM/

Since I wouldn't qualify for this medal due to the slight problem of not being alive in the 60's and 70's, I'll just petition to get "Saville Farm" and "Vertical Village" added to my unit's battle honors.

Back