• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New IRP / Move policy-effective Dec 01, 2017 [Merged]

Kratz, where does the 1.5% service fee mentioned a while ago come into play? After registering and going through the site and documents etc., I didn't see mention of it?

[quote author=Lumber]
Kratz, where does the 1.5% service fee mentioned a while ago come into play? After registering and going through the site and documents etc., I didn't see mention of it?
[/quote]

I have avoided this, because I have no experience to answer the question.
I do not want to spread or encourage uninformed rumour.

I try to post within my lanes.

kratz said:
I have avoided this, because I have no experience to answer the question.
I do not want to spread or encourage uninformed rumour.

I try to post within my lanes.

Ah: fair, fair.

SF2 said:
I think what is confusing about real estate fees is that (at least from what i'm seeing) - the funds aren't accounted for in the "budget" when you view them under finances.  Yes, there are legal fees shown to the tune of $500, all good there.  Request advance, pay lawyer with card or EFT- got it.

But I don't see budgeted funding for the real estate agent - so how do I pay him/her?  That amount is entirely dependant on the sale price of the home.  So once your house sells (or buy at destination), do you submit the sale agreement online then they allocate the funds to be loaded on the card?

That is really the only hole in the plan that I don't understand - everything else seems relatively intuitive.

The realtor fees will likely be managed by your lawyer using the funds from the sale of the house if it''s handled in any way like on civvie side.  Given that this fee is supposed to be covered by the system, I can only assume that you would be reimbursed at the end of the claim.

If that's case, that sucks...since that was money otherwise going towards the down payment on the new home.  I've emailed bgrs to get the scoop. 

Strike said:
The realtor fees will likely be managed by your lawyer using the funds from the sale of the house if it''s handled in any way like on civvie side.  Given that this fee is supposed to be covered by the system, I can only assume that you would be reimbursed at the end of the claim.

Well and good if one is selling a house and not just purchasing their first home.  If that's how it's to be done, then I sense it is our younger personnel who can least likely afford it, yet again, who will be disadvantaged the most by such a play at 'paying later'.

SF2 said:
If that's case, that sucks...since that was money otherwise going towards the down payment on the new home.  I've emailed bgrs to get the scoop.

I think you can get around this if you have a conversation between your lawyer and your realtor.

Explain to them that all benefits are supposed to be paid by either the relocard, or by EFT. So you have two options:

1. Instead of the Lawyer transferring the real estate commission to the realtor, you establish in advance that the money will be transferred to the realtor by EFT using the provided forms, and direct that all of the equity goes to you.

or

2. Most lawyer's offices have point of sale terminals. Once your sale agreement is finalized, your lawyer can draw up the real estate commission, you request the funds be advanced to your relocard, and you "pay" the lawyers at your office. Once again, the lawyer takes THAT money and gives it to your realtor, and you keep all of the money from the house sale.

I just got a response to some questions from my advisor that I will share (she got back to me within an hour!).

1. There is a 1.5% fee charged to your relocard for all EFTs. The minimum charge is a $30 , which is kind of BS when you consider that the approved cost of a Home Appraisal is around $400. So, if your home appraiser doesn't accept plastic for payment, you're actually paying a 7.5% fee to EFT him the money.

However! The fee is capped at $50. So if you're paying a big fee, like land transfer tax or real estate commission, you won't get dinged with a massive fee.

2. You CAN pay the lawyers the real estate commission using your relocard, and have THEM transfer real estate commission to your real estate agent.

3. The approve (read: reimbursable) real estate commission rate in Ontario in 3.7%. Lower than I expected. Hope my realtor doesn't ditch me now! :D

This statement located on the Military Family Services Facebook page... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1692911444085316&id=562454950464310

Lumber said:
I just got a response to some questions from my advisor that I will share (she got back to me within an hour!).

1. There is a 1.5% fee charged to your relocard for all EFTs. The minimum charge is a $30 , which is kind of BS when you consider that the approved cost of a Home Appraisal is around $400. So, if your home appraiser doesn't accept plastic for payment, you're actually paying a 7.5% fee to EFT him the money.

However! The fee is capped at $50. So if you're paying a big fee, like land transfer tax or real estate commission, you won't get dinged with a massive fee.

2. You CAN pay the lawyers the real estate commission using your relocard, and have THEM transfer real estate commission to your real estate agent.

