• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Organization of Armoured Regiments

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Been out of the loop for a long time now and am just wondering with the coming of the Leopard 2s, will the regiments still have troops of 4, a squadron of 16 plus shq etc?

Short answer:  It's still up in the air.

Longer answer: Staff are still figuring out what is within the art of the possible, based on PYs and equipment available, which are competing with other demands within the larger Army and the CF.

But have no fear, shortly some "expert" will come along with the answer, which for some inexplicable reason only they know.

From what I've seen every 8-10 years we reorganise and it then take about 6-7 years to work out all the kinks. does anyone else see a problem here or is just me? ::) ???

Current organization is 3 Tps of 4 plus an SHQ.  With or without Leo 2s... and that is the organization for the next ROTO and the 2 previous.  The 4th Tp is the OP reserve Tp.

Mjohns said:
Current organization is 3 Tps of 4 plus an SHQ.  With or without Leo 2s... and that is the organization for the next ROTO and the 2 previous.  The 4th Tp is the OP reserve Tp.

Sir, since you seem to be in the know...

I've heard the new tanks are manned overseas by pers from all RegF armd regiments...if so, will this trend continue or will the tank gig fall to the LDSH (RC) exclusively? Thanks.

popnfresh said:
Sir, since you seem to be in the know...

I've heard the new tanks are manned overseas by pers from all RegF armd regiments...if so, will this trend continue or will the tank gig fall to the LDSH (RC) exclusively? Thanks.
\

At the moment tanks are going to remain with the Strathcona's, however; the RCD will be augmenting a Troop for TF3-08

Maverick894 said:
\

At the moment tanks are going to remain with the Strathcona's, however; the RCD will be augmenting a Troop for TF3-08

Roger. Thanks again.

Question to Mjohns as well. Have they deployed the LAV TUA over seas yet or is that still in trials and such? Or have they even got enough of them yet to do anything?

Popnfresh:

Yes currently each RegF regiments is providing a Tp.  The SHQ and most of the echelon was drawn from 1CMBG as well.  One or two maintainers were drawn from other areas.  As noted 3-08 will provide elements as well as some of the SHQ elems (I honestly can't remember the exact breakdown).

I have seen hide nor hair of TUA here.  We worked with them extensively during the Cbt Tm Cmdr's course but that was the extent of it.  I know their traditional C/S of 7 has been suborned by the OMLT/POMLT elements here in theatre right now...

I don't believe they are here though.  In all honesty it is not a very good environment for them.  They can achieve standoff yes... which is great but by doing so they don't draw any actual contact... removed by moderator.  But that's just my opinion... so don't really trust it :)

Matt

Mjohns said:
...  In all honesty it is not a very good environment for them.  They can achieve standoff yes... which is great but by doing so they don't draw any actual contact... removed by moderator.
ITAS is one of the best optical surveillance systems we have in the army.  Mind you, it is possible to tripod mount ITAS if surveillance is all you want it for.

Troops,

OPSEC.

The Army.ca Staff

Maverick894 said:
\

Each armd regiment will be getting back it's tank sqn.

Last line diagram I saw was Armoured Regiment with Support Squadron, HQ, Tank Squadron and 2-3 (can't remember) Recce Sqdns.  Of course, with the Affiliated/Optimized Battlegroup things going on, this could all change in an instant.

Today, no 1 Regiment in any Corps is organized the same.  It all reminds me of the German Army in 1939 - TO&E is a CO thing.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Oh?  And when will this be?

I saw it on some OBG version 10 Diagrams.  But we all know that those, like our doctrine, are a solid way to predict the future....

One thing that may throw a little wrench in to the Leo 2 tank deployments across Canada is the bridges in all of the training ares.  Most of the bridges were built way back when, when they were built to accommodate the Centurion.  The Leo 1 did not pose a problem, being lighter than the old Cent, but the Leo 2 may pose a problem.

Also, a huge problem in Valcartier and Petawawa is suitable ranges.  Practicing sub-unit fire and movement, or battle runs, will be near impossible.

Back