• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer going NCM... does IAP BOTP CAP count for anything?

Goose

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi- before I get my head chewed off, I HAVE searched quite thoroughly for answers to these questions and haven't been able to find them. What I have found seems to be either seriously outdated or from the wrong perspective, so if anyone has the information that I am looking for, it would be greatly appreciated. All of the information I could find in other threads were PLQ to IAP/BOTP, but I am wondering what the current course equivalencies are right now for IAP BOTP if one were to resign commission (please, no rants on what a 'bad idea' this is, I've heard it all) and go NCM. At the same time, is it a good idea to do CAP before you do this and get the leadership training under your belt? Is CAP equivalent to anything NCM' side? I don't need an analysis of 'goals and life direction' here, I'm genuinely curious about how the two sides of this coin line up, if they do at all. Thanks so much anyone who can help... I've been asking around for quite some time but no-one seems to know the answers, just their opinions. - sorry, just read over a few things, this thread should be under the training umbrella- i don't know how to move it, my apologies

To keep this on topic...if you are able to access the DIN/DWAN, this link might be helpful:

Accreditation and Equivalency program

If you go to the PLQ link, you will see where it says *For example, it is also possible for NCMs to be granted CF PLQ equivalency after having successfully completed BOTP.*

There is contact info for CDA listed, if you don't have DIN access, I PMd you it.

I definately didn't say it was a bad idea to be an NCM- in fact, I said that I was thinking of doing just that. Thanks eye-in-the-sky. Im not able to get on the DIN just yet, but will be able to sometime next week. What I'd really like to know though is if someone were considering this, should they throw in the memo before or after CAP- would it just be a rediculously hard waste of time, or would it help in the long run.

Jane~Doe,
Logically if BOTP is usually found to be equivalent to PLQ then CAP would along the lines of Solider Qualification plus. If you are NOT thinking about remaining in the Army  then CAP is kinda useless for you. Why learn to camp when you will be aboard ship or in hotels? If you are looking at an Army NCM trade then  it might be useful.  Try to get into the BPSO to discuss than they may have better info for you. PM if you need some research done.

CFR FCS

JLC/JNCO (PLQ now I guess), deployment experience and a nicely crafted memo allowed me to skip CAP, if this helps at all for what worked. BOTC/BOTP was in my experience equivalent to the JLC portion of the JLC/JNCO course - finishing with Small Part Taskings, whereas the JNCO portion took it up a notch with section attacks, recce planning/orders/patrols, defensive and withdrawal ops. CAP from what I have read and heard from peers who did the course is equivalent in content to the JNCO portion. Now, will BOTP (being JLC equivalent) be enough to be exempt PLQ, I don't know for certain (given that PLQ Mod 6 deals with section-level offensive/defensive tactics), but with CAP, you should be more than qualified to skip having to do PLQ.

Long story short, it's worth investigating, but in my opinion BOTP may not be enough to cover PLQ complete (being a modular course). You may be able to skip portions, much like CLS' plan to allow combat-experienced Ptes and Cpls to skip most of PLQ (only admin bits) to get their masterjacks.

thanks. it sounds like it might be in my best interest, but I was just reading a thread about how medics don't have to do SQ anyways... but it was from 2005.... can anyone put a more recent spin on that one?

Jane~Doe said:
thanks. it sounds like it might be in my best interest, but I was just reading a thread about how medics don't have to do SQ anyways... but it was from 2005.... can anyone put a more recent spin on that one?

Knew a reservist doing BMQ summer 2007.  While the remainder of his course continued to SQ the following month, he went home as his trade didn't require it.  Don't know about reg force.

OK - My take on this:

BMQ = QL2 (old title)
SQ = QL3 (old title)
Not sure about QL4 (MOC qual)

PLQ (Mods 1-5) = JLC (CLC) (old title)
PLQ (Mod 6) = JNCO (CLC) (old title)

BOTP = JLC (CLC)
CAP = JNCO (CLC)

What trade are you thinking of going, this could also help your decision, and if I may ask, why do you want to transfer?

Ack. Been too far removed from the recruiting process to have the latest skinny on what each qual entails. Did some searching and got the listing of the new quals.
Back to the topic at hand.

There was a guy in my old unit that initially started off as an officer.  He completed the IAP and BOTP, then he chose to transfer to Int.  He was forced to go Int NCM first (long story, and rediculous IMO).  He requested to have the PLQ equivalency granted based on his completion of the IAP/BOTP and it was granted.  A few years later he became a MCpl.  If you take it upon  yourself to complete the CAP then I would say you are guarenteed to have it written off.

On another topic, just out of curiosity, what trade are you, and what inspires you to switch from officer to NCM?  Im not saying its a terrible idea, but am curious as to why. 

