• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Obtaining a PMQ above entitlement

ACS_Tech

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently in a sticky spot at the moment and hopefully can receive a little bit of help.  I recently had to sell my condo and had the intention of moving into a PMQ.  However, the sale fell through about a week before the closing date and my anticipated clear-in to the Q.  Now, I have sold my condo (again), but CFHA tells me they don't have a PMQ to which I am entitled.  It is just me and my wife, no kids.  CFHA has told me that it's too bad that we don't have kids because their are tons of 4 bedrooms available, but since we're not entitled to them, we can't have them.  I have looked through the CFAOs and QR&Os on Married Quarters but I can't seem to find anything specifically on size entitlements other than CFAO 208-1 Annex A.

What I'd like to know is, is it possible to request a type of PMQ which is above entitlement but in great abundance?  I'd be more than happy to pay the difference in the shelter charge and I'm mainly interested in not being homeless come our closing date in less than a month from now.  CFHA has given us the run around and basically said, "We'll see what we can do, but don't hold your breath".  I find it difficult to believe that a military member can't get a PMQ when at least 25% (and probably more) PMQs are currently vaccant, and many are being occupied by single guys and civilians.  Not to mention a couple I know of that are inhabiting some illegally, but that's a whole other story... Not only that, but this year's APS is pretty much done for.  How many 4 bedroom PMQs do they think are going to be taken in the next, say, 6 months?  I'd even be willing to sign a waiver stating that I will take a 4 bedroom but move to a 2 or 3 Bedroom as one becomes available, paying the difference in rent until that time.

In any case, if anyone has had a similar problem or can point me to some references, it would be appreciated.  I think I might have to go through the C of C, but they won't do anything for me unless I do all the legwork and have some sort of reference.  The thing that grinds my gears is I get the impression that CFHA really wants to hold off moving people into PMQs that haven't been renovated yet so they can charge people more for the ones that have been redone.  One of the clerks at CFHA here even told me 90% of the work being done is just cosmetic.  :mad:

I would try the CoC option anyway. And I know some people managed to get Qs above their entitlement.

The thing that grinds my gears is I get the impression that CFHA really wants to hold off moving people into PMQs that haven't been renovated yet so they can charge people more for the ones that have been redone. 

That's funny... because it's true. A buddy of mine did put in for a 4 bedroom (with only 2 kids). They said no in the first place, then they called and offered  one of the renovated ones. CFHA have a hard time to rent those (rent is pretty much 100$ more than the old ones). My buds said no he couldn't afford the extra 100$. So CFHA withdraw ed their offer...

OK they can claim that they have to renovate some and leave them vacant for a bit. But...we know very few people would pay for the new ones...they have been too ambitious ,too greedy when they hiked the price.

edited for spelling

Happens all the time here in Shearwater from what I'm seeing. I'd like to see actual regs on this - one of my pet peeves is seeing more than one family in a large Q - I'm nearly positive it's happening on my street.

Another angle, if applicable; if the four bedroom is one of the ones with a bathroom downstairs, you may be eligible if someone in the family has a medical condition - if you can argue that having a bathroom downstairs would be a significant QOL issue, they may give you one. I know of folks here with bladder/colon issues that are either childless or one-child families living in what used to be the Snr Ofrs quarters here (ie. huge 3/4 bdrms).

Probably useless to you, but you never know. Otherwise, hopefully the CoC will be able to back you up.

go check out QR&O 28.06 and this is from cfha

What determines the size of MQ that I am allocated?

The size of the unit that you are allocated is based on the number of family members as described in QR&O 28.06. DND residential housing units are allocated based on the number of bedrooms rather than the number of square feet.

28.06 – ENTITLEMENT TO OCCUPY FAMILY HOUSING

(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an officer or non-commissioned member and the member’s family are entitled to occupy family housing where (1 September 2001)

(a) accommodation is available;

(b) the member is married or in a common-law partnership, or is single and has a dependent child related by blood, marriage or adoption legally or in fact who is claimed as a dependant for income tax purposes, provided that the spouse or common-law partner or dependent child, as applicable, normally resides with the member; (1 September 2001)

(c) no member of the family refuses immunization treatment, including vaccination and inoculation, if, in the opinion of the officer commanding the command, refusal to submit to that treatment endangers the health of other personnel; and

(d) the member and the member’s family observe all regulations and orders governing the occupancy of family housing. (1 September 2001)

(2) An officer described in paragraph (1) of article 28.01 (Obligation to Occupy Quarters) is entitled to occupy family housing regardless of the officer’s family status. (1 September 2001)

(M) (1 September 2001)

There is nothing in there regarding the size of the family vs the size of the PMQs.  IMO, if there are PMQs available, they cannot prevent you from renting.  I would talk to my CoC if I was you. 

On a sidenote, that's weird (and ridiculous in my opinion) that any officer (regardless of his family status) can rent a Q but not every NCM...

Max

Back