3. The approve (read: reimbursable) real estate commission rate in Ontario in 3.7%. Lower than I expected. Hope my realtor doesn't ditch me now! :D

If the realtor is on the approved Third-party providers list from Brookfield or BGRS (whatever they call themselves) then they have already agreed to that commission rate. So it should not be an issue.

RubberTree said:
This statement located on the Military Family Services Facebook page... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1692911444085316&id=562454950464310

Yes, seems to be hitting quite a few areas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/85urcj/statement_on_the_relocard/

As well as DWAN.

Major-General Wayne D. Eyre Deputy Commander Military Personnel Command

As you are aware, our members have a number of concerns with the new CAF RP (Relocation Program) service delivery model – concerns shared by the senior leadership. Specifically, and for the most part, members are voicing their displeasure about the new BGRS ReloCard and the administrative fees that were not transparent when the contract was implemented. In addition, there are a number of unforeseen restrictions concerning how members can actually use the ReloCard. All of us agree that the member should not bear the cost of these new fees or the inconveniences of these restrictions and we are working with Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC), the Contract Authority, to address all of these issues.

According to the contract, BGRS is contractually obligated to cover these fees. DGCB is working with PSPC to hold BGRS to the contract and to ensure members and their families are not out of pocket for the fees. We are seeking a solution within the coming days.

The Director General Compensation and Benefits team has engaged directly with PSPC to achieve a solution that would reimburse members for any administrative fees incurred as a result of ReloCard usage, as well as a way forward that will improve the system for members and their families before the APS is upon us. PSPC is meeting with BGRS today to discuss our proposed way forward, which would see Electronic Fund Transfers (EFT) used for the larger purchases, such as legal fees, and the use of the ReloCard for the smaller, point of sale purchases, such as gas, hotels, and meals. We do not, as yet, have a mechanism to repay the administrative fees to members; however, rest assured, we will find a solution.

Furthermore, we are continuing to pursue changes to the relocation policy writ large to address concerns expressed over the past several years and we anticipate this will be, overall, a benefit for our members and their families once implemented.

Both the policy updates, along with changes to the relocation delivery model, will be the focus of a concentrated communications strategy once they are confirmed in the coming days and weeks.

Major-General Wayne D. Eyre Deputy Commander Military Personnel Command

While all noted types of complications aren’t specifically addressed, it’s at least somewhat helpful to know that pers complaints/concerns have been noted and there’s at least some steps being taken to start rectifying the issues. Quite frankly, it seems like they’re trying to move quickly in getting things straightened out with this, rather than it still being months and months down the road without so much as a formal peep WRT complications with whatever the problems may have been surrounding a CAF-wide issue in the past.

I'm actually very encouraged at the moment.

Considering that the max you can pay for an EFT is $50, and that cash withdrawal fees are only $1.50 per transactions, then we're not really losing out on a lot of money. On principle, it's wrong, but we're not really going to be hurt by it.

On the other hand, I'm highly worried about the stories on here that people cards are being declined by hotels.

The fees and hotels declining the card are real.

I have receipts showing between $1.5 to $3 to withdraw from an ATM, plus BGRS tacking on $3 to process the withdrawal.
If I max out our card's withdrawal limit, we can anticipate pay between $67.50 and $90.

Our next problem, it's been 4 weeks and our HHT claims are not finalized. BGRS has done nothing with the claims, and the outstanding funds.
Unless these announced changes happen this week, our move is proceeding under the current challenges this month.

kratz said:
The fees and hotels declining the card are real.

I have receipts showing between $1.5 to $3 to withdraw from an ATM, plus BGRS tacking on $3 to process the withdrawal.
If I max out our card's withdrawal limit, we can anticipate pay between $67.50 and $90.

Our next problem, it's been 4 weeks and our HHT claims are not finalized. BGRS has done nothing with the claims, and the outstanding funds.
Unless these announced changes happen this week, our move is proceeding under the current challenges this month.

The hotel declining is what I'm really worried about. Did you have issues at all hotels, or just some hotels?

As for the fees, if you have a spouse, then considering you get a full month's salary as a posting allowance, $650 in a moving grant, $208 a day in meals and incidents (during pack/load/clean, TLN, and Interim Lodging), land transfer tax covered, real estate commission coverered (that's $10k-$20k that civilian would never get), I'm really not worried about $90 in bank fees that I used to not have to pay for. On principle, yes, f*** you Brookfield; but am I worried? Not a bit.

