• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need help making a decision

Nightsky565

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I will try to make this post as brief as possible. I am about six months from completing my high school education. I will most likely be completing high school with an average over 85%. I plan on going to law or medical school in the future but want to finance my education. I thought about working two construction type jobs which would pay me well, and then I got the idea about the military. I am pretty confident that I would get into the military if I applied myself. I am level headed, stress resistant, a good team mate, and physically/mentally fit. I also am very proud of my country and would love to make a positive impact on the future.

My main question to some of the more experienced soldiers is would it be worth it for me to join up with the force for three years and then call it quits and go to law school. How much money would I be looking at per year for my first three years as an infantry type soldier. Money is definitely not my utmost concern; but it is also not the last item on my list. Is the military more of a career? Or is it normal for people to hop in for a few years then hop out.

Thanks  :)

You know, I'm not really qualified to butt in, but have you considered being a Reservist through schooling? You can learn alot, a lawyer friend of mine was a Clerk and picked up alot of skills he uses every day in his practice (Family Law) and it sure helped him finance his education.

I have a similar inquiry as the one above.  I handed in my application a few weeks ago. Over the past 5 years I've been working in the civ field making acceptable wages.  I have not really been able to put away a nest egg (mostly due to living a little above my means but that's another story  :) )

I would like to hear from any older (notice i didn't say "old" but rather older) members of the cf that might have moved from a civ life to the forces.  Are the cost of living similar?  I've been lurking on the board for the past few weeks reading as much as i can about living in pmq, the cost of food etc.

For one reason or another I seem to think it'll be easier to put money aside while in the forces.  Am I way off on this one?  I have read the 'money' thread on this forum, I'm simply looking for personal experiences/stories.

Seeing as this is my first post; here's a little about myself:  29 years old, fit, looking forward to the challenge and the reward of serving.  *money is not why I've applied*.  Patiently waiting to hear from the recruitment center in order to schedule my cfat and all that good stuff.

Thanks,
R.

Nightsky565 said:
Hi there,

I will try to make this post as brief as possible. I am about six months from completing my high school education. I will most likely be completing high school with an average over 85%. I plan on going to law or medical school in the future but want to finance my education. I thought about working two construction type jobs which would pay me well, and then I got the idea about the military. I am pretty confident that I would get into the military if I applied myself. I am level headed, stress resistant, a good team mate, and physically/mentally fit. I also am very proud of my country and would love to make a positive impact on the future.

My main question to some of the more experienced soldiers is would it be worth it for me to join up with the force for three years and then call it quits and go to law school. How much money would I be looking at per year for my first three years as an infantry type soldier. Money is definitely not my utmost concern; but it is also not the last item on my list. Is the military more of a career? Or is it normal for people to hop in for a few years then hop out.

Thanks  :)

If you join the reserves, you can switch to a similar triad in the military, ie MO or AJAG (depending on your choice of education) or stay in the one you start with. that way you don't have to put your education on hold; or leave the military to go to school.

Reserve is a good option they give you up 5000 a year for scholar ship and you get to have contract in the summer that give you good $$. I know that the army is looking for doctor you should call the recruitment center for more info they could pay for your study. I don't think it a good idea for you to join for a 3 year period it wasted time. Go to school it worth it more. But once your in you can apply to take course and they pay a good part of it. The trade that you pick most of the time wont have a effect on your pay we all get pay the same but they are trade that pay more they are call speciallist trade and usually those trade course are over 6 month long and there are always waiting time. The are lot of people that do only 3 year and decide that the army is not for them.

As for the other question it all depend what you do with your money. It not cause your in the army that it easier to put money a side. You do have a pension you have option to put money off your pay into a different account like me i have 500$ a month that goes into a saving account i don't see the money so I'm not tempted to used it. It true that when you go to the field or are deployed over sea you don't spend much money during that time.

The program providing financial support to reservists in post-secondary education is limited to 50% of actual tuition and books to a maximum of $2000 per year / $8000 lifetime.

See the website at:

http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/er/engraph/er/pres/PRes_e.asp

Nightsky565 said:
Hi there,
Back at you

I will try to make this post as brief as possible.
The thought is appreciated.

I am about six months from completing my high school education. I will most likely be completing high school with an average over 85%.
Well done! Keep it up, its almost over!

I plan on going to law or medical school in the future but want to finance my education.
Admirable goals and nothing wrong with wanting to pay your own way.

I thought about working two construction type jobs which would pay me well, and then I got the idea about the military.
Because its like construction or because it pays well?  Depending on what you do, its is constructive and can pay well.  Hopefully you have other noble objectives that are driving your reasons for signing up.

I am pretty confident that I would get into the military if I applied myself.
This implies that you are seeking employment where there is less application of self. Nontheless, if you pass the entrance tests, there are many large and loud-voiced instructors who are willing and able to assist you with learning how to apply yourself.

I am level headed, stress resistant, a good team mate, and physically/mentally fit.
All good qualities.

I also am very proud of my country and would love to make a positive impact on the future.
Probable the best quality you could ask for in a soldier. 

My main question to some of the more experienced soldiers is would it be worth it for me to join up with the force for three years and then call it quits and go to law school. How much money would I be looking at per year for my first three years as an infantry type soldier. Money is definitely not my utmost concern; but it is also not the last item on my list. Is the military more of a career? .
A tough question.  There are many who have in the past joined.  Some stayed a few years, some stayed for the full 20+ contract.  For many, it started out as something to do between A and B, but they loved it so much they changed their plans.  So, yes, it is 'more of a career'.

Or is it normal for people to hop in for a few years then hop out?
No, it is not normal to hop in and out.  The unwritten law from the reg force 'stone tablet' is that you are allowed one hop out, and you better be convincing to be allowed back in, plus have someone willing to vouch for your character and say that you wont hop out again.  The CF is not a construction job where they are looking for any warm body to swing a hammer.  Choose carefully and good luck.     

Centurian1985

Good Luck in whatever you choose to do, it's a tough choice. it's always best to go where your heart is.  ;)

Nightsky565 said:
Is the military more of a career? Or is it normal for people to hop in for a few years then hop out.
both. You won't save up any money. Nobody does. BUt, you will walk away knowing more about yourself in those 3 years than you ever would in a lifetime of civilian employment. And you can call yourself a citizen of this nation, instead of an occupant.

You'll be doing your part to to make the world a better place, see some stuff you never would otherwise, and learn the true definition of the word "tolerance".

It sucks more than I can ever describe, and it's worth every second.

Rouge said:
Am I way off on this one? 
yup.

Well, it really does depend entirely on you, dude. There are those with the discipline to make a lot of money and deal with it responsibly. The pay is good, the benefits amongst the best in the nation, but you can't serve for them. The sacrifices aren't worth it.

You gotta have something else to cling to, 'cause no amount of money is worth some of the crap we do to ourselves. The reasons we do it, are not measurable in any tangible form. And they are, therefore, priceless.

Save money? Not likely. But you'll have some of the best friends for life. Go there with no expectations and you will not be disappointed! Smile grin and bear it, if you love it stay on, if not go back to being a civvie..

Join the reserves, no point in signing a four to six year contract and then kicking yourself in the ass because you can't finish up your education. I joined up right after high school and signed a four year contract and do in fact regret it because now I doubt I'll be able to get the education I want to get until I'm 30. Its an allright job, but by no means a great job if you get my point, their are more then a few members who hate the job or love the job to death. I myself joined for the reasons of brotherhood, country, adventure, etc. Now I find myself asking whether it was worth it, sure their are plenty of good memories that will be taken from the military but in the end I would still take the education anyday.

Back