• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oh no,another Neverendum Referendum

Exarecr

Inactive
Reaction score
Here we go again folks. The powers to be in Quebec are obviously bored or feel neglected by the media because no other purpose except to irritate or draw attention can explain this stupid regression to Independence talk. P.Q. Leader Andre Boisclair declared yesterday, "I will not wait for a Referendum before declaring an Independent Quebec to the International Media". Jean charest responded that Quebec could indeed be partitioned,in the event of a separation vote. He then of course retracted his statement. Me thinks I smell a Liberal ploy here to get votes back to who Quebecers must have in power, Mr. Dion, a fellow  French Canadian. Scare all Canadians into another Neverendum Referendum. Tell all Canadians only a Quebecer can keep the country together. Pathetic, predictable, and so Liberal in its pettiness. 

Why not let them separate...it would end all of these issues...all of the big business in Qc would move out of Qc and into Canada...
A number of French Civilian Instructors at CFLS have told their students, "You should have let us separate"...
I haven't really been made to feel welcome as a fellow Canadian in the SJ area...so why not let them separate...

HL

Hot Lips said:
Why not let them separate...it would end all of these issues..
It would also tear our country apart. 
IMO a more reasonable question would be: "Why let a small group of seperatists gain independence for Quebec when the rest of the country, including the majority in Quebec want Canada to remain a Canada with Quebec?"

It is our country. Any decision should have a vote of the entire population of Canada.

Ive always wondered how this would work. Does quebec, if actually able to get the vote, believe that the natives of that province would let them go anywhere. I think they could put a stop to the whole thing. Natives arent going to stand by and have their land traded off again. Just an aspect ive always wondered about

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/mcauger/?p=606140839

Le Mercredi 7 mars 2007

Nouveau Boisclair, vieux problème

André Boisclair pouvait penser qu’il avait finalement «tourné le coin» après un début de campagne difficile. Mais le voici aux prises avec un problème récurrent pour le PQ : comment parler des enjeux de la campagne électorale sans que sa propre promesse de tenir un référendum le plus tôt possible revienne constamment sur le tapis.

Malheureusement pour les péquistes, qui dit référendum dit toujours plomberie. Que fait-on de la Loi sur la clarté? À partir de quand sollicite-t-on la reconnaissance internationale? Quand doit-on envisager une déclaration unilatérale d’indépendance? Et pendant qu’on s’occupe de ces questions, on laisse passer la parade de la campagne électorale.

C’est plutôt embêtant pour le PQ quand on sait que les deux-tiers des Québécois ne souhaitent pas de référendum au cours du prochain mandat, selon notre dernier sondage CROP.

Le pire, c’est que le débat est surtout théorique. Parce que la toute première des conditions gagnantes, ce n’est pas de former le gouvernement, mais d’arriver au pouvoir avec un pourcentage des voix suffisant pour que le Oui ait des chances de l’emporter. Ce n’est vraiment pas ce qui se profile à l’horiz

Reste qu’autant René Lévesque en 1976 que Jacques Parizeau en 1994 avaient réussi à rester sur leurs messages de campagne électorale. Pour cela, il faut la capacité de faire une critique pertinente du gouvernement en place et un programme qui soit capable de capturer l’imagination des électeurs.

Hier, tout ce que M. Boisclair a pu faire, c’est d’invoquer le Seigneur à la fin de son  point de presse : «Mon Dieu, sommes-nous en campagne référendaire?»

Depuis quelques jours, M. Boisclair semblait pourtant avoir repris de l’aplomb. On disait qu’il avait fini par se débarrasser de sa langue de bois. Fini le robot, voici le nouveau Boisclair qui parle comme tout le monde.

Le seul problème – et celui qui était prévisible dès le départ – est que le nouveau Boisclair, celui qui parle comme tout le monde, doit parler d’un sujet dont les deux-tiers du monde ne veulent pas entendre parler.

I edited this to speak to the issue of this thread. See link for full article.

im a little ignorant. can i get a translation?took french from grade 1-10 and cant speak or read at all. the system is flawed.