Jane~Doe said:

Medics are definitely doing SQ, as we are a "purple trade" and can be posted to any environment. (it is just not a requirement to be QL3 qualified is all. But it is something we do afterwards if we haven't done it before)

Jane,

I just finished my PLQ before Christmas, and on my course was a Cpl who transfered back to NCM from the UTPNCM program.  He completed his IAP/BOTC in the summer of '07, however due to the new PLQ course material he no longer had equivalency and therefore had to take the new PLQ course.  With that being said, I cannot say for certain whether CAP will give you the PLQ equivalency or not, contact CDA and they will be able to answer that for you.

Does anyone have any new info of this? I am in a similar boat, as I have recently come back to the NCM ranks after completing CAP/BMOQ(L). I am pretty sure PLQ is a write off but I am curious to see what else. With the old system of JLC/JNCO(ISCC) that I remember, it would have been a MCpls course. As it stands BMOQ(L) is a section commander's course aka a sergeant's course. Before anyone says anything, I am not equating a BMOQ(L) graduate to an experienced Sergeant, I am just saying the skills taught are sergeant level skills. Wouldn't that give you some credit to ILQ?

If I look at the infantry officer track which is what the army bases everything off of. BMOQ is PLQ, BMOQ(L) is your 6A and phase 3 is your Warrants course. In terms of skills anyway. Following that logic, a CAP/BMOQ(L) graduate would be "qualified" as a infantry section commander or SGT.

Anyway, just curious as I want to provide the right info to my CoC when I write my PLAR memo.

BMOQ or BOTC completion automatically grants the PLQ on reversion to NCM as part of the PLAR process.  For ILP/ILQ qual you need to have been a commissioned officer fully ODP 2 qualified including the OPME program (6 OPME Credits).

It is not an automatic.

Source: http://cda-acd.mil.ca/j3ops/milequiv/plq-eng.asp

CDA has the authority to grant equivalency to the Primary Leadership Qualification (CF PLQ), code AINR, to members who initially took leadership training with the Regular Force and/or the Primary Reserve Force. For example, it is also possible for NCMs to be granted CF PLQ equivalency after having successfully completed BMOQ.(AIPB)

The following documents are required to submit a request for CF PLQ Equivalency:

Prior Learning Assessment Recognition (PLAR) form (word or pdf)
Letter of Recommendation from the Commanding Officer supporting the granting of the CF PLQ based on the members’s performance when placed in leadership situations (in relation to the four pillars of IT&E),

All leadership course reports (CF 377) and other significant course reports (if deemed appropriate),

Summary of member’s career highlights in Regular Force and/or Reserve Force (especially when there are breaks in service),

Summary of training acquired by member while away from CF (if applicable), and

Regular Force and/or Reserve Force MPRRs (both or whichever is applicable or CF 1007 for Reservists).
How to submit a request for CF PLQ Equivalency:

By Mail:
Equivalencies Coordinator
Canadian Defence Academy
P.O. Box 17000, Station Forces
Kingston, ON K7K 7B4

By Email:
DWAN: +CDA.PLAR-EEFA@CDA-ACD@Kingston
Internet: CDA.PLAR-EEFA@forces.gc.ca

By Fax:
1-613-541-6998

Shamrock said:
It is not an automatic.

Source: http://cda-acd.mil.ca/j3ops/milequiv/plq-eng.asp

References shown at the bottom of that Website are out of date!  Refer to CDA Directive 01/12 which provides more current info (ie; Equivalency Validation Matrix) with regards to "common" NCM PD equivalencies.

Tcm621 said:
Does anyone have any new info of this? I am in a similar boat, as I have recently come back to the NCM ranks after completing CAP/BMOQ(L). I am pretty sure PLQ is a write off but I am curious to see what else. With the old system of JLC/JNCO(ISCC) that I remember, it would have been a MCpls course. As it stands BMOQ(L) is a section commander's course aka a sergeant's course. Before anyone says anything, I am not equating a BMOQ(L) graduate to an experienced Sergeant, I am just saying the skills taught are sergeant level skills. Wouldn't that give you some credit to ILQ?

If I look at the infantry officer track which is what the army bases everything off of. BMOQ is PLQ, BMOQ(L) is your 6A and phase 3 is your Warrants course. In terms of skills anyway. Following that logic, a CAP/BMOQ(L) graduate would be "qualified" as a infantry section commander or SGT.

Anyway, just curious as I want to provide the right info to my CoC when I write my PLAR memo.

From what I've read of the TP, CAP/BMOQ(L) sounds an aweful lot like PLQ mod 6. Section attacks, defensives, and patrols. What do you see on there that are "sergeant level skills" that aren't covered in PLQ?

Back