When I spoke to BGRS last night for a question about an advance, I also asked about the stories I'm hearing about hotels declining the card.  What the BGRS agent said to do was to book with your normal credit card but when you checkout tell them you want to pay with the BGRS card, the same with rental card.  Has anyone tried this to see if it will actually work?

stellarpanther said:
When I spoke to BGRS last night for a question about an advance, I also asked about the stories I'm hearing about hotels declining the card.  What the BGRS agent said to do was to book with your normal credit card but when you checkout tell them you want to pay with the BGRS card, the same with rental card.  Has anyone tried this to see if it will actually work?

We only stayed at one hotel for our HHT and did just as your BGRS agent suggested...result....declined. Both the CR and DR payments would not work.
During the TNL and ILM parts of our move, we are booked into three different hotels, and if next week's snowstorm goes as predicted, we'll be in a hotel longer than BGRS is willing to advance. We are bracing for these hotels to not accept the card either.

That missing $90 in fees is 92% of a day's net pay. We don't have a house to profit from. and relying on the Movement Grant to pay the cost is as bad as BGRS agents telling us to use it for their fees.

Specifically, and for the most part, members are voicing their displeasure about the new BGRS ReloCard and the administrative fees that were not transparent when the contract was implemented. In addition, there are a number of unforeseen restrictions concerning how members can actually use the ReloCard. All of us agree that the member should not bear the cost of these new fees or the inconveniences of these restrictions

The italicized part is the part that bothers me. Either the CAF and PSPC screwed up and didn't read the fine print or BGRS is in violation of their contract. Either option is unacceptable.

kratz said:
We don't have a house to profit from.

Could always be worse, I'm hoping not to lose more than the the max $15k core HEA ($4k out of pocket in that case) assuming there's enough HHTs to sell to. Hopefully there's no surprise gotchas with delivery of HEA.

Lumber said:
I'm actually very encouraged at the moment.

Considering that the max you can pay for an EFT is $50, and that cash withdrawal fees are only $1.50 per transactions, then we're not really losing out on a lot of money. On principle, it's wrong, but we're not really going to be hurt by it.

On the other hand, I'm highly worried about the stories on here that people cards are being declined by hotels.

I don’t mind paying fees but let me select a service and have options. Option 1 EFT to my personal bank account (no waiting for card in mail)
Option 2 EFT to relocard !

If there is only one option it’s a real downer.

Someone either has there hand in the honey jar or typical anal-ism about tracking what penny goes where and look how that is working out.

Why the AJAG is concerned about BGrS having our bank info and paying us like employees is just embarrassing. We give out our financial info all the time. We lose bank cards and credit cards we may even fall into an online scam or two. Our banks have the fees built in to protect us. Insurance’s and more resources to keep our info safe. It’s just strange because I have never heard a soldier say bgrs shouldn’t have there bank info!

kratz said:
We only stayed at one hotel for our HHT and did just as your BGRS agent suggested...result....declined. Both the CR and DR payments would not work.
During the TNL and ILM parts of our move, we are booked into three different hotels, and if next week's snowstorm goes as predicted, we'll be in a hotel longer than BGRS is willing to advance. We are bracing for these hotels to not accept the card either.

That missing $90 in fees is 92% of a day's net pay. We don't have a house to profit from. and relying on the Movement Grant to pay the cost is as bad as BGRS agents telling us to use it for their fees.

Hotel/rental car issues are laid out in the documentation that comes when you receive your card in the mail.  It suggests exactly what BGRS is saying because quite often pre-paid do not work well when you have to put a "hold" on the card to cover potential incidental expenses beyond the room rate.  The other issue is that people aren't putting enough advances on the card to cover the cost of the hotel + unforeseen incidentals - hence why it is getting declined.  You need to ensure there is enough balance on the card to cover the cost.  Now, this may not have been the case to many, as seen in this thread - and they're just flat out declined regardless.  I just got the card last night and we'll see how it goes (ps - registered on BGRS 5 March.  Received card March 20)

By the way, does anyone know how to conduct an online chat with your representative?  I don't see an option to do so on the Correspondence page.

Back