• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Majority Government 2022-2026 (?)

Meanwhile, Manitoba is in the Stone Age. You can only return beer bottles and cans for deposit at beer vendors only. All other cans and bottles go in the recycling bin/garbage can.
That's the current Ontario situation as well...

That's the current Ontario situation as well...
It's not just beer bottles and cans you can return in Ontario. You can return any cans/bottles from the Beer Store/LCBO including wine, liquor, coolers, non-alcoholic beers, etc. I'm sure you can also return any beer/wine cans bottles purchased from non-Beer Store/LCBO locations as how would the counter person know if a particular vintage was sold at the LCBO or just the winery...or if your bottle of liquor was from Duty Free?

Only the beer store takes returns. There was a plan to roll out universal deposits on beverage containers, but the current government scrapped it.

Interesting double-whammy here ....
I've seen "we'll cover your tuition if you agree to hang around" schemes fail in the past because, well, there weren't enough teeth in whatever agreements were signed with whoever was covering the tuition to keep docs from GTFO'ing anyway. We'll see what happens with the legislation that ends up being grunted out.
I don't know what Ford has said during his stand-up routines but the government presser makes no mention of 'foreign' or 'international'; it only mentions Ontarians. They're also going to have to ramp up residency slots because other provinces will no doubt put retaliatory rules around theirs.

I'm going to guess most corner stores don't have much storage space for empties - not to mention it doesn't look like someone's going to go to the outlets to pick up empties.

Yeah, it's up to the vendors to know the details (no such thing as free lunch from any government), but as you know with other levels of government, the devil's in the (regulatory) details.

But hey, Team Blue's the party of small business, right? ;)
Convenience stores (as defined) are exempt from accepting empties (perhaps for now). As far as the grocery stores, this wasn't anything new - perhaps the corporate offices failed to read the fine print. The Beer Store can't exist primarily as a bottle return network than sells beer.

Deposit return vending machines work a whole lot better with cans than bottles.

Only the beer store takes returns. There was a plan to roll out universal deposits on beverage containers, but the current government scrapped it.
Maybe I'm reading @RangerRay wrong but it seems to me that he's saying that in Manitoba only the Beer stores accept returns and they only accept BEER bottles and cans.
Meanwhile, Manitoba is in the Stone Age. You can only return beer bottles and cans for deposit at beer vendors only. All other cans and bottles go in the recycling bin/garbage can.
You're correct that in Ontario returns for deposit are only accepted at the Beer Store, but they don't only accept BEER bottles and cans, they also accept wine, liquor, cooler, etc. bottles and cans. Definitely not universal, but covers all the containers that you're actually paying a deposit for at the Beer Store/LCBO. Of course all non-deposit containers go in the Blue Box.

I don't know what Ford has said during his stand-up routines but the government presser makes no mention of 'foreign' or 'international'; it only mentions Ontarians. They're also going to have to ramp up residency slots because other provinces will no doubt put retaliatory rules around theirs.

To be fair, most other provinces (BC being the exception) already does this for Med and Law schools. Most have X% required from their province (Dal and MUN use “the Maritimes” rather than NS or NL, respectively).

The Military Medical and Legal training programs (MMTP, MLTP) are considered “from that province” regardless of actual province of residence. So, I could apply to U of A and be considered an Albertan, even though I have never resided there.

I read this bit from the info-machine link to mean "foreign/international" without using the words foreign or international ...
1729961332577.png
... with the media content likely coming out of questions during the news conference.

To be fair, most other provinces (BC being the exception) already does this for Med and Law schools. Most have X% required from their province (Dal and MUN use “the Maritimes” rather than NS or NL, respectively).

The Military Medical and Legal training programs (MMTP, MLTP) are considered “from that province” regardless of actual province of residence. So, I could apply to U of A and be considered an Albertan, even though I have never resided there.
I did hear somebody quoted (him or a minister) that it ultimately wasn't a huge departure from current policy.

I read this bit from the info-machine link to mean "foreign/international" without using the words foreign or international ...
View attachment 88687
... with the media content likely coming out of questions during the news conference.
Agree, but it will have the same impact on students from other provinces. I guess coming on the heels of federal immigrant and TFW news, "foreign/international" grabs more headlines than restricting applications from Manitoba.

Back