Hot Lips said:
Why not let them separate...it would end all of these issues...all of the big business in Qc would move out of Qc and into Canada...
A number of French Civilian Instructors at CFLS have told their students, "You should have let us separate"...
I haven't really been made to feel welcome as a fellow Canadian in the SJ area...so why not let them separate...

HL
The instructors who made those comments should have been reported to the CofC.

You did not feel welcome in St-Jean because, while it is very much a Military town with a long Military history, the region is also home to a large number of separatists.
I can also think of a few places in Canada where Francophones are not made to feel welcome as a fellow Canadians... but I also understand that there are ignorants everywhere.

Well before i start i'm a federalist. First of all just because Quebec would seperate that would not mean all the big business  over here would run away.
2nd The present PQ leader is not very talented infact the popularity of the PQ isactualy quite low.
3rd: Mr Dion and Mr Charest do not get along. Any person who follows the Quebec  political scene knows that Charest and Harper are buddies.The Quebec liberals HAVE NO CONNECTION with the liberals of Dion. By the way the only federalist party in Quebec are the Liberals of Charest.(ADQ changes from seperatist to federalist depending on the week)).
4th The native can't stop the seperation of Quebec( ;D ) if the majority has voted for it.

Relax, Breath and Read

P

Jungle said:
The instructors who made those comments should have been reported to the CofC.

You did not feel welcome in St-Jean because, while it is very much a Military town with a long Military history, the region is also home to a large number of separatists.
I can also think of a few places in Canada where Francophones are not made to feel welcome as a fellow Canadians... but I also understand that there are ignorants everywhere.

Having just returned from St-Jean, and having alot of detailed knowledge of events up there, I would bet my mid-month pay that it wouldn't make a bit of difference.  Trust me.  I am not getting into details but, its a...different world up there.

For those who will wade in here, and call BS on that, stop and ask yourself if you have actually ever been to CFLRS, CFLS or SJ at all, and if the answer is "no" or "someone I know who is a MCpl/Sgt/etc and is posted there" then you really have no idea.

I will say this, for each of the "negative" people up there, there is a "positive" one, however, the negative ones are the ones leaving the impression on the anglo's that go thru that place.  Unfortunate, but I would suggest true.

rReporting them to the CoC would not have changed a thing, IMHO.  And yup, I WAS there.

Mud Recce Man said:
Reporting them to the CoC would not have changed a thing, IMHO.  And yup, I WAS there.
Yeah, I WAS there too... for 4 years. I still know a lot of the staff there, including the CO.
If you think reporting wouldn't work, ask...

Mud Recce Man said:
Having just returned from St-Jean, and having alot of detailed knowledge of events up there, I would bet my mid-month pay that it wouldn't make a bit of difference.  Trust me.  I am not getting into details but, its a...different world up there.

For those who will wade in here, and call BS on that, stop and ask yourself if you have actually ever been to CFLRS, CFLS or SJ at all, and if the answer is "no" or "someone I know who is a MCpl/Sgt/etc and is posted there" then you really have no idea.

I will say this, for each of the "negative" people up there, there is a "positive" one, however, the negative ones are the ones leaving the impression on the anglo's that go thru that place.  Unfortunate, but I would suggest true.

rReporting them to the CoC would not have changed a thing, IMHO.  And yup, I WAS there.

+1 RMR, Been there done that, five years in Bagotville.  Couldn't wait to get the hell out. This isn't news to all the Anglos who have lived in Quebec for generations, a lot of them have given up and moved to Ontario. Language laws, language police and school restrictions made it quite clear that live for an Anglo in the PQ Quebec will be difficult. "Pure laine"  is the preferred background for success in business. The Quebec economy is in serious financial trouble, politicans don't want to address the problem rather they want to get elected.
As you say there are positives, I still follow the French media print and TV.
I could go on but  for any Anglo posted to Quebec there definitely are problems to deal with on a daily basis.
And yes I am retired so I don't have to keep a smiley face on this issue.

Good writeup Sgt Cpl.  ;)

formerarmybrat23 said:
im a little ignorant. can i get a translation?took french from grade 1-10 and cant speak or read at all. the system is flawed.

formerarmybrat23,

There are a lot of good instant translation programs on the internet such as "Alta Vista Babel Translator". Google it or look it up. Then copy and paste any article in the language you want- it's easy to figure out.

i heard of those. but sometimes they dont work very well. I used it in high school to write a speech for french class. Most of it was completly wrong. Guess i should have tried to learn french instead of cheating

The Quebec economy is in serious financial trouble, politicans don't want to address the problem rather they want to get elected.

Baden Guy - you've probably hit the nail on the head here - The PQ and ADQ have no concrete strategy that can address economics, nor can they diminish the threat that separation poses to Quebec's economy. They need to draw attention away from the fact that they are a one trick pony. Focus on separation, and the masses will forget that you've got nothing else to offer.

The ardent separatists are like my young son - whenever he didn't get what he wanted, he threatened to leave home and find another family - man, was he surprised when I pushed him barefoot out the back door and said "have fun, hope somebody takes you in" - we haven't heard that threat from him since.......

As for the Quebec aboriginals, I do believe that the Supreme Court ruled in 1998 that they would remain the responsibility of Canada. And, since they are the 'majority' in the mineral & hydro rich north, I'd be inclined to listen to them.

Like I always said:
when the next referendum comes, I will vote yes, and I my wish is that everybody votes yes. Then I would pack my stuff in a U-Haul rented truck with a Alberta license plate on it and cross the Outaouais river, find a nice green spot, pull my camping chair out, and crack open my 2-4 of Molson Canadian and watch what was once my mother province sink.

Seriously I would never vote yes on that, and more and more people that would've vote yes once have change their views. Sovereignty is dying in Quebec, witch is good, it's about time that we jump in the 21 first century wagon

Etienne said:
Like I always said:
when the next referendum comes, I will vote yes, and I my wish is that everybody votes yes. Then I would pack my stuff in a U-Haul rented truck with a Alberta license plate on it and cross the Outaouais river, find a nice green spot, pull my camping chair out, and crack open my 2-4 of Molson Canadian and watch what was once my mother province sink.

There's room for you here in the Coastal Mountains of BC!  (As long as you're bringing that 2-4 along).

Quebec is MY "Mother Province" as well - many of my relatives remain there - and I understand your frustration with the whole thing.

Roy

Jungle said:
Yeah, I WAS there too... for 4 years. I still know a lot of the staff there, including the CO.
If you think reporting wouldn't work, ask Arron...

This is CFLS though, not CFLRS.  Different CoC.  Aaron is with CFLRS IIRC. (which I was briefly as well...and didn't have any issues there myself, but I was staff too).

Either way, I can only speak of what I know about, and...thats it.

I stick by my point that not much would come out of reporting something like this to the CFLS CoC in St-Jean.

This referendum noise actually terrifies me.
I don't see any upside for anyone.

I see Quebec separatism as an ethnic nationalism, much like the serbs in Yugoslavia.
I needn't say more. No upside for Quebec.

Even if they could separate - the rest of Canada becomes the big bad imperialist power.
No upside for us.

The economic and political cost would be ruinous-for everyone.
The personal and human cost would be beyond our current comprehension.

Yes the natives living in Quebec would play a pivotal role in the whole thing.
The rest of us would be obliged to support them.

At best I see Quebec in economic ruin and Ottawa spending billions to keep it on life support.

The Federal government needs to spell out what Canadas terms would be to "free Quebec".

?

My understanding of this over the years was there would be no bloodshead.  Quebec, if successful in seperating would become its OWN independant country. 

I had never pictured this being anything like the FRY.  I thought, at best, there might be some name-calling and squabbling over current "federal" assets that exist in the province of Quebec, and stuff like "would we need passports to cross the border on the way to Upper Canada.

Have I misread your post?  Personal and human cost?

Back